Maccagnan’s Legacy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think an underrated pass in the grand scheme of Maccagnan was taking Jamal Adams over Christian McCaffrey as well. He obviously should've looked at Mahomes and Watson, but man. McCaffrey's 2018 season was pretty much his floor. And in the shotgun era of offense he was truly a transcendent talent coming out of college.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

That's fine--your choice. But I doubt that any GM in NFL history EVER downplayed the need for a quality OL more than Mike MacIdiot. He ran five drafts with the jets, and drafted a grand total of three, count "em three, offensive lineman in five years-- two of those were in round FIVE, the other in late round three. By comparison the Pats have AVERAGED two offensive linemen PER DRAFT the last four years. The talk of this offseason has been on how BAD the jets OL is and has been-- That is squarely on MacIdiot. Go back and watch his introductory press conference with the jets in 2015 wherein he announced that offensive line would be a low priority on draft day. He mumbled something about building a quality OL with low round picks and free agents. Worked out good right? You can have him, but I don't think Mike MacCagnan understands basic football, as I explained in my earlier post. Oh, that's right, you didn't read past the first sentence.

Vida, NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Nice post. For whatever it is worth, I wanted the jets to take Gabe Jackson in the SECOND round in 2014, and the jets took TE Amaro instead. I was thrilled when Jackson was still there in round three, and I foolishly believed Idzik would grab him--instead he selects Dexter McDougle (WTF????). The very next pick the Raiders scoop up Jackson. NFL.com had Jackson rated the 30th best player in whole draft that year, and McDougle as the 242nd best that year. What the hell was Idzik thinking?

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i am not sure any jet GM can claim legacy status, in a good way.

FJF likes this.
  5. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

Thank you- I am not the only one who thought these never made sense.

tomdeb likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

They do make sense if done right. But while most NFL franchises pickup valuable picks like an extra 5th for moving up in the 4th, Maccagnan was moving down 15 spots in the 4th for a conditional 7th.

If done correctly you can build a good special teams force and depth squad through draft capital acquired via these trades. He was too concerned with the lack of sugar in his coffee.

I wonder if Bill O'Brien told Maccagnan he was going to take Hackenberg in the second if we didn't or if Mikey figured a former coach would reach for the jag he coached in college all on his own.

NCJetsfan, tomdeb, Red Menace and 2 others like this.
  7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

This could be one of the best posts ever on this forum.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed. While no one can argue about Adams' ability and that he's lived up to his pre-draft billing, there is NO WAY a Safety is more important than a QB, or even an offensive weapon like McCaffrey. He was, and is, a luxury on a team as devoid of talent as the Jets. That doesn't mean he should be traded, but if a "can't refuse" package were offered for him they need to consider it.

Again, Macc should've been fired and sued for professional malpractice for passing over Mahomes and Watson when the needed a QB.

NCJetsfan, Brook!, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I’ve always wondered whether Tanny dealt draft picks for ageing players because he knew our scouting was terrible or whether he was just a very short term GM.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. NFLDayspast

I always assumed it was to keep his job. It was clear he had no idea how to build a sustained winner. He couldn't be blind to his own draft failures. I think he wanted to create a style where built with veterans and put forth a competitive team every year. He failed miserably on this.

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

✓✓✓✓San Darnold.
    ✓✓✓✓Jamal Adams.
    Marcus Maye.
    Quinnen Williams.
    C.J Mosley.
    Jordan Jenkins (if resigns).
    Blessaun Austin (absolute steal).
    Le'Veon Bell.
    Robby Anderson (if resigns).
    Jamison Crowder.
    Chris Herndon.

Yes we're an O-Line, a couple of CBs and WR's away from becoming serious contender's moving forward but Maccagnan did land us two cornerstone players for our offense and defense in Sam Darnold as a Franchise QB and Jamal Adams as a potential HOF defensive leader.

That list above? Is our core right now. NY wins a SB with that core group of players and Maccagnan goes down as legendary.

Any fan who consideres him to be one of the worst is clueless. Look @ our roster before and after Maccagnan. He failed with O-Line but he did a hell of a roster turnaround.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think he thought we needed a QB as Hack was the future of the franchise. :eek:

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Darnold: Below average QB, may become above average
    Adams: Elite safety
    Maye: Decent safety
    Q Williams: Ghost
    CJ Mosley: Injured
    Jenkins: Decent LB
    Austin: Potential steal
    Bell: Free agent megabust
    Anderson: UDFA steal, may or may not re-sign
    Crowder: What passes for a #1 receiver around these parts
    Herndon: Great 1st year, nonexistent 2nd year

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

So we're at least 9 players away from being serious contenders?

Seems do-able.

Maccagnan was an abomination.

NCJetsfan, FJF, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Sam Darnold is HOPEFULLY the FQB we've been looking for for decades but he hasn't proven it yet. Simply compare him to Mahomes and Watson to see the difference. I know you won't acknowledge this, but it doesn't change the facts.

Jamal Adams is great, but he makes less of an impact than Mahomes/Watson and the 3 high draft picks Macc burned because of his ineptitude.

C.J. Mosely could be great, but will he return at full strength and for how long? That money could've been used to upgrade the OL.

Blessaun Austin - if he remains healthy and continues to improve - will be a steal, but it's not like Macc found Kurt Warner and signed him. We'll see.

Le'Veon Bell COULD be great, IF Gase gets his panties untwisted and starts actually trying to utilize his unique abilities. As of now this is an "Incomplete".

Robby Anderson FINALLY showed some ability this year - coincidence that it's his "walk year"? - but he's still, at best, a #2 WR.

Jamison Crowder - good pick up, but again not a cornerstone piece.

Herndon - will he return? Can he stay healthy and play a full season?

This is a very shaky "foundation", and certainly doesn't support a claim that Macc was even mediocre. When you factor in his failures, he's among the worst of Jets GMs.

16. NFLDayspast

I don't think this is a good argument- there is not one GM that won't leave a team after 5 years and leave them with 11 good players. Another problem is it does not matter if that core helps win a SB- another GM with better moves would have had the Jets ready for the playoffs this year.

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

How can you say he'll may be become "above average" when he's never even had an offensive line?!? Darnold's potential is through the roof with a ceiling to become absolute greatness.

Oh yea. He's already above average despite no offensive line.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

13-3 or 14-2 next season? Personally I can’t decide.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. DefenseWinsChampionships

Joe Douglas has an easy job. Rebuild an O-Line. And then the team Maccagnan put together will contend outside of a couple of WRs and CBs. Unfortunately, Maccagnan's job wasn't so simple as he had to rebuild an entire roster of aging players with no QB due to a shitty Jets franchise. Joe Douglas will NEVER have to shuffle QB's like Fitz, McCown, Petty, Hack etc because Macc hand fed him Darnold.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

So, let me get this right - Douglas needs to rebuild an entire OL, add two stud WRs and CBs, and what you failed to mention, a stud pass rusher.

Yeah, no problem.:rolleyes:

Jonathan_Vilma and tomdeb like this.