Mekhi Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Sep 10, 2021.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I replied to all of these in the other thread

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He doesn't block the guy on #1.

He was trash on the other two plays. Even if it's a miscommunication, offensive lineman are taught that inside is #1 priority (quickest way to the QB). He needs to get way more depth on that.

AVT was worse on that play, for what it's worth.

blackssmagic likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Becton has not been on IR 5 times. That's blatantly false. This is either the first or second time that he has been on IR. Trading him is one of the most idiotic suggestions I've seen on this board, and that's saying a lot! SMH You literally have no clue how to evaluate players/talent or how to build a team.

PJ4Ever and Mogriffjr like this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Man, this play especially just shows how slow Mekhi's feet are. He wasn't even able to get two hands on #43.

5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

This play was just almost too much to take. Only the Jets could manage, on a play that should have been a joyous event in franchise history and a symbolic beginning of a new era, to lose their 2nd most important player to what appears to be a pretty serious and threatening injury.

Its almost like the football gods come over the intercom to announce "not so fast assholes... don't anybody get too happy because these are still the Jets"

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's sad, but it's the effing truth. Only the damn Jets.

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Not really, he over set and was beaten inside. It's not like he was beaten around the edge and couldn't get there.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's the same guy who called sherwood a liability in week 1 becuase he doens't feel safties can convert to LBer yet sherwood only played 3 plays and 1 of them he was clearly hurt on. the other 2 he was in on the tackles. I went back to rewatch it and when I called him out on it he basically ignored it. Some of us put time and effort and many rewatches into opinions. others just rant and make up BS to fit their narrative

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

It's not the football gods. It's Van Roten being terrible. He gets bulldozed and his guy falls into Becton's legs. When you can't block properly people get hurt.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  10. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Reports are that Becton is wanting a 2nd opinion and if he does elect to have surgery he could be out even longer

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Perhaps he wasn't as terrible as total shit, but a good game? I really think it is a huge stretch. He played subpar after he was voted #6 overall OL by execs and coaches, then got seriously hurt. I just didn't see any good in his outing that's all. Though he wasn't as terrible as some other guys.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So, how much did Becton actually weigh Sunday afternoon? Was his weight higher than the team wanted it to be? What of the entire new department the Jets installed for total body health during the offseason? Was he doing what they wanted him to do? Would fifty pounds either way have been a factor when someone got rolled up on his leg?

All this talk of his being overweight last year really doesn't say much about now even if Costello reported (without detail) that Becton was disciplined for being too heavy last year. At least one guy here claims he was "LITERALLY" disciplined but adds not a literal word of support for the claim. Where were all the similar reports from the rest of the scribes? I can't find them. - not a source in sight.

cval likes this.
  13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don’t want to detour the thread but Sherwood was a defensive liability in last preseason game against the Eagles. I know he’s a rookie so I can’t be too hard on him but he has a lot to learn and he also playing at a very light weight of 215.

He missed tackles, was not getting to the gap in time and when he did the RB was moving him backwards. Sherwood may be a better player for Jets in future but right now he is a liability.

ouchy likes this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The more pertinent point.

ColoradoContrails, REVISion and cval like this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

True, apply more hate towards van Rotten immediately.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

his weight means everything. It’s the only thing holding him back. Obviously he wasn’t following offseason protocol

REVISion likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

except that it was a studs and duds thread on that 1 game. he may wind up not being good but you can't say a guy who played 3 snaps (one of them while injured) and still was in on 2 tackles a liability.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I usually enjoy your take, but I also recognize your one of the more delusional fans, and whenever your delusions are threatened you resort to insults.

You did read later in the thread where I changed IR to missed time, right? If you want to get stuck on the term IR, fine, but you knew what I was saying. How about, "he has been hurt and had to sit out 5 times in a little over a year". Is that an acceptable statement? Or better yet - is that an acceptable career path for your franchise LT? Is his size going to improve this situation? The biggest question about Becton this offseason was could he stay healthy. He has been injured three times already, so I think we got our answer.

I said keep him this season and trade him after this season, if he is still considered valuable, which i cant guarantee. If we cant get a first for him then we keep him for depth. You know, just rational team building thought that good team builders would be considering. Bad team builders stick with the same problem hoping it will improve. Maybe your comfortable going into next season with that and being in this same spot in a year - but I'm not.

I know you think I have no clue how to build a team. You said it many times a month ago when I stated after drafting Zach we should have drafted at least 3 linemen. You thought that was pretty funny, and idiotic.

How do feel about it now?

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

An under-discussed aspect of the Becton situation is JD's involvement and how it complicates the matter.

Becton was the first major draft pick from JD, and the highest profile one other than Wilson. It's going to extremely difficult for JD to admit that he whiffed on him if he did. It looks very bad for a GM to be moving on from a guy he took 11th overall very recently, even if it may be the right thing to do.