Mangini takes pride on these Jets...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexJetinBcn, Jan 23, 2010.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

He's a good coach with some personality quirks. Wish him well -- if he harbored any grudges with the NYJ, we don't have Sanchez.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

My Father and Brother agree with this belief. That sneaky ego-driven asshole Favre.

3. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i agree with the first part...the second part i'm not so sure of...he didn't need to tank to get out of NY

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

He laid the foundation for this team, he should take some pride in their success. That being said it was his fault that they underachieved...well Burt bears some blame too. I still think Mangini will be a good coach but he needs to win more then 5 games next year. People around the league know how bad the Browns were under Crennell and the fact that the team won 4 games to end the season with that roster and those QBs says that he can coach.If he wins 7 or 8 games next year it will be tough for Holmgren to ax him when you consider that they would have won 12 of their last 20 if they go 8-8.

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That's absolutely correct, it shows what a scumbag and what an ego driven asshole the guy is. I have no doubt in my mind it was him that decided to throw on 4th and 3 last week not the CS or Childress. The fact that he pretended to not know what was going on just shows what an ass he is. If they don't tank it down the stretch though we don't have Rex and we don't have Sanchez and we're not one game away from the SB. It would however be awesome to stick to him in the SB and say....look what you could have had!!!

6. Greenlantern88

Greenlantern88 New Member

In one draft with 4 picks, Mangini traded up to get Revis, grabbed our leading tackler Harris, and picked up Stuckey which helped us get Braylon.... your telling me we could've got here w/out these guys? Great eye for talent, shitty NFL coach... would do well in College with teenagers..

7. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I do give him credit for winning 4 games to end the sesaon. The browns have very little talent and its a miracle they won 5 games.

8. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen New Member

I Hate Franjessica

Whos Wit Me

9. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Mangini deserves credit, not only for the players that he helped assemble while he was here, but for the guys he helped us acquire through those most excellent trades he made as a member of the Browns. Nobody can take that away from him.

Rex being able to do what he obviously couldn't just shows that the team is following the natural progression to becoming a perennial contender. He will always have Paris, though.

10. gfan333

gfan333 New Member

Oh please. The Jet's finished 9-7 this season-- just like they did last season under Mangini. The competition was just harder last season. The Jets got hot at the right time this season, blaming Mangini for your losses and not recognizing him as part of reason for your success is stupid.

Browns will be a great team in the coming years, check the draft picks they got this offseason-- all Mangini's doing.

11. salex

salex New Member

Nothing against Mangini, I wish him well. He wasn't the right coach for us but he certainly didn't hold any grudges.

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Mangini is absolutely right. He built an outstanding roster for this team. Mangini gets hated on way too much by our idiotic fan base, he's a good coach and definitely should take pride in how the NYJ are doing right now.

#32 Jake, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I bet nobody but Lav Coles hated Mangini. Nobody knows what was going on inside that locker room because nobody was allowed to speak. Everyone thought Cleveland's players hated Mangini too but he got a fuckin' gatorade shower after their last game, not exactly the behavior you'd expect from a roster that hates him.

Mangini will probably turn Cleveland around. They have (I think) 11 draft picks this year. Look what he did in the draft's with us... and don't tell me that was Tannenbaum. Cleveland went 4-12 under Crennel the year before, and went 5-11 under Mangini in a year where he was completely overhauling the roster. Lombardi himself wouldn't have turned that mess around in one season and I'm glad EM was given more time.

14. Sanchez All Day

Sanchez All Day New Member

Mangini could be a great coach...he's just a miserable human being

15. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Two points. One for logic, one for an excellent Band of Brothers analogy.

16. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Worst analogy ever?

17. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

mangini actually did alot of good things his draft picks were excellent he also helped nail bellicheat. he could become a good coach. he isn't a bad guy, just needs experience and confidence etc.

18. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

agree 100%

it just seems that people need a scapegoat. it's funny because you hear people talk about mangini on here all the time but who's still talking about brett favre and all his horrible INT's?

the only thing you can knock mangini for is his approach wasn't universally accepted by the players here. the players responded much better to ryan and imho of course he's a better coach, but mangini understands how to build a team and that's why they beefed up at key positions.

for the idiots throwing out the vernon gholston pick as a discredit to him, they always seem to forget the revis', d'bricks and mangolds of the world. i'll take 1 bad pick in favor of a bunch of home runs. most teams are NOT that lucky

19. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I disagree. Mangini might have brought the talent, but didn't know how to coach it. By that logic, he'd be better as a GM. There are many talented rosters in the NFL, but those teams are not always coached well. Let's face it, the Browns were in a state of anarchy before Mangini came there and laid down the law. In those types of situations, being a hardass coach does help, but its not going to get them much better than 8-8.

From the standpoint of acquiring players, Mangini can be proud, but he certainly wouldn't have taken this years team to the playoffs if he were still here.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

When I said "rebound", I wasn't talking about wins & losses...I'm talking about attitude and spirit. Would you rather be the 10-6 Patriots and cleaning out your locker or the 9-7 Jets and getting ready to play for the AFC trophy? Those 11-5 Packers are watching the games on TV tomorrow.

You really think Mangini would have taken this team, this team that he 'built'...this far? I don't want to piss on his accomplishments, but they sure look like they belong on the resume of someone better suited to the front office, not the sidelines.

Great eye for talent? Wonderful. He's a good scout. Let's see what he did with all this talent.

Was he some sort of game tactician? Nothing stood out to me. The late season collapse last year was more than Farves arm, of that I'm sure. Most of those games were winnable if we had just run the ball. And would he have even gotten to 9-7 without Farve? That's debatable.

What's Mangini's post-season record? Hmmm 0-1. And that's in three years with the team. What's Ryan's post-season record? 2-0 and counting. In one year with the team. Maybe Rex can coach this team to a 4-12 season next year...like Mangini did in his second year with the Jets. I can just imagine how Mangini would have handled Mark Sanchez this year. I shudder at the thought.

Wasn't he some sort of defensive guru? In his 1st year as coach, our def. ranking was 6th in pts. and 20th in yrds. Don't worry, it got a lot more consistent...19th/18th in '07, then 18th/16th in '08.
    His bend don't break philosophy got him a three and out to Cleveland. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems we're playing a lot better one year later with a totally different system and a majority of the same players. Actually we're 1st in both categories. With mostly Mangini's players. The same players are playing lights out defense this year with the addition of a couple of Ryan's guys. Maybe Mangini Twitters them a game plan every week.

And let's remember what the players said after each coach left their teams.
    I didn't hear any Raven players complain about Rex being some kind of asshole. I do remember hearing some say they wish they could go with him. Even into battle.

I forgot how many Jets expressed their desire to follow Mangini to Cleveland. Anybody? A few were traded there...if you listen closely you can still hear their muffled screams of protest.

Unless something changed in the last 40 years I've been watching football, a great coach is someone that motivates players to achieve more than what they think they are capable of. A good coach gets talent, a great coach gets talent to play as a team. And win. Maybe Mangini can succeed in Cleveland, but Rex did more in one year than Mangini did in three.

You know what...you guys that questioned me for using the word 'rebound' are correct. I was wrong to use it.

This team is REBORN!

#40 Acad23, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010