Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

You may not have liked the plan, and hell, there were a lot of parts of the plan that I didn't like as well, but you can't say he didn't have a plan. Also, there is no doubt that he made mistakes in drafting and signing (what GM doesn't make mistakes.) So now, just at the point where the "plan" starts to come together, where everyone can plainly see where he's taking this team, with just about everybody optimistic that a winning season is ahead, his legs are cut from under him. The fact that he didn't win is immaterial because losing was part of his plan. Therefore, if the Johnson's were not all in on his plan, why didn't they fire him two or three years ago? It's like a bunch of mountain climbers who are forced to abandon the summit just before reaching it. Yes, it was hard getting this far with Maccagnan, but going back to base camp is worse which is where Gase is taking us. Now, we have no idea if we'll ever glimpse the summit again. Forging ahead would have been risky too, but after 4 years of suffering, it was worth the risk to see if Maccagnan's plan plays out.

Attackett likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I can see your logic, but I firmly believe that Macc wasn't the right "guide" to get us to the summit. Sure, he got us to the last camp before the peak, but it was arduous and there were casualties, meaning that it wasn't a sure thing that he could reach the top. Sometimes the smartest move is to retreat and try another day, not to keep throwing good money after bad. I guess we're on opposite sides this time.

3. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

What's Gase's claim to fame? A losing head coaching record in Miami? The last time the Fins won a title, he wasn't even born. Looks like he will continue the same legacy with the Jets.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why can't we? I saw no evidence of a plan. He didn't systematically go about fixing anything in the draft and FA. It was all more or less random. Taking the "BPA" more or less at the same position (except Lee and Sam). He didn't even target a specific QB. He didn't think Sam would be there, and he was just going to take the QB who was left if the Browns and Giants both took QBs.

How is the plan coming together? Sorry, I don't see this at all. Just because he's added a bunch of talent, doesn't mean that there will be good chemistry and that the team will win. If you see the plan, please lay it out for the rest of us, because I know I'm not the only one who doesn't see any plan.

Sorry, I respectfully, but totally disagree with you. If losing was part of his plan, then he should have been fired years ago. I could see "tanking" for one year to get a QB, but not over a 3-4 year period.

#724 NCJetsfan, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Wanna keep trying this with me?

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Houston Texans were firing Maccagnan right before we hired him

Can’t make this shit up.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Given some time to digest this, yes you're right as it gives an incoming new GM sufficient time to prep for both a season and the draft and free agency. It's not the typical Black Monday January crunch to the draft where often times a new GM has to work with the old scouting department and then awkwardly fire them (and maybe keep a few he likes) after the draft concludes. I've spoken to a scout who's gone through this and it's pure hell. On one hand you don't want to uproot your wife and kids...you want to impress the new GM in hopes that he keeps you. You also know that it may not matter you could pick the a guy who turns into the next Brady in round 6...you're getting fired anyway. Just the nature of the beast

Connecting the dots I do think that perhaps Gase reached out to Douglas...or Douglas to Gase and they talked things over and Douglas (who is extremely well regarded in NFL circles) signaled that if Mac could be pushed out then he's ready to make the jump to the Jets. You have Mac who moves at a glacial pace. Who's had more downs than up. Who's indecisive and kind of meek. He scored a big prize in Darnold but has whiffed on an awful lot. Gase presents this to Woody. You get me and you get maybe the most coveted up and coming GM in football...go for it.

But they'd better seal the deal on Douglas.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's refreshing to have someone admit they might've been wrong, or reacted hastily. I'm not trying to rub your nose in it at all, I genuinely appreciate someone who can step back from a previous position and re-evaluate, even changing their mind. Most people stick with their first impulse and defend it to the end. It's natural, we all do it, but at some point when reality keeps colliding with your belief, changing your belief is the wiser course. Thanks for your reconsideration.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Right you are. Ignorant interlopers. Only Jets fans know the true depth of the disfunction.

All Gas No Shake and legler82 like this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

And the pain, don't ever forget the damned pain.

All Gas No Shake and Red Menace like this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

As more of a Mac fan than not those figures if correct and not doctored are quite damning :(

13. Ralebird

Before he gets to prove those things he needs to prove he can coach a winner. Get back to us when he comes up with a winning record.

14. Ralebird

Creamed corn, huh? Trying to be a regular guy?

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Gase doesn’t want player personnel control, he just doesn’t want Macc in charge of it.

He needs a guy he trusts to get him the team he needs.

Same way he wanted a DC he trusts to run our defense so he can focus on Sam.

ColoradoContrails and chandler like this.
  16. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Bowles sat back and was quiet while Macc did the bare minimum in improving this team. Gase is not gonna make the same mistake.

ColoradoContrails and chandler like this.
  17. Ralebird

While that description certainly would fit the guy I'd want as the head coach, I fail to see how Adam Gase is so defined.

I really don't want to revisit the "best offensive mind" nonsense and the "highly respected" sobriquet was used for every bum this team has hired in the last fifty years, some of whom actually had a record of accomplishment.

18. Ralebird

The bar is low.

K'OB likes this.
  19. Ralebird

In the General Manager category the only things we know for sure are:

Mike MacCagnan was the "devil you know."

Adam Gase is the "devil you don't know." If he is replaced...

...the guy Gase will have input on hiring will be the next "devil you don't know."

20. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

guess he didnt see "eye to eye" with adam gase

K'OB likes this.