Mike LaFleur out as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bicketybam, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Nyjets4eva, IIMeanDeanII and PJ4Ever like this.
  2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This is who I'd target

3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

no defense of Lafleur btw...

SOJAZ and Nyjets4eva like this.
  4. StealthDefense

StealthDefense Active Member

Losmeister likes this.
  5. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Kubiak fits that bill to a T. I would love to see the Jets bring in a guy like Kubiak. This guy has amassed such an impressive resume but, wouldn't it just really shine with a special luster if he could deliver a Superbowl to this beleaguered franchise.

SOJAZ, papapump and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Someday the Jets won't have coaches like LeFleur anymore ;)

7. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

If the Jets wanted him he would still be here as offensive coordinator of the New York Jets. Letting him talk to other teams is a nice way of saying get your ass out of here

SOJAZ, Borat, Nyjets4eva and 2 others like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I disagree with this. Zach would have likely done much better in San Francisco. How much? We don't know, but they would have handled him better.

You forget how Flacco and White were also terrible in this offense and they were veterans with more NFL experience.

That is the problem with the Jets. They literally make it a group effort to fail. I wish it was as easy as replacing the QB or replacing the OC. It was all bad.

In most Jets losses this year you can see the play calling was terrible, the QB play was terrible, and the o-line was terrible. It's a fact.

Borat, azhar80 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It also makes it easier for his buddy to let him go, knowing he won't be living in a van down by the river.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm not going to cry over losing MLF, but I don't think anyone better than him will come here. And good coaches don't generally think along the lines of "Well maybe they'll fire Saleh next year and then I'll get to be HC." They're more concerned with doing a good job than scheming for organizational power; the schemers are losers like Gase who know they can't get ahead on the merits, so they connive instead of coach.

Poeman, azhar80, Aero and 1 other person like this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Apparently

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I still think Pep Hamilton is the guy. He’s worked with a lot of different QB’s and head coaches. That includes both failures (2006-2009 with the 49ers and Bears) and successes (Andrew Luck, Herbert, 2004 Chad).

He’s worked in college at both FCS and D1 levels, as well as the XFL and NFL so he has worked with a lot of different types of offenses and personnel groupings. He’s also only 48, yet has been a coach for 25 years.

KY Jets Fan, SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5 and 2 others like this.
  13. Kotite's Revenge

If it’s Hackett, he’s bringing Aaron.

14. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

unsurprised. took the bullet for JD drafting a huge bust qb @ 2.

not without his flaws though. not a good play caller especially on opening script calls and didn't use the talent we had.

15. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Firstly, I don't think MLF was a scapegoat. He was simply in over his head, & not ready to be an OC.
    He designs some nice plays, but for the rest of his OC's responsibilities, he fell short. And most importantly, he was inflexible, & stubborn - - a terrible trait for an inexperienced anything. In order to grow into any position, in any endeavor, one needs to be open-minded & flexible.

In some sense, with Saleh likely still HC, I'm not so sure all this means he's on a "playoffs or your gone" ultimatum for '23.
    This may actually take some heat off of him, depending upon who they bring in... kinda like a re-set.
    My thinking is, if Woody, or the front office instigated this change (which I think they did), they may be satisfied with the D's progress, & the overall direction of the team, & give Saleh credit for that. So, with a new OC, it's almost like a mini-do-over. Not a complete overhaul, starting from scratch, but fixing what's broken.
    And to me, that's a real vote-of-confidence for Saleh. 'We like what you're doing, but this needs to be changed for you to be successful.'
    If this was an ultimatum situation, I think they would have just blown the whole thing up, & gone for a new HC.

So, to me, of course depending on who they bring in, I think for once, the organization probably made the best decision under the circumstances.
    As an aside, had they stayed status quo with the CS, while I would've still been rooting for the team, I really wouldn't be looking forward to next season. This really helped me to be more optimistic, & bullish on next season.

SOJAZ, apjbfc, Fiftynine and 7 others like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Before we make a potential OC's list, the biggest question we have to ask is: Does Matt LaFleur have any other brothers?

SOJAZ, Cman68, Acad23 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I'd be on the phone to the now 71 year old Mike Martz who is too old to worry about being head coach down the road.

18. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Agreed. This is all started when MLF couldn't a simple QB sneak into Zach to ice the TB game in `21. His plays are too exotic, gimmicky and take forever to develop. Zach may suck, but the OC did zero favors and probably only amplified the deer in headlights. Mike White then somehow regressed to that (ribs and all) - but it look like he was double-clutching based on the play design.

I'm not in total agreement with others on this board his play designs were great. Yea if you're A-Rod or Brady and can progress through reads super fast. We got a bit lucky Mike White was sharp enough to progress quickly (that's a rare trait for an unseasoned player) - but likely most QBs would fail in the system MLF implemented.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Again, I think it depends on who they bring in. If it's a guy who has been a HC and OC, I think what it says is: "You're good for now, but if you don't show us you're on the right track, we have your replacement ready and waiting".

Cman68 likes this.
  20. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

He probably thought that when he took the Denver job. Whoooops

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.