Michael Vick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #28Martin, Jan 30, 2009.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Vick = no thank you !

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Let's not go through that again...

3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Lol. I read through half of page 8 and didn't realize it was arguments from 2009 until someone mentioned Leon Washngton. how far did you dig for this, just make a new thread dude.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The biggest issue is he can't stay healthy....ever. He's only played a full 16 games once in his career and I think bringing him would hurt Geno's development.

5. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

this was a thought I was toying with earlier.

dude knows what MM's system is like an would come in at efficient price.

I think he has actually matured and is doing everything somebody truly trying to redeem themselves should regardless if anybody does forgive him. (Not gonna tell anybody to do so)

the injury history seems like a bigger deal than his past however, and his fundamentals never really took hold till too late. I wouldn't mind but I'm not chomping at the bit to get him. I feel like we could do better.

6. DMSMaven

DMSMaven Member

Exactly ...

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I'd take Michael Vick as a backup so he could help mentor Geno, to get better at scrambling. If he starts or plans to he'll only take crucial reps away from Geno, and eventually get hurt again.

#167 Barcs, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  8. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

That's a good idea if you want Geno to end up on IR. The reason Vick gets hurt is because his scrambling style is reckless and leads to him getting hurt. I don't think he would be a good mentor in that aspect.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Put me down as a 'no'.

Not b/c I hate Michael Vick. But b/c I agree with the poster who said it's finally nice to see a real team developing right before our eyes. Like Rex said, It's a journey and every step must be taken. There are no short cuts.

I'm excited to watch our young team continue to grow and get better. It will be far more satisfying in the end then just bringing in a hired gun on a one year deal (Favre, Vick) to try and short circuit the process.

Back to Michael Vick. His dog fighting is a product of his culture and the environment in which he was raised. Dog fighting, cock fighting, humans fighting, it's all very alive and well and going strong in many parts of the south. In many small towns, fighting in one form or another is the #1 form of entertainment.

I have little problem watching nature, whether it be a crock dragging a zebra from the banks of the Nile or two alpha males be it dogs, cocks, or humans beating each other up. It's what happens beyond the ring that is so disturbing.

But that goes for almost anything humans touch, whether it be dog fighting or chicken farms owned by Tyson Foods.

10. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

This is exactly the kind of guy we DON'T need. A veteran who still feels like he has some gas left in the tank and wants to be the starter. No thanks.

We need someone with NFL experience who understands his role as a backup and can provide a few spot starts if needed. Guys like Campbell, McCown, Henne, Moore, Hill, Clemens are who we need.

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Thanks, wasn't sure. Hopefully between now and the draft Johnny Football gets into a fight at a strip bar after making it rain so that he falls to us at #18.

12. Footballgod214

It's kinda of funny but Manziel actually could land in Idzik's lap at 18.

Decisions Decisions

I almost hope all the 'tempting players' are off the board by 18 so Idzik can just stick to doing what he does.

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

If JM is still there we are taking him

14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's weird, who would've ever thought we'd be sitting here last year expecting Geno to still be on the board in the second round...

15. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

If we sign Vick I'll howl.

16. Footballgod214

Seems like every other year or so there is a glut of QBs taken throughout the draft. And some of them taken in the later rounds turn out to be as good as those taken at the top (Wilson comes to mind).

That being said, passing on QBs this year (be it Bridgewater or Manziel) and seeing how far Geno develops just means we make be shopping for the 2015-6 version of Bridgewater/Manziel.

I'd like to give Geno another 2 season to develop.

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?p=2892099&highlight=Vick#post2892099

11-20-2013, 06:14 PM

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Yep, but I think the Jets have a better chance of seeing God.

I'll pee on a fire hydrant.

19. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Good point, although it's a bit different because Michael Vick looks to run in a large majority of situations. Geno is more of a passer, but has the speed to do more with his feet as we saw going down the stretch of the season. I'm not saying turn Geno Smith into a Michael Vick / RGIII type QB that relies on running, I'm saying help him improve his scrambling for when the time arises.

20. Footballgod214

I have to say I think Geno Smith is the first rookie QB EVER that the OC and QB Coach had to BEG to pull the ball down and run.

It's always the opposite. Coaches are always trying to get their rookie QBs to stand tall for a split second before giving up and taking off.

Not Geno. He came in determined to wait 1/2 hour if need be for someone to get their over paid asses open (usually to his detriment!).