Max’s Top 10 Preferred Prospects

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MaximusD163, Dec 1, 2021.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Wilson is smaller than Allen but much more explosive. He actually reminds me more of Justin Jefferson. He has top marks in every category except size, and will probably hit low 4.4 but excellent play speed. I can see some skill crossover with Allen in the routes and body control but I’m not sure the comp is totally there.

Burks would be a great offensive fit. Good blocker, big body style YAC, good hands. Not really a great route runner or separator but jeez he’s a monster. He reminds me a bit of Anquan Boldin.

London is less explosive than the others but he’s a really nice route runner, especially for his size. Good hands and contested catch skills. Massive frame on that kid

REVISion likes this.
  2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Re: Burks how is a poor route runner who can’t get separation a good fit for this O?

3. MaximusD163

He’s not poor per se, more undeveloped. But to answer your question… Exactly the same way Deebo Samuel is a good fit for the 49ers offense.

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Heard he has 10.5 inch hands when listening to Connor Rogers talk about him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Interesting that neither of you guys, @Jonathan_Vilma & @MaximusD163, feel like Olave or Williams would be a good fit for us.

I respect both of your opinions greatly so would you guys care to elaborate as to why you feel that way?

I love Williams and Olave and I think their route-running and separation skills are elite. I think Williams has a chance to be truly special with his biggest knock being he’s not the best blocker. I don’t have anything against Wilson, Burks, or London and would be thrilled to get any of them but I have all of them slightly behind Williams and Olave.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m just apprehensive of Williams because like I said he’s always SO open. Is it because he’s that good with such a good twitch that he burns defensive backs? Or is it because Bama is just that damn loaded in all facets of the offense?

He’s also quite slender which I don’t like. Slender in terms of tall & not filled out enough for his height. Devonta seems fine though so maybe I’m reading too deep into it.

Olave seems like a very long strider to me. Seems like he’s going to be a good deep threat/field stretcher but I don’t like his strength at the catch point or running shorter to intermediate routes. I know a lot of it seems to be similar with Wilson but Wilson just seems that much quicker in short areas that he’ll be able to avoid taking a lot of hits and be very open to the point where it won’t matter.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Being too open is a problem I’d love our WR to have

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

IMO I think Williams is always open because he is a very nuanced and fluid route-runner with exceptional breakaway speed. I think the reason I’m so high on him is he’s doing this against SEC secondaries. Look at all of the talent at WR to come out of the SEC over the last 2-3 years alone, Jeudy, Jefferson, Chase, DK, AJ Brown, Deebo, DeVonta, etc. Seems like the guys that produce in the SEC turn into solid/elite pros lately and I want in on that.

I’m not as worried about frames as I used to be. Guys like Waddle, DeVonta, Jefferson, and Jeudy, all have similar frames/statures to Williams and they don’t seem to have any issues.

I agree to an extent on Olave but I also think he’s one of if not the best route runner in this class so I don’t think he’ll have issues on the short/intermediate stuff.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah man I’m with you on SEC talent. I do tend to analyze receiver frame too much at times and these smaller quick as hell receivers are making it in the NFL so it’s less of an issue. The bold are also why I love Burks and London specifically for the Jets. I want a big physical matchup nightmare to pair with Moore.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If we miss out on Williams, I wouldn’t have any issue with taking Burks or London in a trade down scenario.

I think Williams is the only guy I’d take in the top 10 but once you get in the 15ish range and lower, most of the 1st round WR’s (Olave, Burks, London, Wilson) would be fair game IMO.

Maybe I’m just enamored with Williams’ speed though. I just keep thinking about all the unique ways LaFleur could utilize him and it gets me excited.

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. MaximusD163

For me, the biggest thing for both has to do with physicality. Jameson Williams shies away from physicality, not interested in blocking, patty cake blocks at best. I know he plays special teams but I don’t really like his mentality on offense. He’ll run down the field and hit a punt returner but doesn’t want to do the blue collar stuff. He’s not as refined as either Ruggs or particularly Waddle, and probably won’t clock as ridiculously fast either. He might break into 4.2, but he looks low 4.3 to me on tape. It’s not that I wouldn’t take him period, but I definitely wouldn’t take him in the first round.

Olave it’s not really about willingness, it’s about play strength. He is a deep threat but he doesn’t shed jams that well. As a deep threat, he doesn’t stack enough and just relies on speed once he does get past which works on college but will lead to a lot more contested catches in the NFL which he is not as used to, nor is it one of his strengths.
    If Olave falls to the 2nd obviously he could be a target but again, it’s more about not comparing favorably to the other big time WR’s.

NCJetsfan, REVISion and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Interesting. Thanks for your insight!

NCJetsfan, REVISion and MaximusD163 like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

After the problem with Mims and his route running, do you think the Jets would risk taking Burks?

14. MaximusD163

The draft is loaded with undeveloped route runners. Precious few come into the NFL with a high level in that skill. You pretty much have to draft guys who need work. Development comes from desire and effort, so I don’t think one player freak them out. They just have to make sure they draft dedicated guys. I don’t see Mims as incapable, just unfocused for whatever reason.

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I agree with motor, production and leadership but Kayvon has the athleticism, bend and speed to be an elite pass rusher. My knock on Hutchison is that he’s a bit stiff and plays too upright for me.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

At this moment, I'm really hoping that the Jets love Burks and take him in the draft. If Mims could get his act together over the offseason that would be gravy, but I'm not counting on that as I think it highly unlikely with the Jets. I think he will have to be cut or traded to wake him up, and even that may not help. He may just be too dumb to get it.

17. MaximusD163

I changed it for Top 6 Wishes for Pick 4 vs Pick 10 since the picks are now set in stone

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I see more & more mocks coming in w/Ikem Ekwonu going top 10. I'd be happy as pig in $hit if we could get him at # 10.
    I was heavily partial to George Karlaftis at 4 - but am now shying away from that. It just seems like majority of boards say that Kyle Hamilton is the best overall prospect regardless of position.

19. MaximusD163

I have Neal rated as more desirable because of his proven position versatility. He can play tackle on either side or guard, which really makes you feel better about potential injuries among other things. Ekwonu is good but if you draft him what do you do with Fant? Flexibility in the future is always big for me, and Ekwonu is a statement that you’re planning to move on from one for sure.

At 4, I love Hamilton but I am strongly pro-trade back from the 4 spot if possible.

20. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

I really don't like Thibodaux...Oregon pass rushers usually suck..I could be very wrong..I dont like what I've seen ..lazy vs run, no pass rush moves, always upfield...not sold on him, or his game..
    And I could be very wrong...