Max’s Mock Draft 2.0 (Post Season)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MaximusD163, Jan 11, 2022.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd rather not trade down with Washington. I didn't say it in my first response, but a 2nd this year and a 1st next year is not enough for trading down that many spots. The Jets gave up 3 2nd round picks in one draft to move up 3 spots. They ought to get a good bit more than that to trade down 7 spots. I'd rather trade down with a team that has multiple 1sts or 2nds this year like Philly or Denver.

After this year's draft, I will have no problem with trading down for a future #1 pick or other future picks. With the team still having so many holes and depth issues, I think it critical that we get the picks for this year's draft. EVERYONE is saying that the 2022 season will be make or break for Zach, Saleh, and JD. If that's true, then an extra 1st round pick in 2023 won't help them at all. We need the picks in this draft to address as many holes and depth issues as we can.

Washington already has a very good team and a good HC. Even if the rookie QB struggles, they have another QB who has played pretty well at times, they have a great pass rush, and with whomever else they add this offseason in FA and the draft, they could still have a good season next year. IMO the Jets don't need to be in the rolling the dice game. They need to be going with as many "sure things" as they can, or as close as they can possibly come to that. As the old saying goes, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

IMO the Jets should focus on getting the picks in this draft or just stay put and take the players they want, and not worry about what others say about value. If they get the players they want and those players pan out, only a few fans will bitch about value.

Whereas even if things don't go as well as we all hope they will in 2022, I don't think JD's job or Zach's will ultimately be in danger, but you know how the Johnsons are. If the NYC and national media and fanbase react as they have this season, and start buying billboards or planes to fly over the Jets' HQs, the Johnsons could change their minds, and I think that would be a huge mistake.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Leal is probably not for the Jets, he’s a better rusher than run defender which is well and good but he’s 280 which is probably not the fit the Jets need right now.

Im not banging the table for Davis but don’t you think there’s an argument to be made for a defensive lineman who changes the run defense to such a degree as a solo addition? The Jets were 32nd in defense, and the biggest reason was because they couldn’t stop the run. They run Nickel plus a substantial amount of 2 high, so they strongly depend on the DL to handle the run because they have light boxes both in terms of the numbers but also in terms of personnel pound per player.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I do but I don’t think Davis will do that in the NFL. He can’t stay on the field for long periods of time and he was not the workhorse of that Georgia team all year. He was the glory guy. Wyatt took on the double teams and allowed Davis to play a lot of 3T. Not just talking about the Bama game either.

Davis also plays with way too high of a pad level. You don’t have to move big guys like that, you just have to turn them and when they play with a high pad level, it’s much easier to do.

Sundayjack likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No. The Jets had one of the top run Ds in 2020. The problem in 2021 was that the D was too aggressive focusing on getting upfield rather than maintaing gap integrity and stopping the run, Davis was awful, and they had rookies who had never played LB before starting at one LB spot, then they got injured. Rankins was pretty awful. Cut him and re-sign Fatukasi, and again temper the aggressiveness, along with adding a quality LB in the draft, and the run D will return to where it was.

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I’m a huge UGA fan and only wish the best for Jordan Davis, but he’d be a concern once he’s no longer in the structured environment of a college program. For a handful of reasons. First, Georgia had to constantly keep an eye on him because dude likes his junk food and candy. He’s a huge man, but he’ll be battling his weight his entire career. Which brings me to the second reason - his love of football doesn’t run that deep. I don’t think Jordan will do well on a mediocre team. Georgia wasn’t killing teams because he was playing well; he was playing well because Georgia was killing teams and that kept him interested. Third, as others have pointed out, he definitely lost a step when it counted most. He’s a two-down player in a DL rotation and, for most of the season Georgia was putting games away by the second quarter, so he spent most the the second half each game as a spectator. If you watch the second half of the SEC Championship, he has zero push left. Lastly, 2021 saw two Georgia defenses - one before Adam Anderson’s suspension and a different one after. Anderson was wrecking people on the edge. Robert Beal is a solid talent, but swap Anderson for Beal and life gets just a little tougher in the middle. Anyone looking to draft Jordan Davis needs to consider his last three games more than his first twelve. Such a nice kid, though, I wish him only the best.

I’m not a draft follower, but as far as UGA players go, my choices would be (In order):

James Cook. I just think he’s going to have a dynamite career, especially on third-down.
    Nakobe Dean. Super smart, incredible motor - a guy who stepped up and flourished after Anderson’s suspension. Probably the only UGA player I would use a first round pick on.
    George Pickens. I assume he’s coming out. Staying in the UGA system isn’t doing anything for him, although he was out most of the season. Put the ball anywhere within a 10-foot radius of the guy and he’s coming down with it. Reminds me of AJ Green when he was a Dawg.
    Nolan Smith. I doubt he’s coming out. At least I hope not. He was the number one recruit a few years ago and if he stays at UGA, he’ll be the leader of the 2022 defense. Hopefully, he’ll want to stay another year to improve his draft stock.
    ETA: Zeus. Love the kid. I can’t believe I left him out. Such an uplifting backstory and, if his knees hold out, still has a ton of football in him.

NCJetsfan and MaximusD163 like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

just my .02 on davis. he's a worse prospect then dexter lawerence (who went 17th overall IIRC) and the same type of player. he isn't worth a top 10 pick IMO and how much has dex done for that giants defense? him and leonard williams (former top 5 pick who we traded to them and was a solid run guy) are getting run on like crazy. It's not the d-line it's the LBers that we need to improve on to stop the rush and the safties. foley is a better run defender then davis and proven in the NFL to do. letting him walk to draft davis would be a huge waste of resources for a downgrade IMO.

7. MaximusD163

Well it’s pretty easy to say offhand a guy is 80% as good at 20% the cost but what evidence of that is there? Sometimes a guy can completely change the nature of an opponent’s strategy, and there are a lot of things like that that are not easily measurable. For example, a traditionally dominant Alabama running game chose not to run the ball almost at all in the Championship the other day, despite the fact that the score was close for I think around half the game, and they were without Metchie and Williams. I think a lot of that had to do with avoiding running straight into Davis… And Alabama’s OL is loaded with 1st round pick after 1st round pick.

8. MaximusD163

Always love additional insight from someone who follows a team closely

9. MaximusD163

I wonder if his perceived draft stock will drop substantially between now and the draft. As of a week or two ago there are a lot of draft people still proclaiming him a top 10 type guy.

10. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I don’t disagree with the general point, but with Jordan Davis, we only need to look at Georgia-Alabama I vs. Georgia-Alabama II to test it out. In the first game, Georgia THOUGHT all they needed was pressure up the middle, where the Alabama line had been its weakest link. When that failed, they switched up in the Championship game and sent all their pressure from the edge.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Bad example though. Alabama came into the game 75th in the country in rushing offense (total YPG) and right around there if not a bit worse in yards per rush. They replaced 4/5 starters I believe with Neal as the only mainstay and Chris Owens had some experience.

Not to say they didn’t still have enough talent to move the ball on the ground and Georgia affected that, but this was not the traditional Alabama ground attack.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

I agree that the value isn’t there, but finding good run stopping defensive tackles is not that easy to find. Every year, the worst run defense in the league discovers this.

I expect an investment in the position in the mid rounds though so we might be thinking the same way. Saleh and Douglas became enamored with all of these interior combinations on 3rd down by signing Rankins and re-signing JFM in the middle of the season.