Mechi Becton moving to D-Line?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

2021 Mock Draft Says Mechi Becton was drafted to bolster Jets' Defense, allowing JD can go WR in 2021!!! Has Gase moved Becton to the D-line yet? hahahaha

6. NEW YORK JETS: JUSTYN ROSS, CLEMSON, WR

[​IMG]

Thanks to their 2020 first-round pick, Mekhi Becton, the Jets look to be on the upswing defensively. Now, the thought is, they'll focus on giving their (hopefully healthy) QB, Sam Darnold, a fresh weapon: 6-foot-4 Clemson wide receiver Justyn Ross, a new entry on our big board.

Good chuckle for the day...may Manish got a new job writing mock drafts?

Link from NY Daily News: https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/2021-NFL-Mock-Draft-145681526/#145681526_6

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

On another note I don't like Justyn Ross as a pro. He and Tee Higgins got absolutely smacked in their mouths by the two NFL corners they faced when they played Ohio State. Dudes got pushed around.

blackssmagic and Mogriffjr like this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Ross is recovering from a neck injury. Not sure I'd take him in round 1 if he does enter the draft.

4. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

This mock has Jets taking Ross ahead of the 2 Bama Wars Smith and Waddle. I would definitely dislike that. It was also mocked before the Adams trade so it has Seattle at #26 taking OT.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a "mock" mock draft

6. Not alot of press coverage in the ACC.Those teams all play off man or zone. Young WRs can certainly learn how to work off jams,some do it naturally.But its a BIG projection.Big reason guys like Kelvin Harmon have fallen to day 3.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

True. Another reason why I wasn't a big fan of Mims or Big 12 receivers in general. I think Mims does have potential though because of his raw ability.

They all play that rush 3, drop 8 cover 3 or 4 shell defense and guys like Mims just ran by corners playing 10 yards off the ball. I like his potential because he can catch contested balls and is physical at the point of reception. Hopefully Shawn Jefferson turns him into a good route runner.

Pepsiguy5, BudJet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  8. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

They won’t draft a WR - they will taken another DT

Pepsiguy5 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

People will call me crazy and maybe I'm biased because I played ILB and love the position. But if Micah Parsons is there and there's no edge that looks like the next great pass rusher, we should consider him with our top pick.

8 teams that have made the SB over the last 20 years have had Hall of Fame off the ball linebackers (Panthers, Seahawks -2x, Ravens - 2x, Bears, Buccaneers, 49ers). Three of those guys dragged their team to the big game. That also excludes Bruschi, Dont'e Hightower and the Larry Foote/James Farrior combination.

I'd proceed with caution if the Big Ten doesn't play at all this year though. But I think he's Like Kuechly special.

#9 Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

And still somehow field a subpar defensive line right? That is what is totally disheartening.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

No no no - it’s 2020. There is no LB worth a 1st rd pick unless it’s a edge rusher. Look at all of these “great” LBs taken in the top 10 recently. Yea there safe and good but you can Easily get a Day 1 starter in round 2.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

That's not the way you should operate in the draft. You're looking to get good football players, great football players if they're available. Position can only go so far.

Would you rather have Luke Kuechly (ILB) or Bruce Irvin (Edge)? Would you rather have Justin Gilbert (CB) or Anthony Barr (4-3 OLB)? Would you rather have Kevin White (WR) or Todd Gurley (RB)?

Non "premium" positions vs. premium positions.