Martin&theJETS 2020 Mock Draft (Joe Douglas Please View)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Martin&theJETS, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't really understand what you're saying about the players. In the early 2000s when teams are strictly in 3-4 or 4-3 alignments than you could make an argument like that. We ran 4 down lineman in a traditional '4-3' alignment a ton this year.

Most teams are in nickel a lot more, so the alignments aren't true traditional. Especially our defense. You're not asking Epenesa to be an OLB. You're asking him to rush the passer. We only really ran with two linebackers off the ball anyway. So you just want a complete edge rusher.

If you draft an edge rusher and expect him to play off the ball and cover the flats and shit more than 5% of the time you're drafting him for the wrong reasons and trying to fit the player incorrectly.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I understand that we run a lot of different looks and alignments, and that we used a lot of 4 man fronts this year.

What I'm saying is that I think a pass rush can be the most effective when it is coming from as many different angles and positions as possible. If the pass rush is just limited to the DL (say Epeneza, Q. Williams and Henry Anderson) it will be easier to block than if the rush is coming from the DL, the LB position, and the SS position. I just don't think Epeneza give the best alignment flexibility, and/or ultimately the best pass rush potential. I also think draft yet another DL with his first draft pick as the Jets' GM would be a colossal mistake and would turn many fans against him immediately.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think Vilma's point about how the Jets don't really have a set 3-4 or 4-3 scheme is the difference. And having been burned by the likes of Gholston who on paper was a physical wonder, I'd prefer to go with a more proven commodity. That said, unless there is a guaranteed, stud pass rusher there and the top rated OTs and WRs are already taken, I prefer they stick with the "O" side with the first pick, if nothing more than as a statement of where the priority is.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Pretty much this.^

We honestly played a lot more of this look last year.
    [​IMG]

With a cover 3 look. Marcus Maye in center field, Jamal Adams dropping into the box, and Poole playing in the nickel. A team like us is only afforded that luxury if you can stop the run with a small lineup.

Either way, it would be a 4 man front. Jenkins stood up because he's more comfortable doing so, with Henry Anderson or whomever with their hand down because they're better like that. Epenesa would play that hand in the dirt role.

The days of the traditional 3-4 are dwindling because you can't afford to have three down lineman that essentially can't rush the passer and only stop the run in a 2-gap scheme. You need to reduce that total to two in order to get more speed on the field to fight the jet sweeps, receiver screens, etc. Those big two gap 300 pound Muhammad Wilkersons are becoming more useless by the day if they aren't pushing the pocket in the pass game. They're more easily neutralized with quick passing games too.

5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Also see Leonard Floyd for concerns on Chaisson. Further, these 6ā€™4 230 LBs out of LSU ALWAYS bust.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Or light the league on fire early and then flame out because they just get pushed around. I learned my lesson with Vic Beasley. Randy Gregory had a whole host of other issues but he also comes to mind.

That's why everyone singing Brian Burns' praise should wait before they annoint him. He had a good rookie year. He also could only be put in on obvious passing situations because he gets absolutely blasted away on running plays. Most undersized 'edge' rushers do.

If you figure there's 30-40 pass plays in a game. If you throw on 1st and 2nd down on half of them, your undersized situational pass rusher is useless for 60/80 plays because you can't get him on the field without giving up a 9 yard run to his side.

Chaisson is a little bit bigger and looks stronger than some of these guys. But the undersized athlete on the edge isn't ideal.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Good thing we've drafted 5 of these players in the first round in the last 10 years.

dawinner127 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Except Chaisson isn't 230. He's 249.

9. Martin&theJETS

My FA was a bit of a pipe dream. Those guys commanded a lot of money. Iā€™m happy we hit interior OL several times though.

Lets see what happens Thursday!

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. Martin&theJETS

1 for 1! Praying we get Pittman in the 2nd.

NCJetsfan likes this.