Mike Greenberg of ESPN Radio

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Aug 17, 2006.

1. GreenMachine

Age is just a number. I am old enough to recognize a bandwagon fan like you.

2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

And you will never, NEVER experience the joy of an unexpected victory, or experience anything like a fan can experience when watching his or her team - because you already know the outcome! How can a game excite you if you know the Jets are going to win? Did the Dolphins game in 2000 mean anything to you? You knew the Jets were going to win so how could it have meant the same as it did to someone who stayed up so late watching the Jets getting hammered before turning things around so spectacularly?

You have to watch a game without knowing the outcome for it to make you feel anything. You have to risk the disappointment to get the joy. It's like not letting yourself fall in love in case you get hurt.

Why don't you take your 'regime' to the ultimate and logical level? Tape every game, but don't watch it or even check the results. At the end of the year look to see if the Jets won the Super Bowl. If they didn't, burn all your tapes from that season, even the wins, and wait for the next, because if they don't win the Super Bowl what does a win in the regular season mean?

This is the logical extrapolation of your viewpoint.

And the Jets only play 16 times a year if they don't make the playoffs. Is three hours, 16 times a year really too much of an investment in time for you?

3. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Sweet - then we'd only see Champ's negative posts once a year!

(Although I did notice a post in another thread that wasn't negative at all!!!)

4. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

you are one troubled human being

5. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

8-8

I see us at .500 this year. And then? Excelsior!

6. Gator

Gator Active Member

What everyone is missing here is the fact that Champ always says how he goes to the games, how he posted in a thread this preseason how he 'got his tickets!!!!!'. Now he's saying he tapes all 16 games and only watches the wins. He even gave an estimate of how much time he was able to allocate to other things by not watching the 12 losses.

So, somewhere there is a lie.

7. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Its not too much for me. And because I don't normally watch games other than the Jets my wife doesn't feel like a football widow and my kids know I'm alive.

8. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

maybe he goes to the games AND tapes them. *shrugs*

9. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Good Point! Champ, care to comment?

10. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

It has been stated before by him that he does still own several seats but he doesnt live in state so he sells or gives the tickets away.
    He tapes the games so he can do more useful things and if they have won, he will watch the tape.
    I believe the only games he goes to are the Lphin games in Miami.

11. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

It's not a lie. He gives some of his tickets to family members, and I think sells some. He just doesn't want to give up his season tix.

12. Uhm a Jets Fan

Uhm a Jets Fan New Member

You all are a bunch of depressed Jets fan i felt the same way last year, this team has a whole different look. Though i do not care, because it's not fun unless you expect them to win. You'll see there gonna do better then what everone is saying. J-E-T-S 15-1 (well maybe not 15-1 but still)
    J-E-T-S

13. GreenMachine

If you read the thread...Only 1 guy is bitching. But don't let that get in your way.

14. Uhm a Jets Fan

Uhm a Jets Fan New Member

dude i didn't say anyone was bitching. I am just talking about the predictions of 8-8 and stuff. I did read half of the thread it was too long.

15. GreenMachine

8-8 is rather generous.

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

You have that totally correct! Thanks

17. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Wow kid, your going to be one depressed individual with hopes that high. Delusions on Granduer are fine and well, but you would probably do best to temper your expectations b/c you are in for a HUGE letdown if you think 8-8 is depressing.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Those expectations are not too high, they are very realistic.

-New coaching staff - will have to work VERY VERY HARD to be worse than Herm and Co.
    -Healthy roster - including a healthy offensive line and defensive front 7
    -Quarterback competition - better than having Bollinger/Testaverde running for their lives
    -Moderate schedule - not easy but by no means hard either, we get games against weak to beatable teams like BUF (2), MIA (2) [Disclaimer: imho the Dolphins are going to suck this year], DET, CLE, HOU, GB, MIN, OAK.

Just remember what an utter disaster last season was, losing half of our starting team to injury, and having an offensive gameplan that was as vanilla as I think we have seen in past 20 years... despite this we still pulled off 4 wins, and were a field goal away from 5. If last year's team could do that, then this years team should be able to win eight. Parcells took a 1-15 team that simply blew and brought it to 9-7 the next year... there's no reason Mangini, who is of Parcells/Bellicek ilk, can not do the same with a 4-12 team who had been expected to make a Super Bowl run and got lost half of its starters to injury.