Mel Kiper's first mock is out...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 19, 2022.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

What do you think of the Bears as a trade partner? They don't have a first round pick thanks to last year's trade up for Fields. New regime might not want Fields and if a QB is available when we pick we might be able to get a haul.

P.S. I read an article from Chicago that felt that it is a possibility that a new coach/GM might not want to be married to Fields. I think it's nuts to give up on him after one season but who knows?

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Sounds like a crazy idea, only way they move from Fields is if they get a proven winner right now

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I humbly disagree.

With our holes, I’d rather have Hill and Kinnard (est mid 2nd rd pick) than just Hamilton.

If most of our holes are filled in FA, I will quickly change my opinion. Lol

4. KingRoach

They’d have to find a trade partner for Fields else the new MGT is shooting themselves in the foot from day 1. If the new team really doesn’t like Fields, they should be unloading assets and looking at the 2023 draft.

I do think Washington, Steelers, Saints, and maybe the Vikings would trade their 2022 1st for Fields.

Washington’s #11 plus 2023 Bears 1st to go to 4 sounds reasonable for the Bears and puts us in a great position to get a high pick next year… hello Mr. Anderson.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

How close are those guys to Hamilton? If your saying we can get those guys in the second, why not just grab them with our second round picks and use 4 and 10 for big hitters?

6. KingRoach

I’m saying that trading down would get us an additional starter with the pick gained from the trade down. Kinnard is a RG (I should have clarified in my post, my bad).

Mock drafts are fun, but def more credible after free agency.

NCJetsfan, barfolomew and Red Menace like this.
  7. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

That's idiotic. He sucks, we need oline and weapons, an edge too. No way do we pick a safety at 4. What an asshat.

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I can get on board with this strategy if we are still addressing the oline.

9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

What the hell. Both are reaches IMO

10. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

If I am trading down it is with 4 and not 10. If Hutch and Tibbs are gone then that pretty much wipes out who I would target. If I am staying at 4 and 10 I am picking Linderbalm at 4 and Burk's at 10. Are those slots to high for these two players, yes. But our needs a-line perfectly for exactly these two players. If Linderbalm ends up being the generational talent he is hyped to be I wont take a chance and let the Giants snatch him with one of their two picks possibly.

My personal opinion, I dont want Hamilton, Karloftis, London etc... I would rather take a swing on possibly a generational talent (Linderbalm) and a kid with tons of upside in Burks.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. blackssmagic

While Kiper has been a legend for many many years breaking down the draft, I personally think that if the Jets pick these 2 players it would be straight dog shit.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's a valid take, Red, but Hill is supposed to be a really good S prospect, as are Lewis Cine, Jaquan Brisker, Brandon Joseph, and Jordan Battle. It's not like Hamilton is the only S in the draft who is excels in coverage, the only one worth drafting in the first two rounds, or the only one who could be a quality starter day one. We want excellent S play, but imo that doesn't mean we have to have the best S in the draft class. S is more important than it used to be, but it's still not a premium position. I'd rather have the best player in the draft class at one of the premium positions where we have a need (Edge, WR,

What did they get for trading back? I would think that the Jets got an additional 2nd round pick, and either a 3rd or 4th this year, or an early pick next year. Trading down from #4, the sky's the limit on what we could possibly get in return and that especially could help the team a lot more than just Hamilton and our other normal picks.

I'm not a fan of Hamilton at #4, either. I don't think I'd be unhappy if JD takes him at #4, but that could depend on how the rest of the draft falls for the Jets. I'd rather JD trade down from #4 as he'd get more in return. Then hopefully, he'd be in position to take Burks, then take one of Hill, Cine, Brisker, Joseph, and Battle lower in the 1st or in the 2nd round, and have 2-3 more early picks to work with.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. blackssmagic

Me personally, if we are trading 4 for Ridley then we need to be getting back 3 first round picks as well. Ridley walked away from the game this year to do mental illness. Also, he is comparable to what we have at wideout. What we need is a big, physical kid that can muscle the ball out of the air, can fight for YAC, and can be mismatches were ever he is lined up.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Personally, since Chicago doesn't have a 1st round pick this year, nor does it have multiple 2nd round picks, I have zero interest in trading down with them. They can go kick rocks. If we trade down, I want early picks this year, not next year. We have needs now, and there are too many good players at positions of need in this draft. With what he has to work with already, JD can change things significantly, but with another couple of 1st round picks (Philly) or a couple of extra 2nd and 3rd round picks (Denver) he could really remake this team this offseason.

15. NCJetsfan

I'm totally against trading for Ridley. If JD does and gives up anything higher than a 5th round pick, then I will lose most of the respect and trust I have in him, if not totally. No one here or on Jets Twitter has given a compelling or valid reason or explanation why we should even think of doing that. The very idea is insane to me. He isn't that good, he has mental issues, has never started every game in a season, and has had one 1,000 yard season in his career with an excellent QB throwing him the ball.

16. KingRoach

What 6’1” WR do we have on the roster next year?

I know what big high point contested catch WR we have on the roster next year.

Regardless of having the roster backwards, we have no idea what “mental illness” means or why he walked away this season. AJ Brown had some mental problems while he was at OL’ Miss. Would you want Brown (WR Titans) on your team or would the mental issues be a problem?

Again, I’m not expecting JD or any team to go in blind but if everything checks out, being able to get a #1 proven WR for the cost of a late 1st sounds good to me.

Sans Ridley, give me Wilson or Williams (bc we all ready have a 6’3 contested catch WR).

barfolomew likes this.
  17. KingRoach

If I believed what you believe:
    he isn’t that good,
    injury prone,
    and crazy,

I wouldn’t think it was a good idea either.

barfolomew likes this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Ridley's really good, he had 1400 yards and 90 catches last year. He'd be the best receiver we've had since Marshall.

Having said that, I don't feel great about trading for him. I think the random leave of absence this year is a pretty big concern. If we could get him for a 2nd round pick or worse I may support it but I still don't feel great about it.

I think Mike Williams might be the guy JD targets in FA. He's a big, physical possession receiver and he's only 27 years old. He'd be a good fit for our team given how different his skillset is compared to our current receivers.

19. blackssmagic

So you would be happy with trading 4 for Ridley per your original comment?
    To me Ridley isn't that good, is making 11 Mil next year and comes with massive risk.
    There might be , might be only 3 give or take wideouts currently in the NFL worthy of the 4th overall pick.
    Also, I would rather draft a kid and have the cheaper contracts as we have with AVT, Carter, Moore, and Becton (who knows with that kid).

Once again these are my personal thoughts

20. KingRoach

Ahh… as stated originally and previously and neverendingly Ridley + #8 = #4.

Ridley for #4 straight up would be insane. If someone posted that, I would’ve been way less polite than you have been to me. Lol. I’m trading back from 4 to 8 giving Ridley the value of about a late 1st

MoWilkBeast likes this.