Maybins Getting Fat (not really)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, May 1, 2012.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I think his playing weight will be 240lbs... which is plenty enough for someone whose main asset is speed.

2. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

LOL Bills

:buffaloblows::buffaloblows:

3. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i've read 4 of your posts and you annoy me...

it's simple really... based on SCIENCE eat more calories then you burn, and lift and that will equal lean and healthy weight gain...end of conversation...show me links to "doctors" saying otherwise.

in order to maintain said weight cut back calories and eat the correct number to maintain said weight given your physical activity level...of course you have to manage your macros and ratios but im sure any pro athlete already does that. if Maybin is putting on weight and having trouble keeping it on I am 100% positive its due to his nutrition.

this applies to NFL athletes and high school newbs like you.

#83 TurkJetFan, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

This thread reeks of Bills fans jealousy. It's rather satisfying actually. :lol:

5. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

30 lbs 5 months in not out of the realm of possibilities, especially with the right diet and trainers. Obviously everyones bodies are different. Some people no matter how much they lift just don't gain huge amount of muscles. While other people can work out for 2 weeks and gain 10 pounds.

To be honest gaining only 10 lbs in 2 years of constant lifting seems to indicate you may not be training as hard as you think or you are not varying your workouts enough. Your body can also adapt to your workouts which results in your body not being challenged thus hitting a plateau.

I was recruited to play football in college and I weighed 215-220 at the end of high school. With the workout plan I was given I was able to show up to training camp at 235-240, this was from working out for only 3 months. I can assure you this was not due to steroids. But like I said everyone is different, including Maybin who maybe able to put weight on fast but also lose it quickly.

The amount of lifting he has to do to put weight on may be easy to do in the off season when your body is fresh. It is a whole lot harder to do heavy lifting in season esp when you are trying to recover from last weeks game

6. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Where is the jealousy? Point it out to me.

I've said good things about Maybin. That he works hard, and that it was unfortunate for him that stupid Bills scouts put unfair expectations on the guy because they picked him in the 1st round, and thought he was better than he was.

Maybin is proving that he is exactly what most people thought: not an every down player, not a starter, a guy that can only do one thing (run loops around the offense and hope the QB holds onto the ball long enough for him to get there).

I hope Maybin continues to do well in that role. He always seemed like a good kid, and has always worked hard and given 100% effort. Like most in the NFL, he's had some obstacles, and it is nice to see someone like that earn a nice living.

But, Jets fans seem to WANT Bills fans to be upset that Maybin has a role on the Jets team. The fact is, every team has a Maybin on their roster, it is a called a safety blitz. I hope the kid does well, but he's not good enough to be on our roster.

7. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

Well if you're starting out completely untrained 10 lbs in 2 years might be a loss of 15 lbs of fat and a gain of 25 lbs of muscle.

And unless you're using drugs, it all comes down to genetics - p ratio and such. It just seems like Maybin is at the end of his genetic rope and while others may be able to put weight on and keep it on at that size, Maybin isn't.

Guess we'll see how it works out this season, but I have a feeling he be around 235 come November.

8. TurkJetFan

Both true...Given Maybin is a pro athlete I'm willing to bet the house it's a nutritional thing.

9. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

The scientific term is called an "ectomorph" look it up on the internets. There are three basic body types, Ectomorph, Endomorph and Mesomorph. Rex Ryan is an Endomorph, Maybin is an Ectomorph.

Its all about metabolism. An Ectomorph has to work EXTREMELY hard at gaining mass. It basically has to be a full time lifestyle. As an ectomorph you have to eat a meal every 3 hours on the dot. You can do substitutions like meal shakes, but an ectomorph needs for example depending on the custom program like 30 grams of protein and corresponding carbs, poly fats and other nutrients every 3 hours with about 6 meals per day. Because an ectomorph's metabolism burns fuel so quickly, in order for it to catch up and use that fuel for building muscle mass it needs massive amounts of nutrients. About 7,000 to 7,500 calories per day.

A mesomorph or endomorph can't eat that much calories, it would turn to fat because the body doesn't burn it so fast. As an ectomorph ages his metabolism slows down. (Everyone's does) So 5 years from now Maybin won't be burning as much fuel so quickly and it will be easier for him to make gains. Unfortunately since he's so young he has to eat massive amounts of protein and other nutrients -- hopefully he has good trainers that can help him. Usually trainers are only knowledgeable about endomorphs and mesomorphs because that's the vast majority of people in fitness programs.

10. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Well, the fact that you're putting this much effort into trying to convince Jets fans that Maybin in is a one trick pony who is physically unable to sustain enough muscle to ever be an every down player certainly says something.

To compare him to a safety who only comes in on blitz packages is an obvious attempt to discredit his abilities. I doubt the are many safeties out there getting 6 sacks and 4 forced fumbles in as few snaps as Maybin played last season. If you really feel that at his age and with the progress he made last season that he's already reached his peak and will never get any better than you're obviously entitled to your opinion, but it sounds like jealousy to me.

11. Bills over Jets

If Maybin cannot put on weight (which as it stands now, doesn't look like its happening) then IMO he has reached his peak. There is nothing he can do more than run around as fast as he can and try to loop to the QB. You mention that I use the term safety, and equate that to mean I am jealous. I am not the only person using that word to describe what Maybin does. Players, coaches, analysts, and writers have done the same. It is not meant to make fun of Aaron, but is a realistic approach to his size and what he does on the field.

Maybin is not good enough to make the Bills roster, therefore it really doesn't matter to me where he plays or what he does. I wish him the best. But our starters are actually good enough to also rush the passer, and we have no need to waste a roster spot on situational guys. Because the Jets' starters aren't good enough pass rushers, it benefits them to bring a guy like Maybin off the bench, and that's fine for them.

12. MURDR

MURDR Banned

No it doesn't. Common misconception that most people who don't lift believe.

13. TurkJetFan

You realize that your premise of Maybin being incapable of putting on additional muscle mass makes NO sense and its contradictory to science dont you?

Before you come around spouting off lets see what the Bills do on the field...take it from a Jets fan...you don't know what your players will do as a team yet...we've seen plenty of teams have offseasons like the Bills and flop.

14. TurkJetFan

also true. Outside of Jay Cutler (body builder not QB) big, this doesn't apply at all. It all depends on how you train...cardio vs resistance ratio...thats why track runnners are thin and gymnasts and other types of athletes are bigger..both quite fast, just a different body type.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I lift. Never gained weight lifting only gain weight when eating more calories than I burn.

Lifting has made me quicker in a way on immediate bursts and directional bursts. Gaining weight has always made me slower side to side, front to back and burst.

#95 Biggs, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You didn't watch Maybin play last year because he's already become far more than that. Funny thing happened when he had the opportunity to work with a real NFL defensive coaching staff - he progressed significantly from what the shitty bills coaching staff taught him. And yes, I know they have a new DC.

17. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

Everyone is different, your results do not mean everyone else has the same results.

18. Bills over Jets

As many have said in this very thread, you are the one ignoring science. It is not likely that Maybin's body is able to put on weight. Until something happens, such as he figures out a non-traditional solution, or his body somehow changes, I dont really know what else to tell you.

19. TurkJetFan

one thing is constant in every human being on earth...if you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight...

If you eat right around the same amount you burn you will maintain your weight.

If you are in a caloric deficit (not starvation mode), you will lose weight.

but yes, some at slower and faster rates than others.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Absolutely but lifting weights doesn't put on weight eating more calories than you take in puts on weight.