Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

We'll see what happens. The Giants are still a really good baseball team and have continuously been slept on all year.

2. NYJFOREVER

Let me ask this question about the Dodgers.

Are the rest of the National League teams supposed to just fold on their season, not try to improve their roster, and forfeit every game because "There's no way we can beat the Dodgers." That's been a trend going on for the last 24 hours or so. The games still need to be played. Who the hell knows what's going to happen?

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm of the firm belief that you win a championship with pitching. Who has a better stating 5 than LA? I'm not a Dodgers fan at all. I'm a Yankees fan. I'll be the first to say that it would take an act of God for them to beat the Dodgers in a playoff series. And let's face it....the Mets have benefited from being in the worst division in baseball. I get being a fan and all, but the Dodgers have a ton more talent. Good luck if you play them.

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

You keep saying this when OPS+ is specifically designed to measure exactly where a player is relative to current players at the time. Baez's OPS+ for his entire career is 103 - he is an average hitter for his career, and has been below average over the last two. Those are the facts. He had a very good year in 2018, and he was on a team that won the World Series in 2016 after 108 years (a season in which he was a below-average hitter, by the way). That's great. It also has absolutely nothing to do with how good a player he is now.

Good
    hitters nowadays don't just hit home runs and strike out - they also walk, and he doesn't. Comparing Baez to Alonso is absurd, as the numbers clearly show. Even last year, which was a very disappointing year for Alonso, was a better year for him than all but one season of Baez's career (2018), and his OPS+ wasn't much higher even in that year (129 versus 122).

5. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

6. NYJFOREVER

Oh well isn't that just fantastic.

7. NYGalPal

Guys you gotta score more than one run in that inning.

8. NYGalPal

Well this isn’t good.

9. statjeff22

Nice to hear Tug's "Ya gotta believe" from Jon Matlack. From 1972-1976 he was the second-best starter on a team that underachieved through no fault of his (or Seaver's of course).

The first time I saw Ron Darling was on the diamond at Yale Field. It was obvious that he was a man among boys. He was a solid major leaguer for a long time, and of course has done yeoman work as a broadcaster/

Fonzie was part of that great infield of the late 90s and early 00s, and one of the best clutch hitters the team ever had.

10. NYGalPal

Villar has to be the biggest bone head on the bases I've ever seen.

11. NYGalPal

Baez hits a HR. Would have been a tied game(under the assumption things played out the same) had Villar not been such a bone head on the bases.

12. NYGalPal

Dom with the flick of the bat ties it.

13. NYGalPal

Diaz good job!

14. NYGalPal

Mets win 5-4. Drury Comes through. You gotta play him and go with the hot bat.

15. NYJFOREVER

Man I sure do love me some Javy Baez.

16. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Castro sucks.

17. NYGalPal

Let say you see something on the MRI…Like let’s say he needs Tommy John wouldn’t it still be worth the risk? Nursing him back seems low risk high reward. He’s also be taking a big chance not signing and going back to college if he does have medical concerns. Maybe they’re waiting to see if his people come back hat in hand.

18. NYGalPal

19. statjeff22

The baseball draft is such a crapshoot that it's impossible to know if a pick next year is any better or worse than one this year. It will be impossible to evaluate this decision for years, but they sure didn't expect to make it, when you consider the hype the team pushed when they drafted him. As is true for many draft-eligible players, they didn't have access to any medical records before the draft, so all they could go by was how he pitched at Vanderbilt.

20. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Just wanna pop in and say good luck to you guys as we enter the homestretch. I hope my club or yours goes the distance. And fuck the Yankees.