Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Damn you're struggling here. What money has the league lost in the last year that has anything to do with a bad player situation? You didn't even read what I said and your response proves that.

The Knicks example proves that you can alienate players and run what was once a good franchise right into the ground and it won't affect the bottom line.

The NFL is a special animal. The worst run franchises in the league are still incredible profitable. Prior to the pandemic the LIONS were still at 95.1% attendance.

#1421 Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

haha, I'm not "struggling" I just disagree with you. There's no score here

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

For sure... they just can add that to the list of reasons why the Texans should trade him

4. Rockinz

He’s got a lot of his bonus up front plus endorsements.. he won’t be clipping coupons for the grocery store that’s for sure...

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

For $40M/yr, I'll take my chances on Lawrence.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  6. Footballgod214

About $30M/yr. That's a lot of FAs who won't be playing for the Jets.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Nobody is arguing his income would drop to zero. There’s a reason he’s trying to be traded instead of simply retiring — he wants to get paid. Any argument that depends on the idea that he doesn’t want to get paid out for his contract simply because he won’t be destitute without it is simply a silly argument.

8. Rockinz

More along the lines of he’s got enough cash to wait out the Texans and now with the Covid opt out they can’t fine him 100k a day if he sits out. Plus his contract will carry over once he does get traded. It’s just more ammo the Watson camp can try and use against the Texans.

9. Footballgod214

Crystal Ball:

Joe Douglas will make a reasonable offer for Watson, which the Texans will turn down.

Joe Douglas will not burn a #2 overall on a QB (not named Trevor Lawrence).

JD will field several pre-draft offers for Sam, with a 2nd round pick being the best offer.

Where all this leads will be fascinating!

chandler and Jets79 like this.
  10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

the desire to make more money is independent of how much money he has. The Texans have more money than Watson and can financially outlast him in a standoff if that is a determining factor.

And if he claims Covid they just toll his contract and he’s faced with having to play for them next year — not to mention he’d have to sit out the year and couldn’t come back.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I respect your opinion and can understand why you see things as you do, but we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I see this totally differently than you.

JetBlue likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

You keep focusing only on money, but the situation is much more than that. What if all the fans stay home next year? What if they give up their season tickets, return their PSLs, and trash McNair in the media on a daily basis? What if no FAs will sign with the Texans? What if other veterans demand to be traded as a result of their handling of Watson, or the whole team decides to boycott preseason games? This could get VERY ugly and give the NFL as well as the Texans a bad name, and it will hurt other teams financially if Houston fans stop buying NFL gear, tickets, etc. The league office as well as other owners could start putting pressure on McNair.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Has the NFL renewed the opt out rules for next season already? I haven't seen it either way so if you can confirm that they have been, then yes it's a possibility.

The Texans can challenge Watson to derail his own career and try to come back and be an effective player thereafter. It took Carson Palmer several years and a great situation to somewhat revive his own career.

14. NCJetsfan

15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is my read on it as well...I have a hard time thinking JD will give up the house for Watson...I can see a reasonable package, like #2 this year plus one of the firsts next year plus maybe a couple of lower picks, or even both #1s this year, but I doubt he gives up three first round picks. I’d be ok with either of those scenarios, by the way, but not sure I’d give up 3 first rounders....not because I don’t think Watson is worth it, but because I think we need too much roster help to give away three first rounders.

I have no idea how JD values any of the QBs not named TL, but I also tend to think that JD would prefer to trade out of two and either roll with Sam and a free agent or draft a QB after trading down from two. I also agree that if Sam can bring a second rounder JD may do it and draft a QB.

will be interesting to watch, but that is also kind of how I expect things to go....

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Im back in on Watson.

17. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

18. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

There's, like, a never-ending supply of this narcotic, man. I understand being uneasy about how much of a hole a trade could put the team in, but I can't fathom Jets fans that are so vehemently opposed to acquiring this man, as if he isn't a legitimate franchise-altering player.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So this guy is saying Carr is going to net the Raiders two first round picks? Stafford went for 2 picks and that’s only because Goff’s contract was involved... and Stafford is better than Carr.

20. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Welcome back my friend, I will remain on the Watson train full steam ahead until he signs somewhere.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.