McKnight says Jets Offense is Relieved

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, May 17, 2012.

1. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Pittsburgh I guess.

2. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I don't think people are excited just because simpler is necessarily better in every case, people are just excited that there's going to be a shift away from Schotty's overly complicated system which obviously hindered the O at times. It's all relative. I'm sure Sparano will throw in his own wrinkles but it also sounds like he'll be more tuned in to playing to his guys strengths, which is where Schotty seemed to be clearly lacking.

3. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

You mean the first Roethlisberger one? Yeah, maybe. Some pretty serious extenuating circumstances there -- and Big Ben did play horribly -- but still. They did win. But if you're looking to emulate that team and that kind of Super Bowl winning performance you're playing with pretty thin odds.

#43 EastVillager, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  4. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

I'm thinking the same thing. This could be a warning cloud of things to come. Half way through the season the offense can be to predictable.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The Pats first super bowl of the past decade, Eli's first one, Ben's first one were all defense first and solid run games before being amazing passers. The Bucs were defensive also.

I wouldn't say it is thin odds, but obviously the easiest and quickest way to become a SB champion is to acquire an top 5 quarterback

6. Wolf Brother

Wolf Brother Banned

Cowboys back in the 90s ran their stuff and the other team knew what was coming, but couldn't stop it. If you have a stout defense to fall back on, you can get away with it. Sparano may have that in the back of his mind in order to keep it from becoming too much indecisive play and minimize mistakes.

7. Wolf Brother

Wolf Brother Banned

If I was a GM, I'd build a stout defense first then a running game and meanwhile develop a QB. Similar to what Houston has done or the Ravens. That would be my approach, because then all the weight is not on my Quarterback.

8. displacedfan

I would agree, maybe build trenches on both sides and then focus on stout defense. But as of right now, all the rules favor the QB and passing, so having a top 5 QB can lead to multiple advantages. Now no QB has single handedly led their team to a SB, no matter how much Pats fans, Colts fans, or even Packers fans want to claim. It takes a solid team effort, but during the regular season having an top 5 QB can get you a bye, HF, rest, etc etc. This puts you in a better position to win in the playoffs. But playoffs come around, you need a team around you. Having a top 5 QB can accelerate this process of having a great team by making others look better.

Not having a top 5 QB, then you need some big plays from other units. In Brady's first Super Bowl, pick 6 and multiple turnovers. In Ben's first super bowl, tricks plays, some iffy reffing, and good defense. In Eli's first Super Bowl, the defensive line played out of their minds and that David Tyree fellow.

Basically I agree with you but ended up going on a rant not directed at anyone haha

9. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

Being a defense and running based team and having a simplified passing game are two different things. The passing game the Bucs ran under Jon Gruden (winning with Brad Johnson under center) was one of the most complex in all of football. That complexity is why he always had to have a veteran QB. By the time the Eli got to the Super Bowl the Giants weren't running the same simplified offense they had when he started. For Brady's first Super Bowl they weren't as complex as they are now but it wasn't simple. I'm pretty sure the touchdown pass against the Rams to David Patten was an option route/check with me type play.

#49 EastVillager, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  10. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Agreed on all points.

I don't think a "complicated" passing attack is better than a "simple" passing attack; I'm not even sure most fans would recognize the difference. Its about the QB - Dan Marino's famous line... "There is no defense for the perfect pass." Peyton Manning... its not that the passes and routes are complicated, its the no huddle and audibles that are confusing. Aaron Rodgers... its the insane accuracy.

Here, McKnight is not saying that the Jets passing attack will be "simple" so much as he is saying it will be easier to learn with less moving parts. It doesn't mean Sanchez can't read a defense and audible. It just means that the WRs don't have to read, say the movement of a linebacker in conjunction with Sanchez having the same read, then change their route. The WRs should still run every route imagineable, it will just be chosen before the snap which simplifies things for the offense, but not neccessarily for the defense since all routes are still on the table.

11. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

In the running game, yes. Their inside draw play was unstoppable.

In the passing game, no. Norv Turner's passing offense -- like any Coryell based system -- is not simple, and requires very difficult throws.

I've said it a few times already in this thread, but perhaps it bears repeating. "Simple" is fine in the running game if you have the horses. Simple, however, does not work in the passing game. Sometimes it's necessary when your players are some combination of stupid, inexperienced or not talented, but it's not a championship winning strategy without some extreme/low probability factors in other areas.

12. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

But you just said earlier in the thread that you acknowledged that option routes and check with me's and other types of complexities can be an advantage in certain situations. Why the change of heart?

So, you don't think those guys ran/run super complicated offenses with all kinds of check with me and option route type stuff? Because all I've heard on multiple occasions is how the West Coast offense takes three years to learn in full and guys like Dallas Clark saying it took him a good three or four years to learn the hurry up offense the Colts ran with Manning.

Why do you keep bringing up this point? Is anyone saying that a simplified offense by NFL standards does not include every route?

13. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

To part 1, "in certain situations" an advantage. In others not. No change of heart.

To part 2, there are many variations of the WCO. Some complicated, some simplified. On Manning again, I think the complications are presnap, not the actually final play call arrived at a momenet before the snap.

To part 3, I don't know. It just seems the "simple" part is weighing to heavy on you. The defense still has to prepare for every route. The Jets O should only be simple in the sense that there are no pre-designated post snap adjustments where Sanchez and his receiver have to be on the same page. Here, Sanchez should know, he will have, for example, a receiver on a go route, a TE on a hook, and a RB in the flat... read 1, 2, 3 find the open guy. It doesn't mean that he can't develop some chemistry with Holmes and they can have their own presnap route audible like all good QBs have when they are comfortable with a favorite WR.

14. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

How could it ever be a disadvantage if both the quarterback and the receiver are smart, capable players?

The Green Bay one is a complicated version. Rodgers' success is not down to just insane accuracy, as you implied in a previous post. It took him years to master the nuances, by his own admission.

It's complicated in both ways, by my understanding. Peyton does the best job he can to read the defense and get into an optimal play pre snap (which is hard enough mentally for the other guys on offense), but there are still option routes built into everything. Again, every story I've ever read about that Colts system is it took even smart guys years to learn.

Yes, because it's a temporary salve designed to hide the bigger problem, which is that Sanchez isn't a good enough quarterback to run a proper NFL offense.

15. displacedfan

I think you are taking the term "simple" quite literally in terms to the passing game. Do you remember Schotty's plays with all the motion and fake lineups and movements? I don't think Sparano is going to come in and say "okay guys, you run a go, you a slant, you a sluggo, break."

But being simpler than Schotty's system is probably not too difficult. There were countless mixups from offensive line to QB to RB to WR in Schotty's system. At least 2-3 times a game there would be a passing play with 2 wide receivers within 5 yards of each other. There was a stretch of games where at least once a game two receivers would run into each on their routes. Clearly Schotty's system was not just confusing for Sanchez but for most of the team

16. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Its a disadvantage when you don't have a QB and a WR on the same page. As said before, Sanchez seems to have trouble with complicated reads and he has a bunch of new receivers to sync with. Thats a good reason not to run option routes.

I don't know why you think that option routes equal proper NFL offense. Where does that come from? Let's see Sanchez in the new offense before we slam it as too simple and Sanchez too crappy for the NFL.

You seem to be taking a small quote by McKnight that he is having an easier time learning his responsibilities and blowing it up into "everything sux and all will fail."

17. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

This is fair. There's a pretty wide gap between Schotty's nuclear scientist type offense and "too simple." But when McKnight comes out and says there aren't going to be sight adjustments and presnap reads by the WR and QB, that to me is a huge red flag that the shift will indeed be over to too simple.

If it is, we probably won't find out right away. Too simple might lead to initial success that eventually falters because of a lack of adjustments.

18. EastVillager

EastVillager Member

That wasn't the relevant part of the quote, to me. The relevant part was where he talked about a lack of presnap adjustments in this system. That can be a necessary thing but it is never an optimal thing. That's all I'm saying. The fact that it's necessary points to a weakness at quarterback that ultimately is what needs to be addressed.

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

How about we give the guy a year in a system that isnt a clusterfuck that only works out well in the mind of the creator, Schotty, before we declare that he isnt an NFL caliber QB. Theres little proof other than pessimism to defend this. Sure, Sanchez could turn out to be nothing more than what he is right now, which is just an OK game manager, but ALL signs point towards Schotty’s system holding back the offense in pretty much every way.

The guy had no idea how to utilize talent or design around a players strengths. He tried to fit everyone, despite their talents and weaknesses, into a square hole...

20. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Just look at it this way for a moment... The Jets line up in a one WR set with Hill out wide, 2 TEs in Cumberland and Keller hug the line, and a two back set with Connor and McKnight in an off I... It looks to be a run heavy scheme and the defense shuffles in heavy run personel. Sanchez should have the option to audible McKnight and Keller out wide as a three WR set and pass with a good mismatch on McKnight or Keller... or yet still he could pound Connor up the gut of the spread out defense.

It doesn't mean its a simple offense. It just means that the responsibilities are set upon the play call or audible to a new play. That's very Peyton Manning like in theory (but of course Manning is a master and also running a no huddle hurry up).