Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I understand your point but you can’t convince me that letting a guy you think is not the right for the job do the job a little longer is a good idea. With the money he had to spend and the quality pick he had to use he could set the franchise back years with the wrong moves. The fact that you let him run one more draft and free agency means your ok with burning another year. I can’t get on board with that. Not where we are right now.

BacktoQueens and Attackett like this.
  2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I agree with some of this but we were no place close to the summit. We're in the parking lot with a bunch of intriguing new toys that we're all hoping a new CS can get to gel as a team

Macc was a blind guide. Think about all the LBs he's missed on. Jordan Jenkins at least makes it on the field; the rest???

One year he invests a 1st rounder on a fast surf ILB; the next couple of years he's looking for beef.

MOst of his picks are out of football (pause on that), and the others haven't played yet. This was supposed to be his forte'

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

One of the problems is we lack the info on everything that transpired up and through the draft. We know from multiple reports that Gase was unhappy with how the massive resources we had entering this off season were spent. Johnson then has to look at is as "what the hell is Mac doing not getting the type of players his hand picked coach wants". That is a terrible optic for the GM that has not been winning football games. We also don't know about the type of offers they had on the table at the draft. Reports are that Gase wanted to move down to have more picks to address the offense (go figure) but Mac couldn't or wouldn't get the job done (possibly because the only picks he is decent with are top ten picks).

A ton of transactions transpired between the hiring of Gase and the firing of Mac. It was most likely Gase's review off Mac's off season that was the final death blow to his job at the helm of the Jets. The timing makes perfect sense. In essence he got canned after hiring someone whom he had to work with and then went out and did his own thing instead of supplying the coach with what he thought he needed to win.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. chandler

there are other sources that are consistent with this and even more scientific comparing the exact slots where Macc picked with other years picks at the same slot. Was ugly and not cherry picking anecdotes but assessing every pick (actually for every team). I'll see if i can find that and post a link

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I've said several times his rounds 2-4 have killed this team. Its no supprise he's way below league average. That round 2 stat alone should get someone fired.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

To me, this sounds like the last person that talks to CJ gets what he wants. Now to be clear, I am not questioning the decision. I am more worried about the way the landed here. Seems very sloppy. But it won’t matter if Sam is what he is billed to be.

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Firing Macc was the right decision given the number of draft picks he has missed on. My concern now, as I've stated before, is that Gase has too much power for someone with no track record to justify it.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Are we sure what kind of power Gase has? He’s only the interim GM because no one else is currently qualified.

The new GM will have roster control from what’s being reported.

ColoradoContrails and chandler like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the new GM, if/when there is a new GM, will be hand selected by Adam Gase though. picking your own "boss" is a lot of power

Ralebird likes this.
  11. chandler

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I agree that it looks sloppy at first glance, but everything thats come out about Mac in the last couple days, it makes more and more sense. For a GM to be locked in his office doing nothing but watching NCAA tape is not his job. That is what a scout does. He stayed distant and aloof from the people he was supposed to be leading, letting Heimerdinger take care of most of what were supposed to be his responsibilities (remember who actually secured the trade up to #3, it was not Mac but Heimerdinger who worked out the details with the colts).
    the picture painted of Mac is a guy who the job was really too much for. He wanted to be a scout that has final say and the GM is much more than that.

13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The GM is not the "boss" of the coach under the Jets structure. The GM acquires players, the coach runs the team. Gase is Helping pick who will get him the type of players he wants.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I laid it out in a previous post as I saw it, not going to repeat it because now that I've had some time to think about it, I don't mind so much anymore. I just question the timing. I feel his recent moves to upgrade the team will bring positive results on the field. Feel he was rewarded for all the terrible moves he made by not getting fired; and getting fired after making a lot of positive moves. Doesn't seem right, but that's the Jets for you. Also question handing the reins of the team over to Gase, a guy who hasn't proven himself as a coach much less a GM. But again, it's the Jets.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

We didn't fire the coach, we fired the GM, and for a GM, there season ends after the draft so now was the perfect time to fire him. Yes, he should have been fired with Bowles, but that's history. The owner was hoping they would work well together but that was not the case and it was to late to do anything because FA and the draft were approaching. So he waited until the GM's 2019 off season was basically over and made the move. I don't know any Jet fan that thought Mac did a good job in the draft or free agency so bottom line is we got rid of our crappy GM just in time for the new guy, along with Gase to get ready for the 2019 college scouting and FA for 2020. The media has never liked the Gase hiring so its open season on him but really the owner had to choose between the GM and coach and picked the coach. Let them find a GM who is aligned with Gase and get this ship moving. Who cares who has the power, who cares what the rumors are about Bell and Mosely. Gase can just deny, there's no tape. And in the end, the players dont' care because they got paid and Gase and Williams will make those 2 the focal point of there respective units. Do you think the players give a shit about who's the GM? The media hates Gase and loves to mock the Owner. To me, it took balls to make this move knowing it would be mocked but I like that the owner did what he thought was right instead of worrying what would be said. Now we just got to get the right GM and its all good.

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

After sleeping on it and reviewing Macc's tenure here, I've come around and don't object so much anymore. Please read my reply to NCJetsfan:

I laid it out in a previous post as I saw it, not going to repeat it because now that I've had some time to think about it, I don't mind so much anymore. I just question the timing. I feel his recent moves to upgrade the team will bring positive results on the field. Feel he was rewarded for all the terrible moves he made by not getting fired; and getting fired after making a lot of positive moves. Doesn't seem right, but that's the Jets for you. Also question handing the reins of the team over to Gase, a guy who hasn't proven himself as a coach much less a GM. But again, it's the Jets.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Perhaps other people should look to do the same. They can learn a lot from you.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It’s astounding how little that guy chooses to follow along with the news. And what’s alarming is this whole “structure“ thing has been the topic of conversation for years now.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Now somebody said the complete opposite to that on here the other day, they said Mac wanted to slide but Gase wanted a top D prospect.

So where does that leave us on the who is the correct source front?

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well I think it's clear based on what has transpired in the last couple months and even the years prior that the Jets structure is very much the wrong structure.

Having said that, I understand that's a separate discussion from your point. However, IF Gase is picking the GM, I don't care how the structure is set up, he is clearly the most powerful Jets employee. I suspect he likes it that way...