Madden 09...the BEST Madden I have ever played.

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by PennyandtheJets, Aug 12, 2008.

1. revis024

revis024 New Member

are you guys having an xbox360 league? cause if so i am so in for that. depending on what available teams are left..

2. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Just join it anyway....who cares what teams are left.....league records don't count against your overall record anyway.

3. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Well i finally won my 1st game online. I'm now 1-3. The guy quit in the 3rd when i picked off Gerrard.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

There was a roster update today. When will there be one for PS2?

5. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The updates still haven't come out. EA sucks.

6. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any info on when patch #2 will come out?

7. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

On the EA message boards they talked about this Friday as the day. Plus revisions of the rosters where Brady and Merriman are on I.R..

8. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! I'm been waiting forever to run my offline franchises.

9. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Hey, I'm probably getting my PS3 soon (finally!), and the first game I'm picking up will most likely be Madden 09. I haven't played a Madden game since '05, so I guess it's been awhile.

Anyway, could you guys do me a favor and post a list of your pros and cons about the game? (and also any major changes since '05 version, if you can remember that far). Sorry if you guys already talked ad nauseum about this already, but I don't feel like going through 11 pages of this thread. I trust your opinion more than gamer sites.

10. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I finally finished my season with the Jets on PS3.

Gotta say, I hate the offseason. It really fell off from PS2 version.

The scouting that takes place throughout the year sucks. You really can't base your decision to scout one particular player over another. The "potential" factor is the only thing you can really base any educated picks on in the 1st and 2nd round. It's so hard to find those "gems" in the later rounds. And it's not like those scouting assessments change as the year goes by, so what's is the point? It also doesn't help that you don't see players side-by-side and you can sort if out by who has the fastest 40, cone, strength, jump height, etc.

On to the FA. When you give a player an offer, you can't see another team's offer unless you throw crazy money at the player. In the old Maddens, you saw which top 3 were interested and in what position you were with the amount of money to offer.

Then, on to the Draft. You don't do a combine or personal practices with anybody. I went ahead thinking I was about to do certain exercises with some players I scouted, and BAM! The computer was already on the 4th pick. You have no time to see how the Draft pans out and basically force you to take BPA. I ended up picking up a RG (cause Moore sucked for me) with my 1st pick at 28th and saved it and have yet to finish my Draft.

Anybody else out there think the new Madden off-season is just plain horrible?

I used to enjoy the off-season a lot. I would plan everything by how the Draft would unfold and trading up, down, depending on players I could key on. But this one really blows. I think I'm just going to stick with playing online.

11. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

I set a record for interceptions with Lowery (8) while blowing out the Pats 80-something to 28 on All-Pro! Can you say... BEAST!??!?

And that's without Brett!

12. jetsaholic1094

8 picks in 1 game, or 1 season? But yeah, Lowery is a beast...3 games into my franchise mode, and he's already got 3 picks. He shoulda had more, but a couple ricocheted right off his chest.

I know I'm late to the party, but here's my initial impressions so far:

- I haven't played since '05, so I thought I'd be a little rusty. That Madden Test was a great primer to get myself back into it. Passing and running both ended up as All-Madden, run defending went to All-Pro, and my pass defense is ASS. I can't get pressure the QB or cover WRs if my life depended on it. My first effort was rookie, but then I retook it to get pro. Pathetic.

- My first game was brutal against the Fins. I won 14-12, but Pennington (a Fin now, thanks to the roster update) threw a TD pass as time expired to set up a potential tie. Luckily, they didn't convert the 2-pts. I thought the rest of the games were gonna be tough like this, but then I blew out the Pats 35-3 and the Chargers 24-7 (they scored a TD with like a minute to go in the game, damnit...I wanted that shutout).

- I cannot run the ball AT ALL. I think TJ is averaging like 2 yards a carry. I would play out of frickin' goalline package and run against a 3-4 and STILL get hit behind the line. My game goes as my passing game goes, and fortunately, Favre is awesome (10 TDs in 3 games, and 3 picks). I really should've thrown more picks though...there were a lot of close calls.

- I cannot pressure the QB at all, either. I almost got a sack with Ellis, but I haven't even been close since. My only role of competence on this defense is the LB position, where I just hunt down the RB. That's about all I'm good for.

- The Chargers have a ridiculous secondary. Cromartie picked me off twice, both times I had him in single coverage and lead the receiver with the pass. He's got wicked recovery speed.

- I want to use Keller more, but he keeps dropping the damn ball. Coles and Cotchery are ridiculously good.

#212 jetsaholic1094, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  13. jetsaholic1094

Well, I loss my first game on franchise mode (didn't think it'd be to the Raiders of all teams). Is it just me, or is JeMarcus Russell insane in this game? He went 18-22 for like 230 yards and 2 TDs. He even threaded a needle into TRIPLE coverage...I seriously had no way of stopping him.

Also, I noticed that after I maxed out the "pass offense" difficulty by letting Favre abuse the Bengals' DBs, things didn't really get harder next week against Oakland...just cheaper. My receivers drop balls that hit 'em square in the chest while open and CBs make ridiculous picks (I threw 4 with Favre, 2 of 'em were stupid mistakes, and the other 2 were to single coverage/open WRs which somehow the CBs took away instead).

14. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

i just beat some douche Pats fan who pretended to be the Raiders, then switched to the pats in less then a half second just to fake me out. He must have thought I would have played with a better team if he were the Pats.

Anyway, on to the game. He was beating me 24-14, I adjusted my D and decided to go goalline to stop the run. 2 Possesions in a row and I held out. Score the tying TD with 1 minute. Held him again. I kneeled on the ball with 15 seconds left at my own 4. He won the toss...drove all the way to my 35 not only to have Revis step in front of an errant, and very weak pass to moss. Took it to the 40. Ran a screen to Coles for 25 yards. Then ran it twice to no success. Split all 5 wideouts, rolled out and found a wide open Stuckey at the 15 and ran it out with 25 seconds left in OT. FG FTW!!!!

Fuck Pats fans. They even attempt to be shady in Madden Video Games....lame. Not like it mattered.

15. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I went 28 unanswered points against some tool who made two lucky plays and trash talked me up 14-0.

16. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

thats always good. I just keep my mouth shut and let them talk themselves into a corner..

17. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I just lost to some weak little oakland faggot, all bc I was drinking....

18. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

8 Picks In One Game!

19. jetsaholic1094

Holy crap, that's amazing. Gimme some details...how long were the quarters? Were you using Lowery yourself, or did you leave it up to the AI? Also, were you getting these picks out of a specific defensive play or against an opponent's specific offensive set or a combo of both?

20. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

I recorded like 4 of them myself; playing 5 minute quarters...
    I don't remember what plays I called specifically, but I remember lots of zone coverage...
    The Pats never ran the ball, so I alternated between Jenkins and Lowery...
    I also got 3 picks with Rhodes the next game...
    It sent my pass defense skyrocketing! My Madden IQ is like 650!

I didn't get the online update, so I was kinda stuck with the roster as it was, with Penny. I traded Penny, signed Tim Rattay for one season, simmed through it, finished 6-10, drafted a QB in the first round and went to the SUPERBOWLL!
    I traded Coles for Calvin Johnson straight up, too. Oh and Thomas Jones for Devin Hester and a pick.