Make or Break for these guys

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I have a few guys I’m interested in seeing their roles play out because they most likely on their last legs with this team

TE Chris Herndon- he’s made some exciting catches but his overall inconsistency has been killer for a young QB in Sam to make his way in this league, and a good TE can help especially over the middle. Bad drops and just not being able to get a good flow on offense. There’s no real threat on the roster to overtake him but YeBoah and the others have a shot. Herndon has the talent but can he put it all together?
    - I think he has a shot here because he’s the defacto starter.

LB Blake Cashman- Dude has speed for days but what is he really? I mean can anyone say how Cashman plays? The potential to be a sideline to sideline LB was there in college but it’s like aside from special teams we rarely seen him on the field. Injuries have ravaged him to the point he’s on the roster bubble. Yet this maybe the best time for him to show what he can do wjth so much uncertainty at the LB spot after CJ and Davis.
    - I think he gets cut, injuries just has kept him off the field, I think the youngins will overtake him

CB Bless Austin- I liked the underdog story of a 6th rounder coming off an ACL injury being able to show what he can do. He plays physical and is big but he’s had bouts of inconsistent play including big time gaffes. And he’s been not good as a tackler but the intangibles have been there. Between the lack of JD bringing in a vet and the 5/6 young corners on the squad, he has a pathway to start. Can he? There’s a bunch of young corners ready to pounce at his spot.
    - I believe Bless was hurt or recovering from injury. I can see Pinnock getting the starting nod, Bless will be rostered but be a backup.

RT Chuma Edoga- Hes clearly on the roster bubble with the addition of Moses, and Fant now the swing tackle. Edoga has age on his side but he really hasn’t shown much, he’s a bit light and struggled playing RT. McDermott is his likely competition and Edoga would be better served to show he can be kicked inside to play guard to show some versatility.
    - Gun to my head, Edoga doesn’t show enough to be rostered due to lack of versatility, gets cut. McDermott is more versatile especially now that Fant is your swing backup.

Brook!, joelip, barfolomew and 8 others like this.
  2. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Mogriffjr and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Agree with the rest except for Bless Austin, I think with a good camp he starts

DetroitRed, FJF, Royal Tee and 5 others like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I will not be surprised at all if Kroft or even Griffin winds up starting at TE. Herndon better have his ass focused and catching everything. He could even wind up traded or cut if he drops a bunch of passes. Potential be damned. He needs to produce, to shit or get off the pot. I'm getting sick of him. I almost hope he does get traded/cut. I wish Yeboah had a real shot to make the team, but don't think he does. I think he goes to the PS (if he clears waivers).

5. patleahy

I believe @ouchy has this year marked as a "Make or Break" season for BOTH Wilson and Saleh. :(;)

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised? SMH

Noam likes this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

That did make me smile. But what is sad is it is likely true. But, that is what makes it funny.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Agreed with the list, but if the Jets get production out of any of those guys, it would be a huge bonus. I am sure they are going in not expecting much. Austin is a solid player though. If he doesn't start, he is at least a good back-up.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where @patleahy got that? Its pretty ridiculous to say this is a make or break year for Saleh, and would have to be a really, truly, bad season for Wilson to be considered broken (outside of injury).

I have said if his offseason moves go south then this year could break JD.

patleahy likes this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

No offense but the tone of most of your posts is the world is going to explode now. Eventually the world may indeed explode but most people may have tuned out your warnings by then.

In other words your posts seem to usually possess a dramatic life threatening over the top urgency to them.

FJF likes this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That's fine bro.

But while your at it can you also tune out the post claiming I think this is a make or break year for Saleh?

Noam likes this.
  12. patleahy

lol I was just busting you @ouchy, it was just a joke, that's all. that is why I tagged you, I figured you would see my post and respond.

barfolomew and ouchy like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

good list overall.

I agree with herndon for sure

cashman I think is pretty safe. he's shown enough on the field to at least be a depth guy and we have a ton of need at LBer and he fits the system well. he just needs to stay healthy.

bless is also safe. we have a lot of potential at CB but nothing proven and he's played well. his main issue was injuries and he's done good staying healthy

chuma is a goner for sure, hasn't lived up to a 3rd round pick and won't get another contract from us, not with all we invested in the o-line.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

All those guys will make the team, as they are cheap and decent depth pieces.

Herndon and Bless I think will be starters, and Cashman is very good on specials if nothing else.

The question is whether they get another deal from the Jets, in which case they all have a lot to prove this year.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  15. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Lol only giving him 2 offseasons huh before a MakE oR bReAk yeAR.

FJF likes this.
  16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

break glassman is done. last year.

add zuniga and perine to that list, i think

17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Next up, Ashtyn Davis. So far, a waste of a spot. Put him on ST and get it over with.

JackBower and Cman68 like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Never really thought Cashman played as fast as advertised. He is fast on special teams and such but his reaction time always looked pretty slow which keeps him from getting his legs moving.

Bless is a good fit as a zone corner. He might be a better fit as a strong safety though (good tackler + aggressive) in this cover 3.

FJF likes this.
  19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Of the four up top I think Herndon definitely qualifies.

The other three really feel like they already broke and are no longer in the make or break middle ground.

I'd probably add Perine/Davis/Zuniga. If they dont show anything this year, they'll be on the chopping block next.

20. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Good post, I'm rooting for all these guys. I hope edoga turns into someone serviceable. Someone who is a really good backup.