Mangold Done for the year....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets69, Dec 8, 2016.

1. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Just heard this. I hope he'll be back next year.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Its time to move on....Sadly but its time

zace, wewantsapp, Jets_Grinch and 3 others like this.
  3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I want Mangold to retire a Jet. I'll be sad if he goes out like this.

grkmanga31 and Acad23 like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I want him to retire a Jet as well, but sooner or later we have to decide which is more important...have players we like retire Jets or the Jets have a winner. Successful teams like the Pats and Steelers aren't sentimental. They cut a player a year too soon rather than a year too late. Mangold's body is breaking down. He only appeared in 8 games this year and is due over $9 million next year. The Jets would be nuts to pay him that $9 million when he may play even less than 8 games next season, or his play may fall off a cliff's like Brick's and Revis' did.

5. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

I hope he retires and doesn't try to come back or play for another team.
    That way I will remember his best years. I was happy he was drafted and haven't been disappointed.

Go in peace and heal.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Mangold is one of, if not the only bright spot, of the NY Jets.

Ozymandias and Jets69 like this.
  7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Either way, no matter what happens, he's one of my all time favorite Jets. I've been a Jets fan for a decade, and a half, and seen literally 2 starting centers for the team. That's impressive, and they've both been great players that seem like great guys. I hope moving forward that's at least one position I can be confident in the team replacing.

RPOZ51 and JetsVilma28 like this.
  8. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

You're probably right, but I'd hate to see him go.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It also depends on what his cap number is..I cant see Mangold going to another team he may retire or try to come back for one more year.Wesley Johnson has done a decent job but not sure if he is the answer

RPOZ51 likes this.
  10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

and the hits just keep coming

11. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

D'Brick and Nick -- probably the best first round selections that this team has made in years (and definitely the best in the same year).

That being said, it's definitely time for Mangold to retire. As a plus, Wes Johnson hasn't been awful.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

12. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

There's no sense for Mangold to risk further injury playing for a 3-9 team fighting for the 2nd pick in the draft. Heal up and allow Wes Johnson to finish during the "garbage time" of the season. I do feel like Mangold has a couple more years left.

NYJalltheway, greaser and grkmanga31 like this.
  13. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

A lot of perennial winners let go of aging players a year early rather than a year too late, but I also think Mangold is still a really good center, a life long jet, and never struck me as a guy who was going to leach every penny out of the Jets. He has a 9 million cap hit for 1 more year, IMO I sign him to a 2 year extension, with an option after 2 years to get out of the contract. I think he has another 2 seasons of solid play.

If we choose to let him go outright I'll understand. My fear is that you let go of Mangold, then you have 3 starters being gone (Clady, Mangold, Giacomini) with Winters, Wesley Johnson, and Ijalana all needing to be retained. Letting go of that many starters all at once, with young QB's on the roster is a recipe for disaster. I would like to at least retain the leader of the O-line in Mangold, and build around him and groom his replacement. Perhaps in another season or two our o-line won't be as much of a shit storm.

14. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

I'd just assume let him rest anyway. He'll be back next year.
    If he is not back next year he will be dining in Valhalla. The man belongs on that show Vikings. My favorite player by far.

Do you remember that Pittsburgh safety that tried to launch into the victory formation to force a fumble a few years ago?
    Mangold let him know just how bad that idea was.

hastygreen and dawinner127 like this.
  15. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I doubt he would do it but I wish the Jets would would try to keep him on staff if he chooses to retire.

16. NCJetsfan

I understand what you're saying about having so many OL starters leave at once, but it's just the way things have worked out since the Jets have had such lousy GMs and they didn't draft and groom successors for their starters. In addition, Ijalana started for much of they year, Qvale did as well, and now Johnson will have for half the season. So the impact will be lessened. If they retain Winters, then there may be no new starters, or at worst only 1 or 2. If they get a TE that is an excellent blocker, or an OT or OG that are even better players than Winters, Ijalana or Qvale, that will help ameliorate any problems with the blocking or having new players.

While Mangold is still good when healthy, his play has fallen off, and he can't stay healthy. I don't think he's the type to try to leach every penny out of the Jets, either, but that doesn't mean that they should pay him for play and production they won't get. I'm sorry, but I think signing him to a 2-year extension would be absolutely nuts. I don't think he'd stay healthy next year, much less for 3 more years.

If he could guarantee that he could stay healthy and play at a high level, then yes I'd want him back next year, but there are no such guarantees, so I hope that he will retire or the Jets will cut him. If not, I won't be upset, but will sure hope he stays healthy and plays at a high level.

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

For the most part, Mangold has been healthy with the jets, and I think he rushed himself back this year which led to his demise and subsequent injury reserve tag. I get both sides of the argument because he is old, he has been injured this year, and his play is obviously not as good as maybe 2-3 years ago. Ijalana is not a starter IMO but he is good depth, Qvale, Wesley Johnson and Brian Winters absolutely need to be retained. If you bring back Mangold then it lessens the burden of having to find immediate starters at o-line. I agree that the gm's for the jets have done a horrible job of developing young OL talent and have not focused on the position much throughout the draft. I don't count on us having a good blocking TE, we haven't had one in ages even though the Jets were hell bent on thinking Kellen Davis was one even though he was a horrendous blocker. Either ways, like I said, I see both sides, I don't necessarily subsribe to either or, and would be fine with either or, I guess I just feel that getting rid of everyone in one shot is not necessarily a good thing if there's not much talent at said position.

An example of this is B. Marshall, I would totally be ok if we shipped him off for a pick, not only is he an older WR, but we have so many young prospects at that position that it would not be smart roster allocation to keep b marsh and decker, have to get rid of one or the other, or maybe both if you're feeling ballsy. We don't have that kind of talent on the o-line unfortunately.

18. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

We aren't going to be picking second.

19. NCJetsfan

I understand. I see both sides of the issue as well, and won't be upset either way. If I'm not mistaken, it isn't just this year that Mangold missed some games this season. He has been remarkably healthy, but missed a game each of the last 2 seasons and played banged up a little. He also missed 2 games in 2011. He's played a lot of games and absorbed a lot of hits. It would definitely be a calculated risk to keep him for another season at his age. I truly don't think there's any way he can play 2-3 more seasons. With the team in rebuilding mode, why would he want to play another season for the Jets? If he wants to play another year or two, I would think he would want to play for a contender.

I just think that with the $9 million in cap space, they could either sign Andrew Whitworth or Riley Reiff and upgrade the LT spot, which is the most important position on the OL. I think the dropoff in play from Mangold to Johnson is less than it would be from Whitworth, or maybe even Reiff to Ijalana. I agree that Ijalana is good depth, but not really a starter. Since the odds of the Jets finding a new starter at LT in the draft are very small, I think the priority has to be on upgrading the LT spot.

Unless Mac is brain dead, he has to see how the Jets not having a quality TE has hurt them on offense, both in the rushing and passing attacks. It will be even more important for a young QB to have a quality TE. I think that's why Mac rolled the dice on ASJ, and signed Eric Tomlinson off another team's PS. He's desperately trying to find help at that position. I will be shocked if he doesn't sign a FA TE or draft a TE. If he doesn't, then either ASJ and Tomlinson have shown a ton of potential and he thinks they will be the answer, or he is brain dead. He may prove to be the latter in either case if he's wrong about ASJ and Tomlinson and doesn't add another TE as insurance.

grkmanga31 likes this.