Marcus Maye negotiations have "gone south"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

He entered college at 19 and redshirted his first season, then played all 4 years.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. That clears up the mystery for me why he was 24 when he came into the NFL. He probably stayed that last year to improve his draft position. Is that fair? If so, it probably did help him get drafted in the 2nd rather than the 3rd or 4th round, so he made more money up front than he would have if he had entered the draft after his 2nd year of play or even 3rd year of play after being redshirted. Someone should have told him that would cost him at the end of his 1st contract in the NFL, as he'd be 28, and teams would be more hesitant about giving him a long-term contract and a top salary. It is what it is.

I'll be happy if Maye and the Jets can come to a compromise and sign an extension following this season, but I won't be unhappy if the Jets trade him for another high draft pick in next year's draft. That draft pick could help the Jets net Kayvon Thibodeaux (as part of a trade up), and he could help the Jets a lot more than Maye.

#162 NCJetsfan, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    KingRoach, K'OB and Lon Chaney like this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think I saw a blurb on NFL app that Maye signed with New Orleans. Said a Jets safety that played 17 games last year, but no name so it must be Maye.

Can anyone confirm or deny. I lost the link to the article so I'm not sure if it's authentic.

#163 westiedog1, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  4. NCJetsfan

It couldn't have been Maye, as he is under contract with the Jets. The Jets could have traded him. I think you're thinking of our former slot CB, Brian Poole.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. westiedog1

Thanks for clearing that up. I hope you're right. Don't want to see him leave. I'm pretty sure the blurb said safety, but when I went to open the article on my iPhone, I accidentally deleted the blurb. I then went to the NFL app to double check and nothing. That's happened to me a few times. I don't like that NFL app.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. westiedog1

Saw the blurb again on my phone this morning and was able to follow the link. You are correct, it was Brian Poole and the blurb said DB not safety. What threw me was it said he started all 17 games last year, so I thought of Maye. I hate the NFL app, they send these vague notifications but make you open the app to find out who they're talking about.

Sorry for the confusion.

K'OB likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

No problem. Actually, if it said he started all 17 games last year, it was wrong. To begin with, there were only 16 games, not 17. Also, Poole has missed a lot of games over the last two seasons. I'm pretty sure it said, or meant to say that he started 17 games over the last two seasons, and played in 23 of 32 possible games.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. westiedog1

Again, I lost the blurb, so you're probably right.

9. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

This is also playing out with Wilsons negs. JD does not have a good track record with contract negs dating back to Osemule

Cman68 and ouchy like this.