Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The returns are drastically different so the comparison is nonsensical. Not to mention that while we still don't have a good roster, it looks a bit different now than it did then. Along with the coaching staff and front office.

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Because Sam turned out to be a disaster. We traded picks for the most important position on the team and that player turned out to be ass. Darnold sucking has set this franchise back more than those 2 second rounders.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It would be MUCH easier, but still very very very difficult. Teams with (and paying) a FQB have a very hard time just trying to keep their rosters relevant while drafting late in every round and tight for cap space. So fans who say "we'll still have some draft capital to build a team" are under reporting how difficult it is.

4. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

No doubt. But it's a risk I'm willing to take. I trust Joe Douglas to make the right moves after. We really haven't that type of QB in 50 years. Let's go for it.

NCJetsfan and Snatch Catch like this.
  5. Footballgod214

So what you're saying is OUR GM and coaching staff will be so much better than every other team that they will 'find a way' to not only maintain our roster, but build a dynasty with tight cap space and virtually zero premium draft picks. Got it! I didn't know that, thanks.

6. Footballgod214

What does who we traded for have anything to do with how handicapped we were trying to build a team after shipping out three 2nd round draft picks? So what your saying is if Sam turned out to be a FQB we wouldn't really need a LT, or shutdown DB, or pass rusher. OK, got it, thanks.

7. bicketybam

We need a LT?

I don't think we see Darnold in the same light. The Jets last year should have won 4 games. You put any average QB on that team instead of the worst QB in the league and you would have to think we would have won at least 1-2 more games. Then you factor in Gase and Williams. The talent isn't atrocious like some believe. The coaching and the QB were.

Every team needs help. The Jets were 2-14 last year because we had the worst starting QB in the league. Even if we had those second round picks we still would have had Darnold throwing the ball to the other team.

8. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

You’re strawmanning

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No. What I'm saying is that the situations are not at all the same so they should not be compared as such.

Compare like to like, not apples to oranges.

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  10. Doreblade

Doreblade Active Member

I had to remind myself how successful our second round picks have been over the last decade or so to understand the loss of what might have been if we hadn't trade them away.

K'OB likes this.
  11. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

Sounds like the best first round any GM has ever had. Really impressive, especially considering that WR drafted in the top 10 over the last 20 years have the 2nd lowest success rate, only ahead of QBs. I imagine you also assume that Douglas is going to find a franchise QB because you know that no team can consistently contend without one. You obviously have a really high opinion of Douglas.

Unless he trades for Watson. Then Douglas won't be able to round out a roster despite having a pick in every round of the next 2 drafts and the 3rd most cap space in the NFL. His roster will be no more talented than the Texans last year. Even worse, Saleh's coaching will not be better than 4 games of Bill O'Brien followed by 12 games of 73 year old Romeo Crennel.

And the thing that is keeping these conflicting ideas a reality in your head is that you can only get a quarterback AFTER every other position on the roster has been addressed.

The reality I see is that the Jets would be lucky to get 2 average starters out of the 3 first round picks we would give up for Watson. Even if those picks turn into a WR that goes to multiple pro bowls, and a guard that starts for us for 5 years, they aren't likely to have as much of a positive as Watson over the next 5 years as he enters his prime. Then Douglas would STILL need to find a franchise QB.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. bicketybam

The guys in love with Devonta Smith.

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Don’t fool yourself the talent level was atrocious.
    We had 3 or 4 guys that could start on most teams in the league. There are teams in the league where most likely none of our WRs would be on the 53 man roster. Our specials teams sucked which indicates how bad a lot of the backups actually are.

14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The key to success in this league is being able to hit more often than not on those picks, not just trading them away.

You want the Jets to have sustained success, that is how you do it. That requires having the right people evaluating talent AND coaching that can bring out and use that talent appropriately.

LAJet and ouchy like this.
  15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I respect everyone's opinion on here. We have some of the most knowledgeable posters on this forum. But to think you guys wouldn't part with Quinnen Williams to get Deshaun Watson? That's The deal breaker? Wow.

In my scenario, we still have a full draft this year and next and just minus a first rounder in 2023. I can't believe Q is beloved that much. He's a good player. I like him. What's his ceiling? A notch below Aaron Donald? Ok great. Again, DTs don't win super bowls.

Watson is a top 5 qb entering the prime of his career. People act as if he's just an average player. Wait unit we see what's really given up for him. It's going to be enormous.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't know that it's a deal breaker, but I think he could be the centerpiece of the defense the way Sapp was in Tampa and the way Donald is for LAR. Potential game changer that in this instance doesn't seem even close to being a headcase.

17. Lon Chaney

I agree. I'm not disparaging him at all. But if houston wants him, you give him up in as minute

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think that if he is part of the package, the number of picks significantly decreases.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  19. Lon Chaney

Ok fair, but we'll see. I really think people underestimate what it's going to take to get Watson.

20. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

#2 and Quinnen if he was involved.

For what it's worth I'm on the sign Q for 5 years as soon as we can team.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

ouchy and abyzmul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.