Making the case to NOT draft a WR in the 1st

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 7, 2022.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

35% was the 3rd most in the league so it seems like the “rumors” are true.

A LB doesn’t line up on the LOS, TEs do so imo it’s a false equivalency. If you don’t think a good blocking TE does work in the trenches, let’s agree to disagree.

Re MiLF’s desire to run 12 packages, let’s circle back after FA and the draft when we see what our roster looks like. But let’s agree that being in the top 5, ranks pretty high.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

in what way does that work? it's still only about 1/3rd that also included injuries at o-line so needing another TE (and using a lineman at TE) to help pass protection as well as injuries to WRs. over the season we were 20% which was 20th in the NFL out of 32 teams. you want that players that is usable on 80% of your play calls not the one on 20%. There is no way you can twist this to fit a narrative so don't even try

on top of that a TE also lines out wide off the line at times and LBers do line up at D-line (have you heard of von miller for example) so again it makes no sense trying to twist something. we run a zone defense which is typically done with 5 DBs and 2 Lbers the trenches on defense is d-line. on offense the trenches is o-line. that's what saleh is referring to.

I never said a good blocking TE doesn't help but Tes don't block better then o-lineman and if you have a kittle who does both so well, it's a big loss to have him pass protect instead of in a route. most of kittles blocking happens on run plays and WR screens not pass plays.

We do need a TE, nobody is disputing that, but we need a TE1. it's not becuase we want to run more 2 TE sets. we'll always run 3 WR sets more. it's the way the system and quite honestly the entire NFL works right now. slot WRs are considered starters and are more of starters then SAMs on defense because of that. Ni backs are considered starters too

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Just look at the 40 times to see how deep the WR position is.

Without a top five stud this year is WR # 6 all that much worse than WR # 1?

Also the free agent class is stacked.

If JD gets our his check book we will have WR # 1, Corey Davis AND Elijah Moore.

Who needs a first round WR then?

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

I think cooper will be the best if dallas cuts him. I don't think adams or godwin hit the market. Best Wrs on the market will be thin with likely chark and kirk leading the way and neither is a WR1

5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Re LB I was picturing a 4-3 coming thru on the blitz, to answer your question, yes Von Miller plays in the trenches.

I never said or implied a good blocking TE is a better blocker than on O-lineman - I’m not sure where you got that from. I also didn’t say a TE lives in the trenches, I said they “do work in the trenches”

Re: how does the word “more” works, well it’s a complicated word. You apparently took it as me saying the Jets want to run a 12 set more that a 11. The way the word more was intended was they want to run a 12 set more than they did this year and more than 90% of other teams.

I’ve gone back and re-read my posts and yours and it really seems like we’re having 2 different conversations.

I’m sorry I pointed out your misinterpretation of Saleh’s statement, if I knew it was going to set off this firestorm, I wouldn’t have.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. I thought or at least it seemed to me that the point you were making was that the jets wanted to drastically increase the amount of times we ran 12 personnel and due to that you felt TE2 was more important for us then WR3 and that what the jets have said so far confirm that. because I haven't gotten any of that but if that's not what you were getting at that sorry if you think things went off the rails, I was just having a conversation, don't take it personal.

still you are saying the jets want to use it more then 90% of teams and I don't see that either. that would put them in top 3 of the NFL. none of them really run it much. SF where saleh and MLF came from only ran it 10% last year. Jets ran it 20% last year and likely to be around the same for 2022. only team that really used it was miami at 61% every other team was under 30%. GB, Hou, ATL, DEN, SEA, NYG all ran it the most not including miami so I doubt we run it more then them either.

7. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

I've had someone on here tell me not taking a WR in the 1st is "cheaping out" on the position, which is ludicrous. IMO any WR taken in the top ~40 picks can be counted as a premium pick, full stop. I'm all for using a premium pick at WR, but a high second rounder is premium for:

WR
    Safety
    IOL
    TE
    DT
    ILB

For me personally I'd consider premium picks in the top 20 or earlier at

LT
    CB
    Edge

And I'd have premium start for QBs in the top 10

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

JJ made all the picks though. His eye for talent was one of the best all time

Ralebird and KingRoach like this.
  9. Rockinz

I agree to a certain extent with going to the second round if the player JD covets isn’t there. Let’s say Burks gets taken by Atlanta at 8 and we got either KT/Hamilton/Ekwonu at 4. Is Wilson the slam dunk pick at 10? I don’t think so… not if Stingley or Sauce is still on the board.

I also think we are getting ahead of ourselves a bit too. A lot more draft questions will be answered after the first week of free agency

Nyjets4eva and James Hasty like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It may be a little high, but I'd take Christian Watson at #10 if they got Thibodeaux or Hamilton at #4. Again, I want NO part of Stingley even in the 10th round. I don't think Watson lasts to the second, even the high second, round now that his "secret" is out. At 6'4# with 4.36 speed and great hands and crisp cuts, he's exactly what the Jets need in a WR.

11. Rockinz

I’m not sold on Watson. Division 2 guys scare me… I just don’t get why he wouldn’t transfer if he’s that good. Although I will admit I’ve only watched his highlights not his tape. I will be getting to him soon though. As of now it’s a hard pass though.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You don't need more tape to show that:

- He's faster than Burks
    - He makes much sharper cuts and runs route better than Burks

To me those are things that set him apart.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  13. Rockinz

So why division 2? Stephen Hill and Mims run faster and better routes coming out over Burks too. I can bet that Burks will be far superior.

Seems like Vegas also thinks so. Burks the number one pick in dynasty leagues.

14. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Agreed. Wasn’t even 1st team AA.

Rockinz likes this.
  15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I hear ya just not a fan and I just feel it's just luck. Douglas has done it a lot and we are no better than when he took over. Maybe even worst.

16. boozer32

Wrong Johnson was both. Johnson made those trades and drafted Aikman. That was all him and the reason he left Jerry Jones and his ego was jealous.

17. GasedAndConfused

you have to give him time to overhaul a roster. he took over a team that had no talent, no extra picks, a 3rd overall QB on hi way to being a bust, an awful HC who messed up his 1st draft (guys like mims and perine were for gase's system) no cap room etc.

he's only had 2 draft and 2 offseasons so far (this will be 3) and only 1 with saleh as HC.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. boozer32

I realize not a lot of time but the clock is ticking. The barometer will be what the cross town guys do with their new GM and head coach. If the Giants make a statement quicker it will not be good for the Jets brass.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

giants have a better roster TBH. their D is really good except for edge and maybe a CB
    their o-line and QB needs works but they are good at WR and RB. jones and bad coaching has held them back and injuries. they aren't as bad as their record would suggest

boozer32 likes this.
  20. boozer32

That's gonna be bad news for the Jets if Daboll works his magic with Jones and gets the Giants winning again.