Macc WTF?????

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 1, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Safety used to be a low-value position. With the NFL being a passing league now, it no longer is a low-value position.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'd love to see you say that to Leo's face.

FJF likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree. That said, I would've been very happy if they took him with the second pick AFTER they had taken Mahomes with the first pick. Having taken Adams though it was stupid to use that pick on another Safety when, as you say, we had so many other holes to fill.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Lame argument.

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Not to mention we went safety just a day earlier but yeah..... needed to ignore the offense!

6. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

You're right that it has increased in value. However; I don't think that if you were building a team from scratch that it would be a "building block" position. I would think that the premium positions would be...

QB
    LT
    Premier Edge Rusher
    CB

When the Jets picked 2 Safeties in a row, they had nobody elite at any of those positions.

7. ColoradoContrails

I would add premier RB/WR to that list, which the Jets also lacked. But I agree that's exactly where you start when you're trying to rebuild. You secure these positions first, you don't "stock up" on lower impact positions just because they're supposedly BPA. I know there are guys here who disagree, and believe BPA is the the gospel, but Macc has followed that strategy and how's that working out?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. I think you can substitute that CB w 2 plus safeties.Containment in modern nfl defense is paramount;Eliminating the big play. Additionally a significant portion of the modern nfl offense is dictated by the opposing safeties alignment & versatility.

Putting a consistent,versatile dominant top to a defense is a big time asset.If only the team had some pass rushers to really make those safeties hum.Ya know the 7 weeks a season Maye is healthy that is

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you. I was just trying to make the point that safety is now a pretty important position. The season before that draft, the Jets were getting killed deep. Mac's drafting safeties back to back was a knee-jerk reaction. I love Adams, but Mac should have taken Mahomes, and then taken Maye in the 2nd round.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. I include Bowles in the Adams vs Mahomes saga.He told palantonio before the draft he wanted Adams above any other player regardless of draft slot.

It was also reported that as soon as day 2 of that draft started(after already drafting adams of course) that Maye was tje player they had targeted.

Taking 2 safeties was their plan alll along. No way Bowles was gonna let the team get torched deep as bad as they had w pryor/gilchrist.

Offense be damned.What else is new?

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If Mahomes doesn't come with Reid, then you aren't going to get the same product on the field. I am absolutely happy with Adams and Darnold. I was very shocked with the Maye pick, I wouldn't have drafted him in RD2, I was hoping the Jets would take Joe Mixon with the 2nd round pick.

Going safety in the first round was the right move IMO. Especially when Darnold, Rosen were coming out the next year.

12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Cook, Kamara, somebody. Double dipping on the same position on defense, after drafting defense 80% of the time with premium picks in a decade is absolutely boneheaded. It’s like Mac was completely oblivious to the DL situation we were in.

13. 101GangGreen101

Yeah, I scratched my head at that one as well. Maye has been solid, but if they really needed another S, they should've done more work on an Eddie Jackson who was drafted a round or 2 later. Mac to me has a hard time setting up a draft board. Perhaps over-relies on his coaches to tell him what positions to address.

That's not what I want in a GM.

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Never mind we can maybe get Hunt now instead ;)

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, Hunt's a better thug anyway.

K'OB likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

Gotta fire Mac first :( ... easier said then done.

Baumeister likes this.
  17. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

And this is why this teams sucks. You must have some home grown talent to compete in this league and the Jets seriously lack that. I hope that they fire everybody and start with a fresh GM and new coaching staff. Believe me Cman you are not alone in being completed fed up with this shit year, after year, after year.............................................

18. K'OB

Yeah I am still undecided on Mac, is he being hamstrung by inept coaching not bringing on the talent he chooses in the draft, is he just a shit 2-7 draft picker and oddly good at 1 and UFA, his big money FA's are a little shoddy also and I don't include Revis who was forced on him and really Wilks who quit on payment and that is hard to predict.

It has to be 3 more years or sacked, hard choices.

19. 101GangGreen101

I don't trust Mac just as much as I don't trust Bowles. You know who wasn't forced on him?

Christian Hackenberg.

20. K'OB

True but still not sure if Hack's failures are down to our coaching staff at the end of the day, he looked as a freshman and collapsed under a shit coach and OL at senior, Mac probably thought putting him back under a pro system would be great for him, but all these rules about practice when you are sat redshirted for a year seem oddly counterproductive, well it seemed so for Hack anyway.

A huge failure and dumpster fire of a pick, along with the two WR's from last season, using the hindsight technique it is scary what we passed up to take these two, we even could have drafted Hunt who went a couple of places after Stewart, funny how that worked out I guess, Webb went the next pick and we now have him.
    Golladay went after Stewart but before Hansen, Connor also in between the two.

Pretty much could have stacked RB up for 8 seasons.

Maybe we should sack them both eh :)