Mekhi Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see him as a back in goal line snaps.

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don’t care what Lawson did during camp, guys are trying out new things all the time in practice, some rookies look amazing during practice and when they get on the field during game day they absolutely suck, or vice versa, some guys struggle during camp then comes game day and they shine.

I’m not worried about egos, all I’m saying is keep your business in house.

I’m not even worried about Becton, I’m sure when he gets some real game reps under his belt he’s going to be fine.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

For his frame 360-370 may be considered 'in shape'. But if he'd be a better LT playing at 330-340 then he's over weight.

REVISion likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Are we sure Becton realizes how bad he's been in camp? His statement here seems to indicate he may not believe there's an issue at all. It doesn't exactly scream accountability.

A way better answer would've been something like "Yeah, coach has high expectations for us and there are definitely some things I need to improve".

I'm really trying not to read too far into Becton's offseason but I've seen a lot of discouraging things.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do you just blank the question from the reporter?

I also think you have taken my example and used it in the wrong way tbh it doesn't really matter if you don't care what happened in camp, it seems that Lafleur did and I guess the reporter who brought it up.

Again, I very much doubt that he just walked into a press conference scenario and said Becton is going through some issues, somebody must have elicited that response from him.

So as above do you then just ignore the question?

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey look, I know the guy is young but he is also the Offensive Coordinator of a professional football team and I don't think it's out of place for him to be speaking on the performance of one of his most important players.

That said, I find it out of character that in a newly overhauled culture that stresses communication and accountability and respect that the OC would speak publicly and mention some "going through things" comment but never actually speak to the player about whatever he was talking about. I know these guys are busy but if you want the players to respect you, you better communicate, that's Management 101.

Hopefully this is a bump in the road and a learning opportunity for both guys and they use it instead of letting it turn into something that hurts the team down the road. Saleh, above all things, strikes me as an educator and mentor. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was all over the situation as soon as he heard about it.

If not... the lack of communication sounds way too much like how Gase ran his clown show.

7. K'OB

Do you think he didn't talk to Becton?

I am more inclined to think Becton would rather pretend he doesn't know what is going on than admit that his coach had had extensive communications on the subject, but that may be just me.

8. abyzmul

I don't have any reason to believe the player would lie about that but we don't know how the Jets under Saleh will be handling the media so I'm sure it's not impossible... there's just no reason to objectively reach that conclusion.

9. K'OB

Which conclusion?

That the coach is gobbling off unchecked or that Becton hasn't a clue why?

I have no dog in the race but I don't believe Lefleur hasn't spoken to his player either before or after the interview tbh.

I just want Becton to perform like we hope he would.

NCJetsfan and Ralebird like this.
  10. abyzmul

That Becton wouldn't be telling the truth about not having spoken to LaFleur about his comments. What basis would anyone have to assume that?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

He’s a grown ass man

Becton isn’t somebody to fuck around with, not if you want to keep your teeth

12. K'OB

Because I don't believe a coach wouldn't talk to his player if he had a problem with his performance.

Which you seem to think is easier to believe is true, horses for courses, Bless Austin thought he was a good CB and told us often ;)

Not that I think saying working through some things is calling Becton out to begin with, which is really what I was saying before being dragged down a different path.

Ralebird likes this.
  13. abyzmul

That's fine. I will believe what people who were actually involved in the situation have said until it is disputed, you can go believe something that nobody involved has intimated about the situation.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to why you think Bectron would feign ignorance? What does he have to gain by that? Doing so makes both him and the team look bad. Him because he didn't realize how badly he was routinely getting beaten and the team for poor communication. I know that we've all been conditioned to be pessimistic, darksiders, and to think the worst regarding the Jets, but this is over the top imo, and unlike you normally.

15. K'OB

Why do you think it is more plausible for a coach to talk about a player to the press and then not even talk to the player face to face?

Has absolutely nothing to do with being a pessimistic darksider either, I am not arsed either way, if you follow the conversation from the start you can see this but like everything on here, it gets twisted and dragged all over the place, just like now as you label it over the top.

But to answer your question he could easily feign ignorance as his ego could be so massive he doesn't want to acknowledge his ass got beat like a drum in camp.

Do you not think after hearing his OC coach say something about him that he wouldn't have approached him for clarification the next day, do you believe Lefleur hasn't said anything to one of his players on the practice ground but rather choose to say 'He is working through some things' to the press but not mention these things to the player?

Do you not think that is an odd way to coach people?

Of course, I have no proof that Lefleur has said anything to Becton, I just think it inconceivable that a coach wouldn't talk to his player about a problem.

You think that is over the top?

Ralebird likes this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Byz, I love this new staff and I was kind of late to the Saleh bandwagon, most of the guys on the board knew about him before I did other than me seeing him being held back as Niners DC.

I trust that he has put a good staff together, and I’m not anti Lafleur holding any of the offensive players accountable.

My opinion is simple, keep it in house. Learning hundreds of new plays is not an easy task for anyone especially a 2nd year player trying to make the transition from college to professional football on his second staff in his second year.

17. K'OB

Knock yourself out, I hope you never have to speculate on anything on a message board in the future, dear god, you'd think I'd pissed on people's shoes or something.

As previously stated I wasn't that concerned to begin with and the conversation has been dragged way off course.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it's "over the top" either way, whether LaFleur had spoken to Becton about it before or after, or hadn't spoken with him at all, but obviously for different reasons. I think it wrong that LaFleur said anything to the media. Everything should be kept in-house. That's what JD and Saleh are trying to establish as part of their culture. Notice that every time Saleh is asked about something like that, he defers and said that they have handled or will handle that situation in-house.

If we get more facts and learn definitively that Becton was dogging it, loafing or had come to camp overweight and out of shape, and that LaFleur had spoken to Becton earlier about his play/effort, and no change was made by Becton, then that will change things. Unless or until that happens, Becton gets the benefit of the doubt imo. It could very easily be that LaFleur got frustrated the day he was interviewed and made the comment, and hadn't spoken with Becton first. It could have been just momentary frustration. He'd better understand that technique changes take time. If not, he needs to learn that quickly, or he's not going to last very long as an OC.

19. K'OB

See this is the kind of thing I mentioned previously, Becton gets the benefit of the doubt but then you weigh in with a load of possible conjecture about the coach and that is how the conversation got dragged down this road earlier.

I wasn't that bothered or concerned to start with but have been made to look so by being quoted and replying lol I am dropping it now and let's all just look forward to the game.

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Who was that guy years back who was something crazy tall, 6'8" . . . ? I'm not making this up. He didn't make the practice squad. It's very obscure. It was in 2008 or so. Just putting a damper on things, haha.

K'OB likes this.