Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Or he has a track record of terribly mismanaging the running game as a head coach and personnel guy. Just ask the Dolphins who traded away Ajayi at Gase's request and then made Frank Gore the lead back over the young and talented Kenyan Drake.

Everyone should be terrified of this Gase/Bell news.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

My fucking god man, how many times do you need to be told?

5-11 was the 10-6 team failing and then the other two years REBUILDING, I don't believe you are this stupid not to be able to understand this, not many GM's manage a winning record while the squad is weak as fuck or are you seriously so damned deluded that you expected winning seasons this last two years.

As for the not good enough for most of us comment lol yeah the site win/loss predictor wasn't overly heavy in the win column was it, it seems only you and 3 others may have predicted a winning season out of a squad that had had all its vets cut and was blatantly going on a full scale youth overdrive, but don't let that fucking FACT get in the way of your joyous day.

As for Mac I can take him or leave him but what I can't stand is comments like yours which are so disingenuous that I feel compelled to quote you and reply but I am sure I have told you this in other threads before, not that it stops you repeating the same stupid comments over and over again.

So like I said you have your wish and now you can delete your copy and paste script and get some new material.

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Broadway, am going to let this play out before passing judgement but from the get-go was not very amped over the Gase hiring to begin with. . Also, is this guy a bug-eyed version of Jim Harbaugh when it comes to dealing with owners? . Looks like Jim from "Taxi."

[​IMG]

#623 joe, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    jilozzo and FlaJet like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

3 good reasons to fire Mike Macagnan:

1. He prioritized defensive players in free agency and the draft despite having a young franchise QB in development.

2. His big free agent acquisition on offense has seemed aloof and has been unavailable to the team during a critical period for the new coaching staff.

3. The offensive line and the WR’s are mediocre without a single top flight player in the mix. This despite the aforementioned franchise QB in waiting.

Now throw in the HC/GM dynamic, likely based on all of the above and cutting the cord seems like a reasonable damage control move.

Just my opinion.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He took over a 4 and 12 team and loaded up with lots FA's. The team didn't make the playoffs. That was Mac's decision. He set the team rebuild back 1 year. So yes it was a two year rebuild because Mac totally screwed up and went for the big year and failed.

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

To me, 3 is the only fair criticism and it's a VERY fair criticism. That's because of four years of bad drafting. That's enough to get someone fired.

Points 1 and 2 in my opinion are purely subjective opinions that shouldn't contribute to whether or not a guy gets fired. He traded for Osemele, signed one of the best RBs in the league and signed the best slot WR available. He didn't prioritize defense in free agency at all. And in terms of the draft... he took the best player available who might be the best player in the draft at 3 and there were no offensive options that made logical sense anywhere in the vicinity after that. Addressed the edge in round 3 as well with Polite. If you didn't like it, that's fine, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Bell hasn't seemed aloof in the slightest and a few days of throwing against air in street clothes is hardly a critical period for a new coaching staff. However the first week where they had meetings all day and night... Bell was there. And he'll be there in the second most critical week, June OTAs.

FJF likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

It just occurred to me after all these reports about Gase not wanting to spend money on a center... he wasn't saying he has confidence in Harrison because Harrison has looked good, he's saying it because he doesn't think you need a good center.

This guy is the drizzling shits already and we aren't even at OTAs.

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

This is a move that should've happened 6 months ago. I think Johnson was so blinded by how bad the team and Bowles were that he overlooked Macagnan. He saw the same thing happening the past few months and said how is this happening again and realized it was Macagnan. Maybe Gase did a powerplay (probably), maybe Johnson realized Mac was the problem and he had to go. It definitely shows Johnson made a mistake 6 months ago. Optics it looks bad but in the grand scheme it's May. A game hasn't been played. It looks like we added nice pieces this offseason. It doesn't look good but we'll only see it in September when this team plays and if Darnold improves.

Beyond Darnold, Adams, and the trades of Brandon Marshall, Henry Anderson, Sheldon Richardson and Teddy Bridgewater what do the Jets have to show from Mac. It was time. Unfortnately Johnson realized this too late.

For an inside look of what happened and why he was let go listen to Tony Pauline Bleav podcast about 16 minutes into why and Michael Lombardi GM Shuffle about ten minutes. It'll help you understand the reasons why and maybe help you realize that maybe it wasn't a powerplay and more of Mac's own ineptitude.

I wish fans could ask for refunds of the ineptitude of the orginization. Maybe the Jets should ask Korn/Ferry and Wolf and Casserly for refunds recommending inept people.

9. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

well at least we got Bell before Führer Gase took control

I think the Duhlphins sent him here on purpose as an evil ploy

FlaJet likes this.
  10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Not only that, but what else can we conclude but that Jet ownership was OK with Maccagnan's plan to rebuild the Jets from day 1.

- Purge the veteran roster
    - Tank a season for a high draft choice
    - Draft franchise QB
    - Rebuild roster with quality draft choices

Granted I did not always agree with this plan and Macc got lucky on a number of occasions but it was a plan. Now that "the plan" was beginning to show some fruit.....BAM! the rug gets pulled from him and the Jets are back to square one. Now the Jets are between a rock and a hard spot. If they suck this year, given the talent Macc put together, we can only conclude that Gase must be a terrible coach. If they win, much of the credit will have to go to the man they fired.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Actual footage of Gase showing up to work today
    [​IMG]

#631 FJF, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  12. BroadwayAaron

I don't agree with the timing of this move but I do wonder what people think the offseason plan should have been. I mean we ended up with the best RB, an elite LB, the best slot WR on the market and he upgraded the OL via trade. Should the plan have been different?

I guess you can argue that the next GM should have been the one to decide what the best course of action should have been but honestly, if their preferred course didn't involve making the BIG upgrades we made, they probably shouldn't be a GM. Kind of like Adam Gase.

13. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Defense 1st round is gone

14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

In a vacuum, I dont hate any of these moves. Obviously, the timing is idiotic, and it shows the Jets arent the most well run team ever.

I would have canned Mac at the end of the year, along with Bowles. I've said a bunch of times how dumb it would be to keep Mac (unless they were going to keep him for 2-3 more years). Bring in a GM and let him hire his own coach. It's easy.

Mac wanted a 5th for Lee, Gase took a 6th. He took slightly less value to get rid of a guy they didnt want here. I'm OK with that.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I will dispute it was Macs decision like I would dispute it was Macs decision to sign Revis and then Fitz the 2nd time around, I would lay the blame for that at the owner's door.

But the 10-6 year I don't count as a rebuild, he put a team together of ageing vets at the behest of a win now owner and yes he didn't make the playoffs and we have Fitz to thank for that, the bottling bearded cunt.

The last two years when we loaded up with more youthful players, that is rebuilding a franchise in my book.

I do agree with you that it should have been done in year 1 but again go and knock on the powder puff brothers door for those answers.

But the point of blaming him for a losing season when nobody gave us a cat in hells chance of winning many games is just plain dumb, we won way too many games for a rebuilding team as it was.

FlaJet and westiedog1 like this.
  16. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

That was on orders from Woody.

stinkyB likes this.
  17. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I predicted problems and told Rich Cimini, Gary Myers, and the Post's Paul Schwartz as such a month ago. I said that the Jets should have extended MM BEFORE the season started.

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

theres hope for you .....there really is :)

19. BroadwayAaron

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/16/n...mmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

I trust Breer WAY more than Manish. This certainly paints a different story, especially when it comes to Mosley.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

To be fair...DWC is much better at cheerleading our future than he is at contextualizing our present situation.

That's why he's never wrong...until he is. :confused:

ColoradoContrails, stinkyB and FJF like this.