Mets 2011-2012 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by southparkfanciz, Oct 30, 2011.

1. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Lol, if this is the team next season I think the Mets might not win 10 games.

2. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

I am all against trading Wright. He still has a lot to play for, and if we don't resign Reyes who the hell are we gonna build a team around? An aging Santana? An injuried Ike Davis? If anything trade Santana and his monster contract mid-season next year (if the Mets look like their out of contention).

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I can't imagine that they're going to trade Wright, especially after bringing in the fences. It would be a gigantic FU to the fans, something the Wilpons can't afford to do.

4. BkzMoreno730

BkzMoreno730 New Member

With no Wright, Reyes, and Beltran gone. This franchise will be identity-less again. Will feel like the 2002-2004 teams with maybe one star player the fans will care about (Piazza on those teams) Johan if he comes back 80% of what he was..

5. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

SP johan
    SP Pelfrey ( i hope not)
    SP Dickey
    SP Neise
    SP Gee

SS reyes
    cf pagan
    3rd Wright
    1st davis
    lf bay
    rf duda
    c thole
    2nd tejada

bn murphy 3rd/1st
    bn martinez of
    bn paulino c
    bn turner 2nd
    bn Nieuwenhuis of

rhp parnell
    lhp byrdak
    rhp acosta
    rhp carrasco
    and sign 3 new relievers

6. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Jose Reyes and David Wright represent a significant portion of all the homegrown talent the Mets have ever developed and hung onto through their prime years...

Strawberry
    Hundley
    Alfonzo
    Wright
    Reyes

That's it. No one appreciates their talent less than the Mets, which is why it's hard to have pride in this organization.

Anyway, the Wilpons probably can't afford Reyes, and it's highly likely that the Marlins will supremely overpay him. He's a very good player, but I think it's a stretch to say he's worth more than 20 million a season. So he'll go, and it will suck, but that's the breaks.

But the Mets aren't trading Wright unless someone blows them away. I imagine they'd have to return a top 10 prospect to sell the fan base on, and even that wouldn't be enough. The Mets might not be able to afford Jose Reyes, but they can't afford to trade David Wright. A lot of fans would probably walk away, and more would just quit paying attention. The Wilpons are too far in the red to chance a catastrophic loss of revenue. I imagine Reyes signing elsewhere will already lower the bar in terms of attendance or interest.

I suspect that the Mets realized that with or without Reyes, they have a pretty patient, competent lineup, and with the fences moved in and a full season from Ike Davis and some upgrades to the bullpen and rotation, they can still be relatively competitive.

-X-

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

You've left out the 1960s-era team, who had several players who they held onto for a long time - Koosman, Harrelson, Boswell, Kranepool, Jones - although that was also the time period they started trading away young talent in a ridiculous way (Ryan, Otis). I would also add Gooden to the list - his prime was clearly over when they let him go.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

from what I understand, Citi Field was designed to develop a speed team. with a deep outfield it gave more space for doubles to turn into triples, which would be a benefit for Reyes.

with the outfield being modified, we may not even see that benefit from Reyes as much which reduces their need for him. if that is the case, you can't overpay him just to keep him.

yes, the team would be better with him than without in the short-term, but if his on base percentage can be comparably replaced by another lead-off hitter at a cheaper price it may not be that drastic of a loss if the advantage of having the speed of Reyes was going to decline anyways with new dimensions.

9. southparkfanciz

That was before Free Agency really started to heat up.

10. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

I can see us signing a reclamation project as a closer such as a Broxton etc

I really do think Wright will go, I think the Mets will get value for him and he will move on.

I think this Club is all about 2013 forward when our pitching looks to have significant upside

11. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

I'm going on record saying the Mets will lose more players in FA than they will sign.

12. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

While this quote makes sense, in truth, they probably won't. They don't have that many FA's but they will probably sign at least a couple very cheap guys.

In other news, it looks like Reyes will be a Marlin.

13. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

^^reports of him signing are untrue.

regardless, he wouldn't sign this quickly unless the marlins absolutely blew him away in terms of money figures.

14. southparkfanciz

Ok I just read reports that the Mets were close to trading Mike Pelfrey for Hudston Street but the Mets declined it.......if this is true Alderson is a fucking idiot.

15. Odd Neck Stems

Compare relief pitcher innings pitched to a starting pitcher innings pitched. There are extraordinarily few relievers who you can justify trading a mid-level starter for.

16. maynardsmyhero-uk

I would trade Pelfrey for fucking Elmo from Sesame Street ...wtf has Pelfrey done except disappoint??

Street was decent 2 yrs ago and I trust Alderson's judgement over a typical Mets waste of space in pelfrey

17. Odd Neck Stems

He can be an okay contributor as a number three or four starter. He is mediocre at best but not worthless. I just think there are cheaper ways to go about getting a reliever.

18. maynardsmyhero-uk

Street would be a huge upgrade in our bullpen whilst losing pelfrey would rid me of my 4th innings metdown indigestion...

I think if we could pull this off it would be a good deal for both parties..

19. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

If you think Reyes is injury prone what is Street? My guess is he spends more time on the DL then Reyes.

20. southparkfanciz

Mets are also looking to trade Murphy. They can get a solid #3 pitcher for him.