Mike Gillislee thoughts?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Hobbes3259, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Fastest of the RBs available, and I know we have lots of Fla guys on the board?

Thoughts, he's currently projected 2-4, but at the Senior Bowl is played his way up the board....

Trade out of nine, grab an extra pick or two...

Anyone, knocks is what I'm looking for...

2. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I think he's a good player and would allow you to grab your RB in the third instead of the second, freeing up that 2nd rounder for another position.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i am high on him. don't think he is an every down back but he is explosive and would be the instant offense type we need

4. Hobbes3259

You would have Powell on e roster to spell him.

5. FJF

i have no problems with that. i have posted a few times that a backfield of b.p. m.g. and j.m. would be good. all have average hands at worst and would give us some pretty good speed in the backfield

6. PuMa

PuMa Banned

I like Gillislee but Franklin is faster and has better hands no one brings his name up but he is a ready to go starter in WCO if Bernard is gone

7. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I like Gillislee and if we get him ill be cool with the pick... We also have Gio Benard, Christine Michael, and Ray Graham who are good Pass catching backs.... hopefully we get one of them

8. TwentyFour

TwentyFour New Member

Andre Ellington is a better option for me. We can get him in the 3rd because absolutely no one is talking about him. He can catch out of the backfield and has lined up as a Wide Receiver at times.

If you have 5 minutes, watch his game against Auburn. You'll be amazed.

youtube. com/watch?v=9TbowLHph4A

9. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I agree that Ellington is amazing. Probably the best receiver of the bunch and lightning fast.

10. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Guy is a stud. This draft has so many RB in rounds 2-4 who will be 3-down opening day starter for Jets.

Assuming Jets don't take Lacy or Geno, I'm wondering if Jets should target a specific RB in round 3, or just take whoever is left over in round 4. And use the 3rd round pick to grab somebody who can definitely start in one of the many weaknesses this roster has.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

if he's there in the 4th, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

12. Hobbes3259

Smallish. Looks like a third down back. Also has an injury history.

13. Hobbes3259

Dump Revis, pick up an extra two, get two OLBs, and Gilleslee, add speed on both sides of the ball.

14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

of the tape I watched on Ellington, one thing stands out to me. he has incredible balance. he'll take a hit, put a hand in the dirt and keep churning those legs. he's also a very very good receiver. would be a good fit for us, for sure.

15. TwentyFour

TwentyFour New Member

He can make guys miss in the open field too. Once he gets to that second level, he's away. He has great speed (looks faster than Gillislee) and when he sees a gap, he bursts through it.

I would happily take him in the late second if we picked there.

16. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

I am a HUGE Gators fan so I've watched every down this kid has ever played at UF. He never got his shot to be a full time starter until this year because he sat behind Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps for his first three years.

That said, his first three years he was instant offense. When he would come in to give Rainey and Demps a breather he would tear it up. He's unbelievably fast, shifty and quick so when there was a hole he would hit it hard and be off to the races. Also, while a bit smaller, he's strong as hell as a runner meaning he'll hit you and keep going. This year as the full time starter he started out incredibly well and the tapered off a bit towards the end of the season. Against LSU, UF did not throw a single pass for the remainder of the game starting half way through the third quarter and it was Gillislee that wore down their vaunted defense. The only issue that I had with him was that as the season wore on, he seemed to get less and less patient and was not allowing time for the oline to set up blocks. I'm not saying his vision is bad, but if the he isn't there immediately, he tries to break the run outside or force it into the line rather then be patient and let the line do its thing. This may have been a function of the Gators oline underperforming for much of the season, but there were games that he would come out for a few snaps and the backups would have more success because they would allow the o line to set their blocks.

Overall, he's a sick RB and an UNBELIEVABLE receiving back. He could really help the Jets in the screen game and his intermediate rout running is great, not to mention that when he gets into the open field, forget about catching him! I'd love to see the Jets grab him, but he definitely needs to be coached up a bit. If he could learn to be a more patient running back, he could be something special!

17. Hobbes3259

MG is RB13 at the combine.

Ram 4.50 even twice, guys on the set were loving. Low mileage, gets stronger as the game goes on,carried the team in the 4th quarter at LSU.

If you don't take at 39, I suspect he'd be gone by the third round

#17 Hobbes3259, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  18. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

He's MUCH faster on the field then in the 40. When he gets to the second level, he absolutely blows past db's and linebackers.

While I enjoy watching the 40, it really is such a useless indicator of how successful a RB will be at the next level.

19. FJF

i've been banging this drum for a while.i wouldn't mind taking him in the 2nd. he will give our offense an instant game changer in the running and passing game.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

I doubt he's a 2nd round pick... Only RBs deserving of 39 are Lacy and Bernard. He's a 3rd or 4th round pick, especially in a RB class this deep. I would be pretty pissed if we spent a 2nd round pick on him, when Im sure someone else of equal talent will be there in the 3rd or even 4th.