Mekhi Becton - 5th Year Option Watch - Jets Declined

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 30, 2023.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I hope your right, and I wont bet on a Jet to get hurt.

But come on, I know, we know, heck deep down you know, and Saleh should know, that Becton wont last long this season. The guy just doesn't have the mentality to be a long term NFL starter.

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not so sure hence the bet.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He will be there Monday sick or not, he has a contract to play for

dawinner127 and RochesterJet like this.
  4. bicketybam

Awesome. That will be my first one of four.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why did your mind go there at all? To even mention it is bad, and you didn't mention Covid, the flu, bronchitis or anything else in the post I quoted. In a second post you mentioned Covid. There are a lot of simpler explanations of his "illness" than mental illness. Sorry, but your response doesn't wash. He could have an intestinal or stomach bug that they don't want going around the locker room weakening other players. He could have strep throat. There are a lot of "illnesses" that are very contagious, and wouldn't have been good to spread right before a game. Mental illness should never have even come into the discussion.

NOVAJET and hornblower like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

What utter nonsense! You don't have a clue what you're talking about. It's totally ridiculous for you or an fan on a message board to make a staterment like the bold. You're not a psychiatrist or psychologist and not qualified to speak about his mentality.

Jets fans are unbelievable! We ALL really need to take a step back adn get over ourselves. NONE of us knows as much as we think we do, especially when it comes to the mentality of players or what is possible. First one mentions mental illness or a psychological condition out of the blue and then you say that he doesn't have the mentality to be a starter in the NFL.

7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I like you man but you're difficult to have a discussion with if you don't have similar thoughts. Lets look at the facts that we can see. There's 1 guy on the NYJ who for whatever reason can't make practice cuz he's sick. It isn't Aaron, Garrett, etc but just happens to be the guy who I was thinking prior may have trouble playing given he's been out for 2 years. By using baserate probabilities and the 1/53 (2%) chance that someones too sick to participate, there is a reasonable chance that there is something beyond a mere bug. This is the reason I stated it as a non-zero chance. If I gain more data about other guys getting sick, and I havent heard any around the nfl yet, I would alter my opinion.

8. bicketybam

You know what they say about opinions.

9. NCJetsfan

I like you too, but there was no reason to go to a psychological issue at all, especially right off the bat. Being too sick to practice is not the only reason to not be there because of illness. There are a ton of contagious diseases, and I'm certain that Saleh wouldn't have wanted Becton or anyone spreading a virus or bacteria around, and then having 3-4 players or more miss the game or be weakened and not at full strength for the game Monday night.

IMO there are no reasons to think that he can't make it through this season, but if you had questioned his knee or something else, I wouldn't have responded at all. It was bringing up a psychological condition that was over the line and what compelled me to respond. His knee is surgically repaired. He had the correct surgery. He's looked very good in TC and preseason. His attitude has been great. He's a Jet, and Jets fans should root for him and the other players and quit being so damned negative and pessimistic. It's sickening.

hornblower likes this.
  10. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

This is all 100% speculation. It is just as likely food poisoning as it is Covid. If he was showing flu-like symptoms 3 days before kickoff I'd hope they send him home as a precautionary measure so he didn't spread it around, even if it wasn't confirmed to be the flu or anything contagious. Obviously its not good but way better to have him sent home for an illness 3 days before the game than some sort of problem with his knee.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I knew he shouldn't have gone out for sushi with Rodgers.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

He was limited in practice on Thursday because his knee was bothering him. Then Friday he has an unspecified sickness.

Its not nonsense, its common sense. Becton's career has been defined by missing starts, and even coming out of games he has started for every little ding. You couple that with offseason irresponsibility managing his weight, and twitter immaturity, and you have a guy who doesn't seem like he has an NFL mentality. That is the correct assessment until he proves otherwise, which I hope he can.

We don't have to bet money. If you're proven right you can post up and say so, and I'll admit I was mistaken. If your wrong you can act like you never said it, which is the TGG way. My point in all of this wasn't to ding Becton, but to call out the coaches who are taking a huge chance putting all their faith in Becton to last the season.

#172 ouchy, Sep 9, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  13. bicketybam

Becton back at practice.[​IMG]

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Look, as far as Becton goes, he’s going to have to prove he can play a full season. Going into his fourth year he hasn’t done it yet. Regardless of why, the first surgery was not the right one, the second injury was a freak thing, the various little dings in his rookie year…etc etc.

Whatever the facts around his injuries are, the one indisputable fact is that in three years he has shown he can be dominant when in there, but he has not been able to stay on the field. That’s it.

So until that changes, he’ll be labeled as injury-prone, or unavailable, or whatever we want to call it.

There’s only one way to change that narrative and that’s to stay on the field.

I hope he can do it. We NEED him to do it.

Let’s go!

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

John Abraham approves of this message. Wait, maybe he doesn't. o_O

16. NCJetsfan

Injury-prone is one thing, but to claim that he doesn't have the mentality to be a long-term starter or that he must have a psychological condtion are over the line.

cval likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

no, just because you disagree doesn’t mean it’s over the line

ouchy likes this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yah, I’m not getting into that whole thing…I’m not a psychologist and I don’t know the guy so who knows…we can only go by what we’ve seen. But the immaturity thing I can kind of see…or maybe not so much immaturity but more so lack of professionalism? I’m talking about the fact that he hasn’t always stayed in great shape…though maybe some of that is due to his knee injury which may have made some stuff just not possible. I’m not crazy about all the twitter stuff but it’s a different generation than mine…so whatever.

All I care about is get on the field, dominate, and STAY on the field.

That’s what we need from him. He has the potential to be our best OL…we need him to live up to that.

NCJetsfan and NY Jets68 like this.
  19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Oh Dude!! Why??????? :D:D