Max’s Top 10 Preferred Prospects

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MaximusD163, Dec 1, 2021.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm more in favor of signing solid/good vets for most of our holes on the back-end of the D (LB, CB, S). I'd rather sign a known commodity to help this putrid D than draft a guy that may do well in year 1 but also might take a year or two to "catch on".

Both strategies have their pros and cons though so I'm open to either one.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I believe there's room for both. FA's can help now while draft picks can contribute for 4, 5, or more years. The defense needs a few building blocks. Right now, it has Q and Hall as possible long term pieces. I'd like a few more. Maybe Echols will be a steal.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

As we say down here in KY, there's more than one way to skin a cat. I'm not sure who's out there skinning cats, let alone finding multiple ways to do so but I digress.

If there's a good LB prospect when we're on the clock, I'm not opposed to taking him. We'll just have to see what we do in FA and how the draft shakes out.

Brook!, KingRoach and CotcheryFan like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

@abyzmul Not sure if you’re watching in the Armed Forces Bowl in your state, but this kid Jakobi Buchanan on Army might be the future fullback you’re dying for.

6’0” 260 of ironclad US Military rolling thunder. He’s only a junior so he won’t be in this draft and I’m not sure if they can defer service as a UDFA (I’m sure they can). But this kid is absolutely running over these bad SEC defenders right now.

For everyone to consider, this kid might be a steal somewhere in the mid rounds because I don’t think he’ll have any sort of off the charts tests. But he’s run the ball a lot and should fit the one-cut offense with the ability to catch the ball. I think we need another back to go with Carter. Badie is short and “undersized” although he’s stout for his height and catches the ball with ease.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Damn, that cat has wheels. Even at RB he'd be a good fit. I'm holding out for my binky at FB.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Sorry the highlight tape isn’t of the guy from Army at FB I was talking about. That’s Tyler Badie of Missouri but he’d be a nice addition. This is Jakobi Buchanan from Army.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, can you tell I wasn't of sound mind at the time of reading your post?

That Buchanan guy looks like he's born to be a lead blocker, I could sign up for that. His pads are always at the right level and he seeks out contact, he wants to hurt guys.

I turned on the replay of that game this morning almost right at his TD.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

How about Kyren Williams from ND? Similar size as Carter, not the best at running through contact, but excels in space.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Love Kyren Williams. Threw $5 on him at +5000 to win the Heisman in preseason but the entire offensive line was basically gone and QB injuries plagued them all year. He should be a good rotational back in the NFL. That guy absolutely scoots through holes.

abyzmul and MoWilkBeast like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand prioritizing both, but imo turnover generators shouldn't take priority over getting Zach a freaky weapon or true #1 WR.

11. NCJetsfan

The Jets cannot afford to trade up into the 1st. They still have too many holes. I love Linderbaum, but I think trading up would be a HUGE mistake.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Here’s another one whose been blowing up Kentucky SEC defenders all day long in the Citrus Bowl.

Monte Pottebaum.

13. NCJetsfan

This offseason definitely needs to focus on the D, but it's possible that most of the FA signings could be D and most of the high draft picks still be used on offense, or a more balanced approach. I'm not saying that's the way to go, but it could work.

Round 1: I'd love to add Hutchinson, but don't think there's any chance that happens. I don't want Stingley with his injury history, and don't think we need to take a CB in this draft. Hall is set as a starter and Echols played very well. We could use an elite CB, of course, but supposedly this D doesn't need an elite CB. I'd rather sign a starting-caliber CB in FA and let Echols and that FA compete for the starting job opposite Hall. So I think the only viable options at #4 are either Karlaftis, Neal, Hamilton, or trade down. I could be happy with any of those choices, but really want the Jets to get an elite Edge.

At Seattle's pick, initially I was against drafting a WR because of how bad the D was, but upon more reflection, the poor play of our WR corps, and the fact that developing Zach is still the most important thing on the Jets, I think this pick probably should be a WR or OL. At WR, I'd be happy with Jameson Williams, Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Travon Burks, Jahan Dotson or maybe Drake London. At OL, Tyler Linderbaum, Charles Cross, or Ikem Ekwonu if he is definitely a RT prospect. For some of these players, the Jets would probably need to trade down, and that would be great to add an additional 2nd or 2nd and 3rd/4th.

Round 2: Depending upon which position we took with Seattle's pick, I think our 2nd round picks should be used to take either WR or OL with one pick, and TE or LB with the other. Also, if we didn't get an Edge in the 1st and there's a great Edge prospect, then he should be the pick. The same goes for S. If we don't take Hamilton, and there's a great S prospect there in the 2nd, then he should get strong consideration.

Round 3: Should address which ever position was not addressed in the 1st two round unless there is some great player at another position who fell and who is a great fit.

14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

@Jonathan_Vilma remind me who your top 5 WR are in order. I just watched some and I want to see what my list looks like compared to yours

15. Jonathan_Vilma

I don’t really have them ranked but I’d want Burks, Wilson, and London on tier 1 for the Jets and then David Bell and Jahan Dotson in tier 2 for the second rounds.

Olave reminds me way too much of Ted Ginn Jr. to be in on him. I’m lost on Jameson Williams because he’s been a stud but he’s always running so damn open. Is it great route running and speed or great scheme?

I like Alec Pierce from Cincinnati and Metchie in the mid rounds. Dontario Drummond from Ole Miss as well. Limited production in only one year and was banged up a lot of the year but he’s a big physical receiver who can fly.

Late I like Romeo Doubs from Nevada and Khalil Shakir from Boise State. Wan’Dale Robinson from Kentucky is very interesting too because he’s a burner. He’s just going to come in very small to be a NFL receiver.

REVISion likes this.
  16. MaximusD163

I’m on board, I haven’t seen all of those guys but from the top guys it’s 1. Wilson, 2. London, 3 Burks for me. Not in on Olave or Williams, which is weird because I usually like the speed guys.

REVISion likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

A friend of mine who follows CFB very closely and is a big OSU fan (not a homer by any stretch) gave me Keenan Allen as a comparison for Wilson with a bit of CeeDee Lamb mixed in and I can’t unsee it. Wilson’s balance and ability to contort his body to catch the rock while maintaining control is second to none in this draft.

Burks reminds me of DeAndre Hopkins but he’s faster. Definitely needs some route work and ran a lot of fly routes in that run heavy offense but he’s like Hopkins in that he has massive hands and high points the ball. I think he needed custom gloves made 2x bigger than the biggest size Nike makes. Don’t quote me on that but I believe they emphasized that on a broadcast.

Someone else on this board (I forget who so forgive me whoever it was) compared London to Brandon Marshall and I think it’s a good one. No worries on the injury, it was just a fractured ankle. Jaylen Waddle recovered just fine from the same injury.

David Bell feels like AJ Green-ish. I’m just worried about his speed in and out of breaks but he’s such a polished route runner and hands catcher that I think he’ll be a good receiver.

This is all to the best case scenario of course.

REVISion likes this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

These last few posts have done a great job of giving me a feel for the different WR prospects, thanks for the write ups. Burks and London especially seem like the type of WR we need to round out our unit.

Do you guys think Wilson, Burks and London are good enough to warrant being taken with our Seattle pick?

19. MaximusD163

Wilson maybe, I don’t think the others though.

REVISion likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

I think they are but that might be a function of the fact that I see a bigger drop off between those three and the next tier.

Drake London probably wins the Biletnikoff if he doesn’t get hurt. He had 9 or more catches in 7/8 games and double digits in 5/8 games with two different shitty quarterbacks throwing him the rock.

I think Burks will run exceptionally well at the combine and while his QB (KJ Jefferson) was decent, he probably puts up monster numbers with a more experienced thrower.

Another thing to consider is that I think we’re going to start to enter the territory of receivers really only having one big year of production ala Jamarr Chase and running from college as soon as they can because they simply can handle it. Might even see some early opt outs like he did if they feel like they’re a top prospect.

REVISion likes this.