Loutish Fans Disgrace the NFL - NYJ reference

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Oct 16, 2007.

1. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I have never been to a Jets game in the Meadowlands, but I have in Oakland and San Francisco. The difference in fans between the two stadium is like night and day. 49ers come to game, do the tailgating thing,but once inside they act with a little more civility. I compare Raiders game to hanging out in biker bar. The fans are loud, boorish and in many times, fights break out. SERIOUS fights, where people are taken from the stadium in ambulance and handcuffs.

Look, when I go to a game, I don't expect the fans to act like gentlemen and ladies. But c'mon, there are kids in the stands and you should be able to go to the game in your teams gear, without being attacked. I remember a couple of years ago, when the Raiders were playing the Giants. There was this guy wearing a #80 Shockey jersey. The whole game, the Giant fan and a group of Raider fans were going back and forth, A couple of times, they invited him to fight. It was riduculous. It's not funny.

Just because you pay the price for a ticket, doesn't mean you come act like an ass.

2. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I am young, in college, but I've been going to games since I was about 8... Maybe that makes it easier for me to ignore?

I don't know, but I've learned by now that a Jet game isn't a place you bring people who are offended by crude behavior/language and belligerent drunks...

Sure, it'd be great if it was more of a friendly atmosphere, but it's not....

So for now, my take is, know what you're getting into when you purchase tickets to a game... Simple as that

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

No problem. I've been knowing what I'm getting into since 1985.

But you have no idea what it used to be like. If you think it's bad today, this isn't jack squat, just so you know. It's much better today than it was in the '80s. People used to openly do lines on the concrete spiral handrails that run between the tiers. I've seen Miami Dolphins JO's thrown from the Mezzanine... that's right, pushed over the rail. One landed on his back in the Lower Level. The medical personnel needed a pizza pallet to haul him out of the stadium.

But just as Security has tightened the rules, I suspect it'll tighten even more, and that makes me glad. No smoking now. More Security. Personal checks and pat-downs at the gates. No open bottles, nothing to throw. And when the new stadium gets built, they'll tighten even more.

So don't be disappointed when an old fart like me finally gets his way and can really enjoy a game without drunken assholes throwing stuff and starting fights without being charged and prosecuted for assault and battery. And wanting that doesn't make us "pussies," either. I'm a Vietnam Vet (Airborne) and have been bloody plenty of times, so I don't back off that even at my age. But it's that time in my life now where I want to enjoy the game, take my grandkids, you get the idea, so any time the Jets want to poll me and request input on this subject, I'm gonna tell them to shut it down.

For all I care, they can stop serving alcohol altogether at games! Then it'll be you complaining, "Hey (whine, whine, whine), I can't even buy a beer."

And it'll be me saying, "Hey f@ck it. If you don't like that, you don't have to go to the games. SIMPLE AS THAT!" Hahahahahahaaaaa.......

4. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I've heard stories from a lot of family members about how bad it used to be... Perhaps another reason why the games don't bother me too much...

But just because I don't really have a problem with what goes on at the games, that doesn't mean I'm one of those people who acts like that; don't get the wrong impression....

I'm too into the team to go and get drunk at the games.... That doesn't mean I can't tolerate those who do...

I totally understand where you're coming from, but I just don't see any use in complaining about it.... Online it doesn't do much, and at the games, it'll only make it worse.....

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Couldn't agree with you more. I used to go to 3 to 5 games a year without season tickets. Pretty much stopped because of the time commitment and the drunks.

A company I used to work with got us tickets to a Jersey Generals game at the Meadowlands back in the early 80's. That was like being in a prison yard with 50,000 felons watching the Guards against the Cons.

6. 3rdandlong

3rdandlong Member

I'm actually surprised that the nfl teams don't ask for more of a crackdown on the tailgating-thats where the excessive consumption occurs, and they haven't made a dime off of it.

7. 319-1-x4

319-1-x4 New Member

you really can`t win this argument here. People were complaining that Jets fans suck because most show up late, then leave early all the while during the game just sitting there not cheering. Yes, American football fans would be considered pussies pretty much to the rest of the worlds soccer fans.

Personally, I enjoy the really rowdy crowds. Hell, I was a part of the wacky Jets crowds from years ago(I was also 20 years younger). Problem these days is there is a 50/50 mix of old and new fans now. The old fans who use to be the wacky rowdy ones have since turned into what the old Giants fans were like and the new young Jets fans want to be as rowdy as they can(letting off some of that remaining adolescent steam all built up inside).

It`s NFL football(NFL = Not For Ladies). It should be a jungle in the stands. Thats what the twelfth man is all about.

What they should do for the new Giants Stadium(yes, it will always be Giants Stadium no matter what you people say/think), is to have family friendly/alcohol free sections like they do in Yankee Stadium. It will somewhat lessen the vulgarity/drunkeness exposure to kids.

I would love to bring my wife and kids to a Jets game(we`ve been to a few mostly pre-season). I simply tell my kids what they should expect to hear and see. They get a good laugh at the idiots who are cursing and more laughs at the idiots who can barely walk because they drank too much. I do not fear either of those types of fans. I will take care of matters myself if anyone would even come close to harming my family. There is enough security throughout to take care of a few incidents here and there anyway. Only thing I worry about is if something would take place like it did back in the late 80`s on that Monday Night vs Buffalo where the crowd was uncontrollable and people were torching the Campbell`s Soup promotional hats creating a nice little fire in the upper deck. That was insane. I enjoyed every minute of it but my wife was bit fearful even though we were in our 20`s at that time.

Curse words/vulgarity is the least of the problems we fans have to face. I would hope that those of you with younger kids are raising them well enough to understand that they shouldn`t use that sort of language or behave in that manner. It can be very helpful in raising kids. It`s nice when you have morons out there setting the examples of what a drunken foulmouthed idiot really looks like. I`m quite certain I myself have helped set that example to some kid over the years. No, I wasn`t foulmouthed but I was a rowdy fan for sometime. I`ve since grown out of that stage as most people eventually do.

Your kids will one day be old enough where curse words won`t mean much to them just like they don`t mean much to us now.

There are 3 words that are standard at football games.

Suck
    Shit
    Asshole

My kids know what those words mean. They have heard them before and I`m quite sure they use shit/asshole in their vocabulary already. As a matter of fact, I`ve caught them a few times using those words. Kids are kids. they`ll get over it.

#27 319-1-x4, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  8. allan1

allan1 Active Member

When you're a Jets fan, you have good reason to be loud, angry, and obscene. That's what the last 39 years have turned the fans into. It wouldn't make sense if he were talking about Steeler fans. What do they have to complain about?

The craziest fan bases are the one's who are most tortured

9. 3rdandlong

3rdandlong Member

319, thats all great but in reality every team is going to do what maximizes profit. why would they want you to go the game without your wife and kid when that means they'd fill 1/3 the number of seats and sell 1/3 the amount of food and novelties? It just makes sense for them to clean up the atmosphere from a business standpoint.

10. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

You should devestate them with a power clean upper cut to the jowls, thereby silencing all detractors and proving your dominance. This will serve to impress your nephew while at the same time making you feel HUGE and herculean.

Now there's a solution. Fight bad language with violence.

11. Elvis

Elvis Member

I have been going to Jet games for just about 20 years now. Obviously I've been fortunate to attend Jet games and I have always enjoyed the experience of attending a live sporting event. We have always thrown a 4 hour pregame tailgate starting with about 10 people and now it exceeds that considerably most weeks. Through all my years we drink, eat, BS, and listen to various types of music. To this day we have never had a problem with any other tailgaters, oh and by the way - we drink.

As we have made our way into the stadium, we were all very respectful of families that were attending the games. I had always thought of the day of bringing my kids not to mention some of our tailgaters from years back brought their kids. Now these kids are 20 something and they are all part of our tailgate.

That being said, its now my turn to introduce my son to the tailgate/Jets Football experience. My daughter is 12 and her interest in the games is mild compared to the excitement my son exudes when I mention Jet football. Until last Sunday, my son had only attended preseason games. He turned six this past Friday and I felt it was time to bring him to his first regular season game.

We arrived at 945 for our tailgate. We ate, he drank root beer and I drank real beer. Obviously with my six year old my consumption was limited.
    We played catch in the parking lot, he did the Jet chant on the megaphone, and told the Eagles fans - JETS RULE - EAGLES DROOL. The four Eagles fans near our tailgate were laughing, a good time was had by all.

At 1215, we proceeded into the game and that is where the fun started. Eagles fans loudly cursing at Jet fans, Jet fans responding with the same remarks at times louder. As we went to our seats in Sec 125, we stopped in the bathroom. My son definitely got an earful from that stall visit. After leaving the bathroom, we arrived at our seats. The usual pregame jawing was going on which was on the level. My son was yelling the Jets chant, really getting into it.

As the game proceeded and the Jets were losing, the crowd turned. I'm pretty used to that because well, I am a long time Jets fan. But this crowd was sinking to a new level. At around 10 minutes left in the third quarter, we heard screaming to our left. Two JETS fans are going at in the aisle rolling down the concrete steps. They stop, start screaming obscenities again, roll again and then the yellow jackets and state troopers take them away.

My son who is six, asks me why they were fighting. Now remember you are talking to a six year old little boy which is trying to learn the experience of taking in a football game. I responded that they were not very intelligent and the cops had to take them away because of bad behavior. He looked off and then started watching the game again.

We left the game at the beginning of the fourth for various reasons but the main one being, he had seen enough of the experience already. It was only going to get uglier.

As we drove home, I could only think what my sons response was going to be in Kindergarten on Monday to this question:

So Jimmy, what did you do and learn this weekend????

12. Section 227. Row 5

Nice post, Elvis, and a good example of what we're talking about. I see no reason why Mara and Woody wouldn't want to cater to more of a family atmosphere with the new stadium. This makes sense from a business standpoint also, as I'm sure many corporations will be entertaining business clients and professionals by providing them with game tickets.

While I mostly disagree with 319's points above, he mentions a terrific idea that I had not even thought about: alcohol-free sections like they have at Yankee Stadium.

They could designate some family-friendly sections by polling current ticketholders prior to passing out the new tickets. If they questioned them as to their preferences, they might be surprised in the response. Of course, it's a business too, so I'm sure they want the revenue from the sale of their $7 beers.

The other issue though (and the one that surprises me the most) is the amount of drunks leaving the parking lot and driving. In this day in age, you'd think somebody would get their head out of their ass and figure this isn't a good idea. It'll probably take some pretty horrific DWI-caused accidents for them to wake up and do something about the excessive alcohol consumption.

13. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

Well, nothing seemed to change after that 7 year old girl was paralyzed after being hit by a drunk driver while leaving the lot after a Giant game.

I can't imagine how much more horrific we have to get before something is done.

http://thesportsbizblog.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_archive.html

14. Section 227. Row 5

I hadn't realized it's been almost 3 years since that incident. The guy apparently tipped the server $10 to sell him 6 beers instead of the limit of 2.... real nice.

From my seats, I take the escalator down and leave the stadium at Gate C, where I jump on the service road on the south side of the stadium that leads east to the TNPK entrance.

The driving is aggressive and fast, to say the least, and you'd better have all your wits about you as you negotiate the lane changes, etc. It's difficult enough when you're sober so I can't imagine trying to avoid an accident when you're drunk. It always amazes me that there are not more accidents.

15. petekendall

petekendall New Member

mr. electric im not a child i am a 32 year old govt.. bond broker and have lived and worked in london and hong kong..all i am saying we should be thankfull that this is the only problem we have.. as fans in the us we do not deal with any of that nonsense and we should be thankful..if you think fans in the us get drunk then you have no idea what happens on the other side of the pond...i am a season ticket holder....i go to every game and i would bring my son to the games and not have a propblem...his exposure to vilonce and profanity is not going to start at jets games..have you watched mtv lately .. if you dont feel comfortable going to games with your children then dont! but dont come here bitching about it..its not going to do change anything..

16. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

I think your dead on, hell you see some of this stuff on this message board. I read some posts and I am like, are these people serious or just trying to get a rise out of someone. Jets fans can be compared to that wife you have been married to forever that you can't stand but can't leave either, so you just try to make the best of it, i.e. booze lol.

17. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

that's the attitude Kendall - don't bitch about it, nothing will change. Ever wonder how our goverment got into the situation it's in now? Same attitude!

We are the ONLY ones who can do anything about it. We all as Jet fans need to take responsibility for our own behaviour, and demand a crackdown on crackheads...

18. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

How a bout a good soccer riot, maybe that will be something to write about!. Maybe a story about out of state cops arresting you because your team beat them and your fighting your way out of hostile territory trying to make it to your car before your knocked unconscious by punches from all around you!

19. Greatful Jethead

Greatful Jethead New Member

Heres my story. I was at a Jet Miami game one time back at Shea and I paid 100 bucks for the seats I was in, which was a lot back then. Well I was pretty pumped for the game and got to my seat with a moderate buzz. When who comes and sits next to me but an elderly couple with there grandchildren all wearing Dolphin Jerseys. I thought great this is gonna inhibit my screaming. I turned to the gentleman and told him that I wanted to apologize upfront if I was gonna be to loud during the game. But I am a Jet fanatic who paid plenty for the seats and I was gonna enjoy the game. I also told him there would be no profanity , but I would be loud. He told me he understood. Well I was glad we got that settled.. When game time rolled around and I was good and primed you know what that rat bastard Fin Fan did to ruin the game......He tapped me on the shoulder and gave me 2 beers and 2 hot dogs and said enjoy the game. Everytime I went to yell I would look at him and his kids and bite my lip. Nothin wrong with yelling and cheering your team on and havin a few beers...No need for the profanity and utter drunkeness. Save that for the Philly fans.

20. 319-1-x4

319-1-x4 New Member

It`s a catch 22. The NFL wants families, the vendors want drinkers. Only thing to do is to designate sections for families. Will it hurt the vendors? Surely it will. But it is a small price to pay to try to get everyone into the game.

My views are a bit different, especially on the vulgarity. Drunkeness is another story and thankfully alcohol is cutoff after halftime ends. It saves us all money too if you think about it. After tailgating all morning, does one really feel the need to have a beer in the 4th. qtr.? It`s time to go home at that point anyway and you should have some beer in your fridge at home anyway.
    Vulgarity doesn`t bother me. My kids are 10 and 12 years old, both girls. They`ve heard it all already and at the most they would simply get disgusted at the games if they heard people going off the deep end cursing up a storm. Just like I would. Like I said before, there are 3 words that do not bother me at all. Shit, Asshole and suck. They are quite common in todays world. You hear them on regular television these days too. It`s no big deal to me and no big deal to my kids either. Now when someone starts using the F word or the MotherF`ing word, then I will say something about it. I`ve already had a few run ins with people who just wouldn`t STFU with those words at Jets games. Thankfully all those times I nearly came to blows with those idiots, sopmeone had already sent for security and the morons were ejected. They got the better end of the deal anyway because if I ever hit someone, it`s gonna hurt them. Yeah, I`ll be the ER getting a cast put on my hand/arm, but it`s definitely gonna hurt. :)