Mets 2006-07 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by davecrazy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

…the buzz from atlanta is that the Braves have offered a one-year deal worth roughly $7 million to Tom Glavine with a possible option for 2008…there is no indication as to whether he asked for a no-trade clause, or if one was granted…

…meanwhile, most people in new york suspect the Mets have already offered glavine at least $10 million for next season, with a possible guarantee, or at least an option, for the following year…

2. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Scout.com reporting that Glavine is close to returning to the Braves. The site requires a subscription, but for those who don't subscribe, here's what it says.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=248&p=...stedURL=http://braves.scout.com/2/595368.html

The Braves Show has learned that the Atlanta Braves are close to a contract to bring back left-hander Tom Glavine.

Glavine has been contemplating a return to New York, where he has spent the last four seasons pitching with the Mets. But with his family and home still in Atlanta, and the prospect of winning his 300th career game in an Atlanta uniform, the lure of once again being a Brave is strong.

Sources say the deal could be in the $7-$8 million area and could also include some type of option for the 2008 season.

3. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

This off season gets worse every day.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

At least they haven't traded Andruw yet, huh?

5. FITM

Bill Shanks on Braves.Scout.com is reporting that Tom Glavine has signed a 1 year deal for 8 million dollars with the Atlanta Braves that includes a second year option and a no trade clause.

6. Boss Revis

Boss Revis Active Member

Bye Bye Glavine if this is true. Looks like he wanted to be there the whole time.

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I don't think there was ever a question he wanted to be here to finish his career. Oh well it'll be fun watchin the Mets fuck him up next year.

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

It will be interesting to see what the rotation will be next year. Right now it seems a whole lot worse than it was last year. If people like Perez and Maine don't step up, the Mets are screwed.

9. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

1 year 8 mil? Screw you Tommy, I hope you rot in Atlanta.

10. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

ShadeTree#55 on GangGreen.com is reporting that a "scoop" on a message board is full of shit.

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Yeah, but can you trust what that guy has to say? :wink:

12. Irv

Irv Member

With regard to Bradford, looks like Peter Angelos caught a case of the Dan Snyder. Guess he wanted to compete for the title of dumbest sports franchise owner in the greater DC area. Naturally, I'm still pissed that he cockblocked that trade to send Roy Oswalt here.

As for Glavine, if he leaves, screw him. I hope he gets booed to a complete shelling next time at Shea. Problem is, that would require the Mets to hit against a lefty. Anyway, now I know how Braves fans felt when he left Atlanta.

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

wow looks like mets are having a bad offseason... very niiice

14. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Sure, real bad. LOL

15. FITM

So, far no other sources have confirmed. I'm guessing it's false.

16. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

1 reason I don't think Tommy goes back to Atlanta is BECAUSE of his family. I've seen Tom out on more than one occasion when I was in NY. And he didn't seem to miss his family when he was striking up conversations with any ladies that were willing to talk to him.
    Also, New York has much better bars.
    Forget the no-trade clause working in the Mets' favor. Bars and broads will.

Having said that...if he DOES go back to Atlanta, I bet the bars and broads in NY are the reason his family is so important again. Wifey might want him on a tighter leash.
    To protect myself from slander or libel, everything I just said was made up.
    (Wink-wink).

17. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

Did we lose Darren Oliver? And if so...where is he? And if not, why isn't re-signed yet?

18. FITM

He hasn't had any discussions with anyone. Probably could be brought back with a ST invite if anything again. Same with Floyd if no one claims him.

19. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

The only thing that I don't like about losing Glavine is that it ties Omar's hands as far as Zito goes. The way he was stockpiling guys like Johnson and Vargas gave off the vibe that he was trying to set up a trade, which would be more preferable that dealing with Boras.

20. Pennythetowelboy

Pennythetowelboy New Member

glavine going to Atlanta is great news, the pitching staff needs to get younger. Zito, El Duque, Maine, Perez, Pelfrey or a veteran pitcher, would be my favorite choice for the rotation.