Mehta: Jets should extend Rex now

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Something he really wasnt given a chance to do when he came here.

He made a mistake with Sparano, but his bigger mistakes was not becoming insightful o. The offensive side if the ball.

He does merit an extension. Much like I belie e with Sanchez, sometimes you have to let coaches and key players grow.

2. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

When the mantra from the GM is competition, competition, competition why would you extend Rex's contract now? He's got two years left - plenty of time to extend him should he do an excellent job this year. If you want to hold the players accountable why wouldn't you want the same thing for the head coach. The only reason why you extend early is because you want to lock people up in the future for less money then you would have to pay them if you waited or if the delay in extending would cause the person to have negative feelings toward the organization making it harder to lock him up for the future. Do you think any of those reasons are in play with thr Jets and Red's situation currently?

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How do we know if rex had the opportunity to replace schitty when he got here?

Giving extensions early is what lands you in the unfortunate spot we are with sanchez. What purpose is there to extending him with 2 years left on the deal anyway?

4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Rex is his dad's son, defensive yes, HC not really. It seems he doesn't care about the offense or special teams.

As for his defnse, where has it been, if defense is his strong suit and with all the top draft picks we put on that side of the ball, why isn't our dfense one of the best? Our defense is not even a top 5, hell I would not even say top ten right now, yet we sign and draft defense four straight years ignoring the offense. The only draft we really went offense was five years ago with Sanchez, and that hasn't turned out well.

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I have heard the argument many times about the 2 afc championship games. Some people use it to defend Sanchez others to defend Rex and some others use it to defend the organization. I think going to 2 AFCC games was great but the bottom line is we LOST both those games ! It is not about going to championship games or just getting to the playoffs and losing ,,,,,,the object is to win the whole damn thing!

Keeping with the thread there is zero reason to extend Rex right now,,

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I just wish Rex was more well rounded

What happens late in a playoff game we got the ball down 4, 1 TO, on our own 20

Is Rex going to just sit on the sideline clueless

That bothers me

7. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

BINGO !!!!!!
    Look around people, replacing your coaching staff and changing direction every four years, is a path to mediocrity.
    This is a bridge year going from what Rex walked into and what he envisions for the future of his Jets team. Patience is the name of the game, for too long we have been on the coaching merry go round. For those of you who have followed this team for more the 20 years, you know this to be true. From the coaches who have stumbled like Walton to outright failures like Kottie and Holtz to coaches who were looking for the door early on Groh and Parcells to coaches who were let go before they may have bloomed like Carroll. It's time to give a chance to a coach who wants to be here has a winning record and has a plan. Yes, there are learning curves and growing pains, this should be expected from a first time head coach.
    Let's face facts. if Mark would have developed as one would have expected a first round fifth pick in the draft franchise QB, firing Rex would be a moot point. The personal bickering of the last few years have been primarily on the offensive side of the ball. A strong leader on that side of the ball would have went a long way to nip that in the bud.
    So yes, Rex should be given an extension of two more years and allowed to build to 2016. We still may not have gotten to the show yet, but if the franchise is stable and we are the force I expect us to be, we will on the way.

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

^^^ These last 3 posts above sum up exactly why Rex does not deserve an extension and echoes what I and many others here have been saying.

I like Rex but I like being a Jets fan a whole lot more. Sometimes you have to make difficult decisions for the betterment of the organization. He is squarely on the hot seat and this year is make or break for him.

Edit: Someone posted right before me so I meant the 3 posts before me starting with Jeti.

9. Hobbes3259

I think it was theright thing to do with Sanchez. The way the contract was structured, he was only really given a shot to prove to the organization, that he wasnt the issue. After this year, its risk free.

And it was pretty well known at the time, that Schotty was staying when Rex was hired.

IMHO the biggest indictment on Tanny, is not forcing Rex to grow offensively.

That was his job.

But Rex has shown enough, as has Sanchez(in fact its fair to say Sanchez has shown more, becaise he was shackled by the ball and chain), that after one losing season in four, you are still mid stream.

Most coaches dont get canned for not winning every hear.

Coaches, and QBs more than any other facet of tue team are like plants....they need to be grown. This coach, gets you close, by managing one sode of the ball. The QB, has at times, made chicken salad out of chicken shit.

People get irked, but I see that as an objective measure. Retreads at WR. No early picks at skill positions, and no high profile free agents.

Seriously, you dont find it sad, that Holmes notwithstanding, this will be the youngest, fastest, group we have had to complement the QB?

And still without a first rounder, since we drafted the QB?

10. Hobbes3259

Finally. An Island of reality in an ocean of diarrrhea.

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Still nobody has managed to promote why should Rex be extended now if he has two years left on his contract. I like Rex, but why would you extend him now when you can easily do it after this season if the Jets have a successful campaign? Not extending him now shows the players that everyone (players and coaches) will have to perform this year. After these last two years this seems like a reasonable position for Itzik to take.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Exactly. What would be the purpose?

Also, why do people think that not wanting to extend a coach with 2 years left on his deal going into year 5 is somehow akin to wanting to fire the coaches every 4 years? Seems ridiculous.

I like Rex. He needs to get more out of his offense though. And there is no reason that I can think of to extend him when he has 2 years left on his deal. For what?

13. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Honestly, I am fine with Rex not being extended this season, but his future with the NY Jets should NOT depend on some predefined win lost record. He should be allowed this year and NEXT year without question, to get more of his program in place. Now that he has a legitimate offensive coordinator with experience, I think we shall see vast improvement from that unit.
    So baring a total collapse by the whole team he should stay this season and next. I agree we should see building improvement each of the next two seasons. If that is taking place he should get another two seasons to continue his program.

14. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

rex is buddy ryan. buddy got canned in philly and zona for making the same mistake as a head coach that rex did. sticking with a guy despite the fact the guy was playing like crap. rex stuck with el taco last year despite the presence of tebow ( who played/won in denver) and mcelroy ( who was the only qb who put points on the board in preseason).

if rex hitches his fate with el taco again, he won't get extension, but will get pink slip. :sad:

#54 mr nyjet, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If a coach has "his guys" that he's endlessly loyal too they better be very good players. Getting hitched to a mediocre player and letting your blind spots kick in is a good way to lose your job.

16. mr nyjet

he was until the lap band surgery. besides, how many other coaches have thier wife and thier qb on an arm tatoo? :)

17. mr nyjet

exactly! remember when the tuna benched sims and went with hostetler?

or, took away the play calling duties from weis? :)

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

This times infinity !

Why would we extend him now ? The guy has 2 years left !

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Clever not witty but oh so clever

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I like Rex. I think the team will do well enough this season where we will want to keep him. But we don't need to extend him now. He's got 2 years on his contract, and he's coming off two less than stellar years.

There's no reason to extend him now. Let him earn it. And if he doesn't, then you have a decision to make at the end of the season.

He's not a lame duck coach. A lame duck coach is entering his last season. Rex is in an important season, but is there really a downside for letting him coach this season? Is he going to coach harder or are the players going to play harder? I don't buy it.