Max’s Top 10 Preferred Prospects

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MaximusD163, Dec 1, 2021.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

100%. He’s the type of guy who might fall like Big Cat and we’ll be jumping for joy at our luck only to be disappointed for years to come.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe I'm missing something, but I always thought Thibodeaux was as close to a blue chip prospect in this draft as there can be. He has some flaws, but none that I would consider fatal.

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

My understanding is that he’s been a blue chip prospect since he was in HS. But he takes off plays and doesn’t always give it his all.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be ecstatic and optimistic if we land him… but if he falls to 4, you’ll have to wonder why.

REVISion likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Every scouting report I've read has said he plays with a strong motor. Admittedly, I haven't watched a ton of Oregon games, so I can't make an accurate judgement on his desire to make plays.

I guess we'll see what happens when he's in the NFL, whether it's with us or another team.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Where does this come from? They’ve had one failed top pick (Dion Jordan), one All-Pro (Buckner) and one decent (Arik Armstead).

Have to evaluate the player, not the program.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I see it like this for pick #4
    1. Kayvon Edge
    2. Hutchison Edge
    3. Burks WR
    4. Stingley CB

I see it like this for Pick #10
    1. Burks WR
    2. Lloyd LB
    3. Wilson WR
    4. Sauce CB

#146 Rockinz, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

First major shake up in my wishlist now in the OP

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I have the Steelers/Cardinals SB on in the background while working from home right now. And Heath Miller looks like the best player on the field. Blocking on receiver screens, catching the ball for first downs, blowing edge rushers off the ball on runs. Forgot how good he was.

I hope the Jets don’t get enamored with the “great athlete” hybrid tightend (Wydermeyer, Likely, Billingsley, the kid from Nevada). We need a good ol’ fashion tightend (Ruckert, McBride, Kolar).

The NFL passing rules have opened up so that the tightend can be used in so many ways to affect games. Kittle has been dominant in the playoffs without putting up huge statistics.

No doubt that Travis Kelce is awesome after the catch, but he’s also the best player in the entire league IMO at finding the holes in the zone and settling.

The Jets play games in Massachusetts, Buffalo and New Jersey in December. I hope the theme of this draft is to get tougher and build a team that can play effectively in cold weather.

#148 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    chandler and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. MaximusD163

How about 2 of em’

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It certainly not a negative by God. That means to me single coverage was not good enough to slow him down. Conversely, if you struggle with separation and getting open in college then you will be overwhelmed in the pros.

11. MaximusD163

I updated it into a top 15 and swapped some players around

12. Rockinz

I noticed. What makes you like London so much? I watched his tape and came away really unimpressed… I found him lazy on blocks, sub par foot speed in and out of breaks and lacked muscle mass to dominate corners. The only thing I saw him do well is back shoulder catches and fades.. after that nothing stood out. I think he’s got bust written all over him

13. jdub03

jdub03 Active Member

I know you weren't asking me but I thought I'd share my opinion.

I think he does have quickness off the line and out of his breaks, however, he's long legged so it doesn't look that way when comparing to shorter legged athletes. I see nuance to his route running, like he has a plan of attack and can setup defenders. He does create separation at the top of routes, however his QBs are often late or inaccurate on the throw, he has elite body positioning/control which helps him adjust to make the play. Despite the drops, which relative to his targets isn't concerning to me, i see natural hands. He wasn't schemed open as much as others, which I like, since that's what he'll face at the next level. I love his physicality when he's got the ball and I see when he blocks. He's also team leader, which is the character JD looks for. These are the positives I see.

Honestly the first time I watched him, I was Meh. Then I watched more and keyed in on a few things, and liked him more and more. Burks was my 1st crush in this draft, FYI.

Rockinz likes this.
  14. Rockinz

I’ll go back and watch more but I just don’t see the super star potential.

15. jdub03

jdub03 Active Member

I here ya. I don't see a top 5 in the
    league WR in this draft, but I do see a bunch of guys with 1000yds+ potential, which is what I want. I think Elijah will be 1000+ receiver for us, so having 2 of these will help open it up for each other and the run game. It just depends on what flavor WR you like.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  16. MaximusD163

He doesn’t have have explosive breaks but he is a good route runner and exceptionally fluid for his height. He is good at tracking the ball and has good hands, and is very adept at high pointing the ball. He is physical at the catch point, and he is excellent at YAC with surprising quickness and a very physical running style. I like the attitude He plays with, and he has a frame to add a few pounds of muscle to embrace that big body receiver role.

I think he is a great fit for the Jets offense, and he can move all around with the rest of the Jets receiver corps. I think he could dominate as a big slot, or force mismatches on the outside if teams want to move one of their perimeter CB’s inside to cover him. He brings one of they key skill sets that the Jets WR’s are currently lacking. The Jets have 2 good separators in Davis and Moore, but they have no big body red zone player. As a prospect he is Tee Higgins+ and I think he translates very well to the NFL. He may not have Burks’ ceiling but he has a high ceiling and to me also a much higher floor.

17. MaximusD163

I really agree and I think that foot speed for him is not important. He can create separation because CB’s will bite on moves. He is the type of player that if you’re not in his hip pocket, his reach makes him open even in reasonably tight coverage. CB’s will thus bite on moves even without super quick footwork, as long as his hip can lie properly.

jdub03 likes this.
  18. jdub03

jdub03 Active Member

Agreed. What's your opinion on Dotson? I'm really liking what I've seen so far. I do like the idea of a big bodied WR to complement what we have in Moore, but I can't help but get excited when I watch him play. Do you thinks it's too redundant with Moore already in the team? I think we'd be a nightmare match-up between the 20's, and could still produce in the redzone, especially if we add a big TE target.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If both Burks and London were available to pick (at #10 or later) I'd want Burks. If Burks is still on the board at #10, I'd base my decision to take him on what my #4 pick was, and what premium draftees are still there for premium positions I still had to fill.

For example:

If I took an Edge at #4, and a stud OL were available at #10 and I didn't think I could get as good or better later, I'd take the OL. This would likely mean losing out on Burks, but possibly getting London early in the second round, or Williams, or maybe another WR close in potential. While this class doesn't have a slam dunk superstar like Chase, it does have a lot of really good WRs so it provides some flexibility in filling that hole.

If I took an OT/G at #4 (because the best Edges were taken), I might take Burks at #10 if he's still there because whatever Edges are available, I could probably get a really good one with my 3rd pick.

Of course there's a lot of different scenarios that could play out, but I'm listing these two to try and explain my comparison/weighting of Burks vs. London.

NCJetsfan and Rockinz like this.
  20. MaximusD163

Dbl post