Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

it’s a tough choice. Smith has been around the block making big plays for awhile, remember he caught the game winner vs UGA as a freshman for the natty.

the only thing about Chase is he is bigger and may be more durable in the nfl. But, mixed with the one year and then the opt out...Smith May be the safer selection. High character, quiet kid, just nothing but raw southern grit. Love Devonta.

ouchy likes this.
  2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Let’s just assume worst case we get Watson for 3 1st round picks, my question to some salary cap experts here since I don’t feel like calculating and determining where they are at, how much will the Jets still have on this year’s cap? Supposedly at least 4 FA vets are interested in playing for Saleh per some reports. My first gut is who wouldn’t want Watson but the team has so many damn jokes and was wondering how many Top FA we could really take in with Watson’s where the team can be competitive?

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

His cap hit is $10 mil. That’s it. That leaves us with around $53 mil to spend. Guys like Henry Anderson ($8 mil), Alex Lewis ($5 mil), and Van Roten ($3 mil) can all be cut. There’s no shortage of money whatsoever.

NCJetsfan, FJF and Lon Chaney like this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

16mil actually. But that will likely be restructured and increased by whatever team would trade for him, as no team will want to deal with the 35 and 37 mil cap hits in '22 and '23. That contract is a whale.

5. BroadwayAaron

It’s 16 for Houston if they keep him, 10 for a team that trades for him. It’s because of bonuses.

https://overthecap.com/exploring-the-costs-of-trading-star-qbs-in-2021/

LAJet and abyzmul like this.
  6. abyzmul

Good catch. I maintain what I said about the restructure though. The benefit of trading for him after Houston already paid his signing bonus is that a team can hand him some more guaranteed to restructure those cap hits.

7. BroadwayAaron

Yup. So just to lay out everything that’s been discussed this morning... if we trade three first round picks for Watson we will have:

-26 year old franchise QB with a $10 mil cap hit this year and the ability to lower his cap hits over the next three years

-$53 mil to spend and that’s before cutting anyone

-first round picks this year and next year

You know it’s not going to happen because the football gods would never allow the Jets to be in that fucking fantastic of a situation.

FJF, donkey, K'OB and 1 other person like this.
  8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

That's why we can afford to add the #23 this year.

9. BroadwayAaron

I can end up being fine with giving up 23 as long as we keep the 2nd rounder and the 2023 first. It’s all going to depend on how Watson handles the NTC. That will either drive his price up or sink it.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  10. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

2021 - 1st round (Jets), 3rd Round (Seattle), 5th (Giants), 2022 - 1st Round (Seattle), 5th Round (Steelers), 6th Round (Buccs), 6th Round (49ers).

Leaves us with a pick in each round down to the sixth this year, a first, third, fifth and sixth the year after plus whatever we can get back from Darnold (second to fourth), then 2023 is a regular year of picks.

Texans can have any QB bar Lawrence this year and sit him behind a JAG whilst they take the roster and cap hit for the mistakes of the previous regime and a bevy of picks next year to build themselves up again.

Maybe add in a conditional pick from 2023, First to Fourth depending on production, pro bowl, play-offs etc...

#990 Gremlin, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  11. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Thanks folks! Cool. So Gremlin I am a little confused, sorry, you’re saying to give Houston

2021 - 1st round (Jets), 3rd Round (Seattle), 5th (Giants), 2022 - 1st Round (Seattle), 5th Round (Steelers), 6th Round (Buccs), 6th Round (49ers ????

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

By the time 2022 rolls around that $35M probably drops Watson down to about the 10th highest cap hit for a QB so it's just something they'll have to be ready for. In 2022 we'll likely see $39-40M a year for Lamar Jackson. Soon all good QBs will be getting close to $40M. If they restructure they can get the average per year down to about $30M it would put the Jets in a good position with the QB for 5 seasons or 3 until he starts wanting to renegotiate.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While watching the Chiefs and how they use Tyreek Hill, I thought about how the Jets could use Smith in a similar fashion, His speed and shiftiness is amazing.

14. abyzmul

The cap projections are all based on assumptions of course, and if teams are managing their caps based on assumption then they are probably setting themselves up for disappointment and failure.

15. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

but none of those long term teams paid a king's ransom either

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No one else is concerned that he is handling this very similarly to Jamal Adams? Most of us did not like how Jamal handled things, yet now everyone seems completely fine with Watson doing them? Doesn't add up to me. I get people pointing out that they are different situations, but I don't like players acting like that.

Do you really want to give up so many draft picks just for Watson not to like it in New York and then do the same thing to the Jets in 2022 or 2023? I wouldn't.

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

True, but I think locking in at $30M a year average with a QB of Watson's ability puts the Jets in a good position. I would much rather Watson at $30M per than Mayfield at $35-$37M per for 2022.

I'm thinking the cap reduction this year does not change the top end salaries as much as the middle and low end though so Watson's contract should still look ok, even if top contracts drop by the same amount as the salary cap. If the cap comes in at 11% less than last year as projected, and new top contracts drop by the same 11% then the new QB contracts will still be averaging $32-$35M

18. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I'm having flashbacks to Knicks trading whole team and picks for Carmelo Anthony

egbert souse likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

They aren’t even close to the same situation to me. Watson doesnt want out because he wants to get paid and win. Yes Watson wants to win but he also doesn’t want to be lied to by the owner and publicly humiliated. Woody is an idiot, but he’s not THAT much of an idiot and Douglas is light years more professional than Caserio from all indications. I don’t think there would be a similar situation.

No way. That was one of the worst moves in Knicks history because we completely mortgaged the future to try and build around a guy that had failed for 7 years already with no picks or money. We would not be mortgaging the future at all, we’d have tons of money and Watson is universally praised as one of the best in the league. Anyone who thought Melo was one of the best players in the league at the time only cared about points.

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Stafford is about to get dealt. I wonder what he goes for and how it affects Watson.

NCJetsfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.