Mets Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by 3rdAnd15Draw, Sep 30, 2007.

1. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Good job investigating that, that 1st picture I must say is the picture equivalent of a driver's license photo, they never look good.

2. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Let's be honest here, he's fat. You can see his gut hanging out when he's just standing there in the first picture you posted. He may not weigh 300 lbs but he's certainly got a nice alcoholic's gut going.

3. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

At least he's not El Guapo Peque?o yet.

[​IMG]

4. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Why does the thought of giving up Guerra make me cringe, this would be a hard deal to do but there is no one like Santana in the NL

5. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I know, but you absolutely have to throw in Martinez to get it done. Martinez Guerra, and the others are just prospects; they haven't proven anything at the ML level. It's rough to essentially shave off the top few prospects in our system, but also remember that we've got 3 picks in the fisrt and "sandwich" rounds in the draft this year. With some good scouting and some luck, we can immediately plug the holes in our system left by departing with these kids.

He's the best pitcher in the ML and he'll only get better in the NL in a pitcher's park. The Mets have needed a young ace for years and they desperately need someone like Santana. On top of it, you still keep Pelfrey, Heilman, Kunz, and some of the other guys who were finally coming onto the radar last year. This IMO is win-win for the Mets and the Twinkies.

Now will Omar have the sack to pull the trigger? I doubt it.

6. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

Mulvey+Guerrera and Gomez+Martinez.

Ugh. Ehh.

7. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

If we gave up those five players I think it would be a horrible mistake. Humber and Mulvey? I dont care about. But the other three guys are our top three prospects. I'm convinced that Guerra is going to be an absolutely stud. I dont even know if I would do the trade without F-Mart in it, however I think I would consider it.
    I also think that if that deal were to be on the table, including F-Mart, the Twins would not even think about it. It's about 10000 times better than any other deal they would get for Santana, which a reason why the Mets shouldnt do it.

8. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

You know Omar is desperate to get this deal done because even if he gives up the entire farm system alot of fans are going to be pleased and say "see, Omar got us our ace" ignoring the cost and forgetting the rest of this horrible offseason.

9. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Agreed. The Twins are hoping that Omar is dumb enough to make a splash, thereby putting gold rims on this Studebaker of a team. If they continue to bide their time, unfortunately, they'll probably get what they want.

Meanwhile, Santana is kind of a slow starter. Imagine the overreaction when he's .500 after May. It's a poisonous situation all around.

-X-

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Every Yankee and Sox fan is hoping you get this deal done.

11. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Not this one. I'd rather have him in Boston if it doesn't include Ellsbury, or with the Yankees if it costs Hughes and/or Kennedy and Chamberlain.

12. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

If thats the Mets offer, with or without F-Mart, Ellsbury is going to have to be in the deal.

13. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

GET IT DONE OMAR!

please

14. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

I would do the Santana deal. Pitching prospects are extremely inconsistant, always have been, so I'm not particularly attached to Guerra at this point, considering he's fairly early in his development. Humber is obviously worth near nothing. Mulvey at best projects as a 3 starter, and who knows if he even does that. I'm not really that attached to Gomez. And while Martinez is a tremendous talent, we're talking about the best pitcher in all of baseball, switching to an easier league. After watching the values of Milledge, Humber, and Pelfrey plummet, I'm ready to sell high for once. Santana would automatically make us title contenders, and, as people have pointed out, Kunz, Pelfrey, and Heilman will still be here. Throw in the fact that we have 3 draft picks in the first 1.5 rounds this year and I'm all set.

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Endy hurt playing winter ball.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10575135

16. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Wonderful.... in an offseason in which we have done nothing we continue to have bad luck. ow it's the other hamstring.

17. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

The good news is I think it's more and more like we get Santana.

*Foolishly gets hopes up*

18. Pennythetowelboy

Pennythetowelboy New Member

its getting more likely, the twins are just pissed that they missed out the getting the yankees or sox prospects and now have to settle for the mets sub par offerings

#758 Pennythetowelboy, Jan 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  19. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Hey, whatever works.

20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The Twins could always finally spend some $$$ and resign the best pitcher in the game but I'd much rather see him with the Mets.

I know Mets fans are split but I'd rather give up unknowns and keep Reyes to get Johan. Lets be honest we all heard how great Pelfrey was and he was less than stellar.....