Maccagnan is Fired!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, May 15, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree, consultants just hire their friends. Its a waste of money and it never has anything to do with performance, just personal relationship

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Agreed, whoever comes in will be in a good position. Even though we spent a lot of money, we won't be in cap hell and its possible we have our QB and pass rushing options all under contract for several years.

We've seen the best of Mac already, it wasn't going to get any better. If we are all in on Gase, better off making sure we have the right pieces upstairs. The only thing I am worried about is Mac and Manish talking shit on our best offensive player and one of our new leaders in Mosley. Gase has to bring in those guys right away and ensure they are part of the plan.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Mosley can play any scheme, I'm not sure those other guys you named could do that.
    That versatility bumps up his value quite a bit, and I'd think effect any attempt at ranking or comparing him to others at the position.

But regardless if you think he is 2nd best in league, or 5th best in league, he's an elite player at the position and a good signing.
    He's also the type of player that can help set a culture in the right way.......and that culture is getting undercut already.
    If I were him, I'd be pissed at myself for not staying in Balt.

4. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

There's really only one explanation for this, and that's that Mac and Gase didn't get along. And that means that Gase was allowed to come in here and be top dawg. The fact that they didn't just do this the right way and clean house has put them at an enormous disadvantage to find a worthy replacement, and also has put a gigantic target on Gase's back.

Never thought I'd say this: Woody come home! Your bro is a clown.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

You mean the guy who forced an awkward pairing of Rex and Idzik?

same shit... different day.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'll be open minded and see if the new GM, whether it's Douglas or someone else, has a plan to build the roster beyond going BPA in the draft. I've seen that there are quite a few GM's who got fired after the draft, so I'm convinced that it's not unusual.

7. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

They didn't get along on personnel decisions. If Gase was allowed to be top "dawg," our offseason would have looked much different.

8. BacktoQueens

If you expect a GM to chase needs over talent in the first round of draft, you'll continue to be disappointed.

9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Texts between me and my rabid Jets fan friend, Vinnie:

Me: Maccagnan fired.
    Vinnie: This is at least the 10th text that I've gotten.
    Me: Hahaha. Charley Casserly, how did that work out?
    Vinnie: I would like one month annually that this franchise doesn't aggravate me.
    Me: A is for agita. I don't necessarily disagree with the firing, but now?
    Vinnie: : Exactly, should have gotten rid of them both at the same time. Still not sold on Gase, where is the proof of life. Not sold unless he's trying to hypnotize me and now he's the interim GM? Based on what he did in Miami? It's the Jets, man, why have Maccagnan navigate the draft and FA if you're gonna can him right after the draft? Typical pain. Let's go Rangers.
    Me: Drop the puck.

10. BacktoQueens

Now that Johnson has increased Gase's authority, how long do you think Gregg Williams will last at DC?

Honesty, I'd rather fire Gase now, bring in someone else, but retain Williams, Boyer and Pollack.

Section 336 likes this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This is another important aspect with all of this, and it's disgusting. This doesn't bode well, how people can't see this, is beyond me.

I couldn't agree with you more on this.

TonyFtLaud and BacktoQueens like this.
  12. jetophile

The Jets and mojo, which one these things does not belong with the other. o_O

13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I would rather they had just hired Williams as our new HC.
    Only the Jets...

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Peyton Manning for GM!

Get it done.

15. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Let's be honest here. 3/4 of the league doesn't have the Johnson's steering the ship. If anything, today's decision should demonstrate their severe inability to successfully run a franchise. There are certain franchises where the owners should have 0 involvement in the day-to-days, the Jets are high on that list.

However, if we're talking about "3/4 of the league". Does the rest of the league fire their HC in January, only to keep their GM to hire a new HC, GM maintains control of the roster, spends $100 million in free agency, and then runs an entire draft - before firing them in May? 3/4 of the league would have gotten rid of both the HC/GM in January and filled the spots at the same time.

Chris Johnson isn't some kind of savant that figured out a revolutionary way to hire a GM, and he certainly shouldn't be the guy in charge of a front office. So let me ask you this. If you took Chris Johnson out of the equation and replaced him with a football guy like Ozzie Newsome - which is better in your opinion?

(For the record, I wanted Mac fired in January too. So I'm not some Mac homer.)

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

In a vacuum I dont really care about Mac not being here. I was one of the first off the Mac bandwagon a couple years ago.

Having said that, this just reeks of "Same Old Jets"

When Bowles was fired I thought it was idiotic to keep Mac. Once you let Mac hire his own coach, you need to guarantee him more time or else you get another Idzik/Rex abomination.

Now any GM that gets hired has to take Adam Gase instead of getting to choose his own guy. How many accomplished GMs are going to do that? I would think not many. This guy from the Eagles seems legit, and I'll be excited if we get him, but the Jets havent earned my trust yet.

They just dont seem to understand how a properly run organization works.

HomeoftheJets and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

tomdeb likes this.
  18. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

who cares?

PabloJa and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. jetophile

VP of Player Personnel Brian Heimerdinger also got shown the door.

20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Maybe the timing is unusual for some to understand, but Mac was awful as a GM. I've been saying this for years. That Fitz magic season had people blaming everyone but him.

I think it's a smart decision. I think they knew he was gone after the draft. They just didn't do it immediately after

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk