Martin Restructures ~ Merged

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DevTeam, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Good work Martin, I guess that will pressure Chad as well

2. Welker83

Welker83 New Member

Will he be the new Water Boy????

J/k... Martin is a class act competitor that always puts the team ahead of himself.

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

GJ C-Mart...As always , a role model on & off he field! :up:
    And considering that he realizes the end is near and that he could have a nice payday before retirement says that much more.

4. nyjetsjetsjets

nyjetsjetsjets New Member

Agreed. Thank you Curtis [from all of the fans]. Let's hope that lightning strikes and you can go out like Bettis. Either way, you are truly beyond our comprehension.

5. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Just read the article. There's nothing not to love about this guy. I hope the Jets could use him sort of like Bettis and that just maybe he can go out on top the same way.

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

And people kept crying that Martin would kill the cap until 2009 or whatever. He happily restructured, and hopefully he comes back determined and primed. Aw who are we kiddin, we know Martin is gonna do that.

It is a must to draft a young RB though to be his sucessor and maybe even beat him out of a job since he'd be willing to accept a backup role.

7. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

I AM going to to this Mans HOF Induction, no doubt

8. MattMan

MattMan New Member

cut ellis? that may be one of the dumbest things ive ever heard. without ellis, and probably abraham, we wouldnt have anyone to play end. sure, we have johnson and thomas, but no one of the caliber of abe and ellis. plus, the cap hit would be enormous

9. Drew

Drew Active Member

A true class act. You don't see many athletes like Curtis now a days, and it's a real shame.

10. Keeprunning28

Keeprunning28 New Member

Martin is such a class act

11. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Before we all jump over Curtis saying how great he is keep in mind that restructuring can mean two different things:

1) They took the majority of his salary from this season and turned into a signing bonus. Which would give Curtis a nice check right now which would be to his advantage. this would lower Martins cap number this year but increase it in the future.

2) They took his salary this year and renegotiated that number down to something that would ease the cap issues. This would cost Curtis money out of his pocket.

I'm hoping he took a smaller salary but who really knows at this point?

12. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

yeah but im sure he isnt taking less money jsut extending it over more years

13. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I have every reason to believe he took a paycut. Man, I wish we could win him a ring. If Bettis can get one, Curtis deserves the same. I hope Cutler becomes our Roethlisberger. Maybe in '08.

14. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Martin has continued to prove that he is what all athletes on all levels should aspire to be.... Kudos to him...

15. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

That just helps us this year but screws us the next two following years. In that case they might be making room to take Chads hit this year and Martins Next year.

16. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I don't know if he took a cut, or did simple restructuring.

If he simple restructured, his 6.2M base salary turns into signing bonus (so he gets the same cash) but can be spread over 4 yrs. 6.2M turns into 1.55 per year, which leads to a 4.65M savings this year.

I don't know if that's what he did, but if he did that would help us a lot this year but make it more expensive to cut him in 2007 (if there is a new CBA)

17. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

As am I. I've never made the trip. In fact, I've never even wanted to make it. But for Curtis I will go. He is my all time favorite athlete, and is a true role model for not only young athletes, but young men and women as well.

18. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

Hey we all agree on something. Curtis is trully a role model athlete who loves the game.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as Martin hasn't been extended AGAIN, I'm fine with the restructuring. If Martin actually took a cut, I'd be estatic considering the man is already rich. If they extended Martin to 2009 and beyond, like they extended Lewis, then I'm not gonna be so happy about it..

20. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Yeah, really need the details here. If it gives them cap relief this year and makes it worse in the future that's not a good thing.