McShay's First 2022 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Dec 14, 2021.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/...-first-round-picks-including-qb-landing-spots

Todd's first mock draft is out, the link for that is above (It's an ESPN+ article FYI). He's also not using the current standings for these picks but is basing the order off of ESPN's FPI which is why he's got us at 4 and 9.

For those without ESPN+, here's our picks and the blurb about them.

4. New York Jets (3-10)
    Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU*

The Jets went offense with their first four picks in 2021, but it's time to address defense. This season, they are allowing a league-high 8.3 yards per pass attempt, have just four interceptions and are one of three teams allowing 70% completions. Stingley's production dipped a bit after a six-INT freshman year at LSU, and he has been out because of a left foot injury, but he can absolutely be the kind of shutdown corner New York clearly has to find.

9. New York Jets (via 5-8 SEA)
    Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame*

I'd love to get New York some help at edge rushing or offensive tackle, but the top players at those positions are off the board. No team has ever used multiple top-10 picks on defensive backs in the same year, per ESPN Stats & Information, but did I mention how much work the Jets' pass defense needs? Stingley and Hamilton would immediately elevate this unit. Hamilton -- who I liken to Denver's Justin Simmons -- has an incredible combination of 6-foot-4 size and speed, plays with great instincts and demonstrates the leadership qualities you want from a high draft pick. And he hauled in three interceptions in seven games before a knee injury derailed his season.

Personally, I would hate if this is how the first round went for us. I'm not super high on Stingley and while I love Hamilton as a prospect and honestly wouldn't mind taking him at 9, I think that pick would be better spent at another position.

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas should be fired on the spot if those are his first two picks.

Jeff M, JohnnyP123456, Br4d and 5 others like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm good with Hamilton but not Stingley.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Who were the first 3 picks?

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Can’t take two guys in the secondary. If Stingley came with no question marks on health or being removed from great performances I’d think it was kinda cool.

#5 Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Jojo, NYJFOREVER and KY Jets Fan like this.
  6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

would love to grab Hamilton. Stingley is a great prospect no doubt about it, but huge injury concerns. Reminds me of a Milliner situation.

Jojo and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The top 10 went:

1) Lions: Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan
    2) Texans: Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon
    3) Jaguars: Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
    4) Jets: Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU
    5) Giants (via CHI): George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue
    6) Panthers: Charles Cross, OT, Miss. St.
    7) Giants: Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia
    8) Falcons: Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama
    9) Jets (via SEA): Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame
    10) Eagles (via MIA): David Ojabo, EDGE, Michigan

Rest of the 1st round:

11) Raiders: DeMarvin Leal, IDL, Texas A&M
    12) Steelers: Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt. (1st QB off the board)
    13) WFT: Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss
    14) Eagles: Devin Lloyd, ILB, Utah
    15) Vikings: Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincy
    16) Bengals: Tyler Linderbaum, IOL, Iowa
    17) Broncos: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty
    18) Browns: Drake London, WR, USC
    19) Saints: Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincy
    20) Eagles (via IND): Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio St.
    21) Dolphins (via SF): Ikem Ekwonu, OL, NC State
    22) Ravens: Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa
    23) Bills: Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn
    24) Chargers: Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia
    25) Lions (via LAR): Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina
    26) Titans: Andrew Booth Jr., CB, Clemson
    27) Cowboys: Travon Walker: EDGE, Georgia
    28) Packers: Chris Olave, WR, Ohio St.
    29) Chiefs: Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn St.
    30) Cardinals: Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida
    31) Patriots: Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas (PLEASE GOD NO!!!!!)
    32) Bucs: Cameron Thomas, EDGE, San Diego St.

Brook! and FJF like this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If SEA's pick lands in that 10-15 range, I'd have no problem with taking Hamilton if he lasts that long.

I know people have 1st round S hesitancy after Jamal but Hamilton is a totally different player. A true ball-hawking S that's 6'4" 220. He can offer basically as much in the run game as Jamal did while giving you reliable coverage on the back end.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

I’m starting to think that Linderbaum is a luxury pick at this point especially because McGovern has stabilized with a better right guard. TL is probably going to be an elite center, but we can draft later and groom while we have one more season of McGovern. Plus we can always extend him.

Given the talent availability, I’m starting to like the idea of taking a tackle. I like Neal but if this Cross guy is the real deal (@wewantsapp - you said he is, yes?) then he might be the move.

As far as McShay’s draft, I think it’s insane to think Ridder’s a first round pick. Same with Howell and Willis. Quarterbacks are overdrafted but I can’t see anyone but Corral and Pickett going in the first round.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I feel as if signing a veteran CB is the way to go this offseason, I certainly don’t think we should be spending a top 5 pick on a cb, especially one coming in with injury concerns. Love the Hamilton pick though.

If draft broke like this though I’d probably either look to move down a few picks and take edge, T or WR. Let’s hope Detroit and/or Houston fall will n love with a QB.

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Especially with where we'll be drafting, I think the value of taking someone like Ekwonu, Neal, or Cross makes more sense too. There are some solid IOL prospects in the 2nd/3rd round range that could step in at RG and be an immediate upgrade over GVR, guys like Darian Kinnard, Zion Johnson, & Sean Rhyan could all be had with one of our 2nd rounders. I would much rather take an EDGE or an OT with one of our 1st's and look to trade back from the other.

Only defense for all those QB's I can think of is the 5th year option but even at that, I don't see 5 QB's going in the first round this year. I think it'll end up being 2-3 total.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

I could see Carson Strong sneaking into the backend of the first round, but that’s it. And I don’t even like him but I could see a team liking him.

Ridder is just not nearly accurate enough and he’s a decent runner but he’s not an electric runner. Malik Willis throws bad interceptions against bad defenses. Above average running QB but he’d really benefit from another year of school.

Sam friggain Howell? I thought he was going to have a Heisman-type campaign in the air raid and be a bit of an overdraft in a one read system. He disappointed and he turned into a one read and run quarterback that’s slower than Baker Mayfield. Not a good combo. I like the kid too because he refuses to slide and plays his dick off.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You're probably right. Seems like Pickett and Corral are 1st round locks at this point.

If anyone sneaks into the 1st IMO, it would be Willis, just because I could see a team falling in love with his athleticism and raw arm talent. Ridder does have a big opportunity coming up against Alabama that could boost his draft stock too so maybe he's the one that sneaks into the 1st. I could see the Lions pull the trigger on a QB with their other 1st, with the thought process being he could sit behind Goff for a year or 2 and learn.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

I’ll have to check out Ekwonu. He’s been getting a lot of hype. Read Cross’s PFN profile and some about him on various sites. Tell me this doesn’t read just like Brick’s did?

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/charles-cross-mississippi-state-ot-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

U
    ndersized, athletic, needs to add weight, not yet a great run blocker, etc.

Jojo and KY Jets Fan like this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Here's Ekwonu's profile on TDN. https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/ikem-ekwonu/coZ2tY06GJ

If we were to take an OL in the top 5-10, he's the one I'd want to take as of right now. Big, imposing mauler with some room to grow in deeper pass sets but he has all the tools to be a Pro Bowl/All-Pro LT IMO.

16. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

With the roster still lacking any depth much less above average starters, I like where you’re going with McGovern. We’re not in a position to have a luxury draft pick yet.

Evan Neal at 4 or 5 scares me — he was completely different vs Georgia than he was vs Auburn. So much scared that I’m close to passing Neal entirely for the light feet of Cross.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

In my mind the only thing that would make Linderbaum a luxury is if we groomed him behind McGovern. I think starting a rookie C in front of Wilson would be a disaster. Even Nick Mangold looked clueless as a rookie.

As much as I like Linderbaum, we have typical Jets timing on this one.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

The only thing is if Seattle wins a couple more games, which they probably will, he might be the best player on the board and there’s no reason not to take him if he is. The drop off on talent at “premium” positions is always pretty steep. If we’re picking at 15 or so I wouldn’t be upset with TL or a receiver.

I don’t love a lot of the defensive players in that range unless it’s one of the two inside linebackers.

abyzmul likes this.
  19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Have you watched much of Ridder? I think the kid looks fantastic and Cincy has some legit talent right now too. Ive enjoyed watching this team play. Michael Young Jr, Alec Pierce (who I think would make an amazing TE) Ridder, they are fun to watch.

I'm interested in your take with Ridder though, I think he could make a big statement in the CFP and make people consider him the top QB In this draft.

He Is very smooth, athletic, strong arm, accurate In the pocket. His mechanics escape him a lot when running and gunning. Sole accuracy things I don't like but he's a legit dual threat QB that I think can do similar things to what Kyler Murray is doing In the NFL.

I clearly suck at grading out QBs given the current state of last year's QBs. Still, fun to talk about.

20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Also.. for the life of me.

I do not understand the Stingley hype train still. In no world do I think Stingley has proven himself to be a top 10 caliber pick. Dee Milliner had much better tape and resume heading into the NFL. We know how that turned out. Blows my mind.

Maybe he is that good but I haven't seen It consistently at all. I don't get it.