Lowry was only weak pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Apr 27, 2008.

1. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Why do some people on this board think they know more about Lowry than the Jets coaching staff, GM, and scouts who I'm sure have done more research and watched more tape on him and than anybody here.

They picked him for a reason, stop bashing a player you have never seen play.

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I've been a huge Lowery fan. Lowery will most likely play Safety or Nickel in coverage. I trust Mangini that he will make good use of Lowery's skills.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

From the posts of yours that I have seen today you are the one who needs to shut the fuck up already.

Except for that sentence I have kept all of my posts civil today but you don't seem to have that problem. Just because the Jets front office deems a player to have a certain value does not make it so. Please tell me one source on this board or anywhere else that projected Dustin Keller to go in the first round. You can't because there weren't any. I agree that there was a reason that Keller went before those receivers, and that reason is the Jets reached. That's it pure an simple. Maybe he is the best receiver in the draft but no one else seemed to think so before they made the pick. I will give you fair value on Gholston and Lowerey but the other picks were reaches whether the front office thinks so or not.

Getting the pick back wasn't the point, reaching for Keller and passing up a better group of players to do so is the real problem. There is an element of luck to any draft but our FO took some risks and the result doesn't look to good right now.

I am just thankful that they finally got serious about free agency because this draft wasn't very good.

4. James Hasty

You haven't seen him play either so what are you bitching about?

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I've actually seen him play, in person...he's a ballhawk, and he's a damn good one.

Am I allowed to bitch now?

6. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Which group of players in your opinion are better then Keller?

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Who were the better players available? Please tell everyone.

8. James Hasty

I was talking to someone else. You obviously don't need my permission to keep bitching.

9. I dont know alot about him, and admittedly I thought he was a 4th round reach...but the first thought that came to mind when i read his scpouting report was Asante Samuel.

Samuel didnt have great timed speed, but was known for his athleticism and ball hawking skills in college.

We will see

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

For the record, I was never "bitching"...I was just defending these picks that you seem to think are all god awful.

11. James Hasty

Well, these six guys for sure. There are some other guys I would probably prefer as well.

32. Kenny Phillips S Miami
    34. Devin Thomas WR
    35. Brandon Flowers CB
    40. Tracy Porter CB
    52. Quenton Groves DE
    53. Limas Sweed WR

12. James Hasty

Sounds more like defending the FO except for maybe Keller who you seem to like.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Kenny Phillips is the only player that may have been worth passing on Dustin Keller for.

Quentin Groves was a non-factor because we picked Vernon Gholston at 6.

Tracy Porter was ranked as a mid-to-late second rounder.

Limas Sweed fell all the way to the bottom of Round 2, for good reasons, I'm sure.

Devin Thomas was passed over by many receiver-needy teams because he drops a lot of balls and he was a one-year wonder.

Once again, Dustin Keller was a highly ranked player, and he is arguably the best receiver in '08's draft class.

You're right about both of these: I do support the FO, and I do like Dustin Keller. Why, you ask? The FO knows more about personnel, and team needs then ANYONE on this board. I fully support all of their decisions. Keller was a surprising pick, but I love it. He's a beast, and he will help this passing game.

#33 Mr Electric, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  14. James Hasty

See, if Phillips was the pick we would both be happy.

By your logic Porter and Thomas were high second rounders because otherwise the FO of the saints and the skins wouldn't have taken them there.

Groves wasn't a need with Gholsten on our roster but if we had traded down we could have taken him. I won't quibble over the Gholsten pick but Groves will be a better pro than Keller so I did answer your question.

Limas Sweed injured his hand. If he had been healthy he would have gone higher. I am confident that Big Ben will make him look pretty good.

Also, I thought Keller was a TE. With this year's weak TE class perhaps he is the best one but as a WR he doesn't crack the top 3.

15. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

From NYT:
    Lowery transferred to San Jose State after two years at Cabrillo College, about 80 miles south of San Francisco. San Jose State discovered Lowery while scouting another player, then promptly switched him from safety to cornerback. That versatility, the ability to play multiple secondary positions and on special teams, impressed the Jets. But not as much as Lowery impressed San Jose State Coach Dick Tomey.

?I?m not sure I?ve ever been around a player who meant so much,? Tomey said in a telephone interview. ?From the minute he stepped on the field for us, he changed the attitude. He brought a sense of purpose that was lacking.?

Tomey has coached all over the country, including at Arizona, where Ravens cornerback Chris McAlister played in college. He said Lowery did not have McAlister?s speed, but called him a ?steal? and ?every bit as good a player.? He added that Lowery was the most serious athlete he ever coached.

16. JetsLookingforDWare

It sounds like Lowry has the "IT" factor. This pretty much makes him a lock.

17. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

Mangini and co. did a good job last year selecting in this department, its arguable between him and aaron ross for who was the best CB out of that class (and the giants won the superbowl).

The only thing which concerns me is that he is a Community College player. That could means he couldn't break 700 on the SATs to crack the clearing house and play immediately at a higher level. Then again that could point to him being a gem.

18. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Starting to really love this Lowery kid. He should step in and challenge for the starting FS job from the get go.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=apydtn_YL7g[/youtube]

20. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

A lot of you guys are retarded. Our coaching staff goes through months of scouting these kids, I think we can trust them to find a few good gems or at least pick the kids with the highest chance of becoming good players. This regime has done a much better job of scouting prospects then the Bradway/Edwards, and we should trust them when they move up to get a guy like Keller. Don't say that someone doesn't fit the system, I would hope that we're adjusting our offense and defense a little bit after the pitiful results last year. Not you, not I, not anyone should know what the plan going forward is inside of the organization.

Remember how everyone whined when we passed up on guys like Max Jean Gilles in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round 2 years ago? He's played in a grand total of 4 games over those 2 years, making 0 starts. Shit we should have picked up in round 2 and thrown him in at RG like all the mock drafts told us to.

#40 DonnieIsTheKing, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008