Mendenhall, the latest RB to meet with Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Mar 27, 2008.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

so players outside the top 6 or even top 10 can never become players that franchises can count on for 10 years?... It's good to be a crappy team I guess.

2. JackBower

This is also a dumb statement... obviously there are more higher picked than lower picks remaining in the nfl it's not as much of a guessing game as baseball. But also draft talent fluctuates every year and so happens this year the draft is extremely deep. Also a busted 1st draftee kills a franchise much more than a 4th round bust.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Of course it does. A successful one also helps a franchise much more than a 4th rounder too. So what's the point? You wouldn't be paying for or even drafting first round picks if you didn't believe that.

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I agree with Namath12 as well.

To a point I agree with that as well. It certainly paid off alst year, with the trade we did for Jones, we guarenteed ourselves a servicable starting RB and the Revis and Harris picks were inspired.
    This year I wouldn't like us to trade away too many as we still have quite a few pressing needs, but I'm all for going out and getting the exact player we need, rather than say taking BPA for the sake of it.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I LOVE Mendenhall, I think he's going to be a very good NFL RB.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

In your opinion who is more valuable to our franchise right now, DRob or Rhodes?

7. Don

Rhodes obviously but I was totally against the trade with Chicago to move up for a DT anyway. I would be now too. The funny thing is, look at who Chicago took with those two picks and we still ended up with the better end on that deal. Michael Haynes and Rex Grossman. I wasn't thrilled with Ferguson in '06 either. I believe when you have a pick that high you have to take an impact player and not a lineman. Those picks don't come around that often and there were no Orlando Paces in either of those drafts.

We face the same problem this year. Everybody can talk all they want about depth in this draft but there is none at the top of round one for the Jets. They can also talk about taking the BPA but if the only players available when we pick are Ellis or Dorsey they are totally useless to us. We face the real risk of having to waste the pick on a terrible reach just to use it if we stay where we are.

#27 Don, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  8. JetsLookingforDWare

1. I agree, I would never have made that DRob trade. The '03 draft had a pretty solid 1st round, and I'm willing to bet this franchise looks alot better with Ty Warren, Troy P., Clark, Barnett, or Aso. Oh well.

2. Linemen, especially LT's, ARE impact players. It's why they're getting paid so much, and it's why the LT position is like the 2nd or 3rd highest paid position in this league. See without a line you're not running, if you're not running you're not going to pass as well, and if you're not passing well you're not going to score. If you don't score the D has to play better for longer period of times if you want any chance of winning the game. I have no idea how people have drawn the conclusion that linemen are not "impact" players when it's their job to block the guys paid to get the QB/stop the offense.

3. We're NOT going to be stuck with Ellis or Dorsey. Long, Long, Gholston, DMac, Ryan, McKlevin, DRC, Mendenhall are all who fit this team better than those guys, and I'm counting 8 of them. Thats not even accounting for late risers, because I have little to no idea who they are or even might be right now. Harvey, Groves, and Stewart, and Mike Jenkins (amongst others) all have been talked about in the top 10 at one point or another. We're going to get someone good at our pick.

#28 JetsLookingforDWare, Mar 29, 2008
  9. Don

I probably should have said skill player. No, the better term would be difference maker and neither Robertson or Ferguson have made any difference at all. Of course I would be very happy with Jake Long in this year's draft.

#29 Don, Mar 29, 2008
  10. gustoonarmy

Sometimes the obvious has to be pointed out. Good post.

11. Don

Talk is cheap. I challange you to name one OL taken in the top 4 picks since Orlando Pace in 1997 worth the pick. Joe Thomas may be but he needs a few years to prove it. Also, name even one DT taken in the top 4 picks since 1997 other than Robertson who was worth it or not. There are none.

You just don't waste picks that high on linemen unless of course you are the Jets or it is a very special player as Pace was.

#31 Don, Mar 29, 2008
  12. gustoonarmy

D'Brickashaw for one. Now name me one LT that has been available though FA or draft thats better?
    Jake Long this year would be worth the pick.
    Joe Thomas, but you moved the goal posts for that one.
    Amobi Okoye , was worth a top ten pick IMO, yet to see the best.(Oicked ahead of Willis :rolleyes:)

I think you are missing the point a little. Whats the point in taking ANY player when your biggest need is LT or DT? Can't trade down, so what do you do, pick _________ and hope things work out? I prefer to fill a need, and this regime seem to be getting the job done.

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

swap picks and just a 3rd? they gotta at least come to the table with a swap and 2nd at least. i dont care what the draft value board says. if were trading out of the top 6 into the teens we need to be getting an extra 2nd or conditional 2nd into a possible 1st

#33 Coach K, Mar 29, 2008
  14. JetsLookingforDWare

Ogden. Thomas. Levi Jones (top 10). Chris Samuels (top 3). Walter Jones (top 10). Williams Thomas was pick #11.

I'm guessing the Cards like Levi Brown, but I won't put him on the list.

Not alot of OT's go real early, but they almost never completely bust. Even Gallery looks like he'll be a very good G in the long term.

Question: Why does Thomas get to have a few years to prove it and D'Brick is already a mistake?

15. JackBower

There are so many low draft players and undrafted players making impacts on this league just as much as any 1st rounder so I really don't see where your coming from.

16. JackBower

Hey if we can get that I'm all for it. I just kind of thought a 1st and a 3rd when I was typing and didn't look at value charts or anything. I've also been a big petitioner for trading with Dallas

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Mendenhall measured a thick 5'10 ?/225 lbs and ran a juicy 4.45.

Is he a running back or a steak?

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Don't know, but if you get in his way while he has a full head of steam you're probably forked.