Lots of new dirt on Manish - harassing JD's kid etc...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

More accurately "when men solved their differences like children."

2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i vehemently disagree. Media has an ethical duty to tell the truth. In earlier times even when there was yellow journalism there was a notion of the 4th estate of democracy. now "fake news" seems apt in far too many instances

Manish's problem is he has little interest in telling the truth. he only cares about generating clicks

the NYDN would be wise to dump him. He's trading off their name at the moment, for whatever that's worth

#42 chandler, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    azhar80 likes this.
  3. All true but he’s not supposed to be ruthless,slanted & blatantly have an ulterior motive either.

Thats where he runs in trouble.Anyone who has read his material over any length of time begins to realize every word he writes is self serving.

4. Ralebird

You indicated Manish should be beholden to the fans and the team - that's what I object to. Now you are bringing up the duty to tell the truth which is an entirely different matter. Often fans can't handle the truth; sometimes the baby is ugly and a reporter has the obligation to write that. Manish also wears the hat of "columnist" at the News and that's where he gets to put his opinion to paper. If you don't like his opinion that comes with the territory. What seems like "fake news" to you may just be him pissing in your corn flakes - when a guy's job requires reporting and commenting on a shitty team that's what he's going to do whether it upsets the thin-skinned or not.

Now if there is a history of documented falsehoods in his reporting you have a leg to stand on but his opinions are free to go anywhere. Where is that list of things he reported that is not factual?

Noam likes this.
  5. Ralebird

You don't like it when he points out the faults of the Jets but that's his job. Every guy who goes to work is self serving. The "ruthless, slanted" and "ulterior motive" is strictly your opinion.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

For starters, he said the Jets were trying to trade Quinnen Williams only to be refuted by other beat writers.

7. Ralebird

First, did he report it as fact or opine that they would? There's a big difference.

How do we know the Jets weren't interested in trading Williams at all or under certain conditions? His sources might be better or worse than the other writers. Either way, you're not the one who made the claim of fake news and you may not like Manish but I'm looking for support of the claim from the guy who made it.

8. He can knock the Jets all he wants.In most cases they deserve it.

But hes proven reporting the truth or remaining objective is not his game.He was a Jets & even a Gase apologist for quite awhile until Mac got canned & he lost his chief source. The very second that transpired hes been on an endless warpath even after losing his credentials.Maybe your ok w this style reporting but not I & clearly many others.

NCJetsfan and Sec124DieHard like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Any attempt to excuse Manish’s behavior is just a bad look. The level of unprofessional is off the charts and it’s not like he’s providing some kind of groundbreaking coverage where we can say “yes he’s a piece of shit but....”

he’s just a piece of shit.

NCJetsfan, stinkyB, FJF and 6 others like this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The reason the media in NYC/NJ is so toxic at this point comes down to three basic facts:

1. Many media outlets in competition.

2. Two teams in the market.

3. The Jets suck and have sucked for a long time now. The Giants also suck but they are perceived as the better of the two organizations, although there is very little to back up that perception at this point.

What Mehta is doing now precedes the Jets sucking. He was a problem child in the Rex Ryan era and he was a problem before that era went cold. He's kind of a special case.

Since1969 likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When your team is 0-10 anyone around the team is toxic. Owner? sucks. HC? sucks. Manish? sucks.

12. Ralebird

There's nothing wrong for him being an apologist or on the warpath if he's doing it while wearing his columnist hat but not his reporter's hat. It's a screwy situation that he's identified as both but a sign of the times in the newspaper business. It used to be much simpler when a guy was one or the other and everyone understood that.

13. chandler

if there were fans at games and tailgating Manish should be burned in effigy where Daily News is used as kindling, that will exorcise our demons

i'm allowed to say that because it's my opinion and i'm an independent journalist. :)

14. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I read the Daily News most days. Just an old habit because I'm old. But I skip the Jets articles because he is so unprofessional. His personal attacks even against Gase, who everyone on this board thinks is a poor coach, are really nasty. POS!

15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

While details on this haven’t been heard before, none of this is truly “new” news.

Reporting truth is important, and I don’t think anyone genuinely blames Mehta for reporting negative things about the Jets.

What people blame him for, including myself, is desperately hunting for negativity even in the face of positive or neutral fact. There are countless examples of Mehta “reporting” a partial fact with the intention of portraying it as something negative, when in fact it is either positive or neutral. This along with his habit of burying anyone who doesn’t give him information he wants. He is not a good person, I’ve said it on this board numerous times. If anyone here can find an example of me saying anything about any public persona’s character aside from Mehta’s I’d be pretty surprised, certainly in the past few years. I only say that to point out these are not the kinds of things I say lightly.

Lon Chaney, NCJetsfan, FJF and 2 others like this.
  16. chandler

couple that with the fact with he never reports anything truly insightful, and any "news" is usually fake, some rumor he starts, e.g., Q being traded. Has he ever exhibited anything remotely knowledgeable about the game (this is actually true of many writers; they're no more qualified than some random dude at the sports bar). Maximus, you could run circles around Mehta when it comes to football knowledge

i could be wrong on the above because i refuse to click on any of his articles going back to the Doug Marrone hatchet job -- you know the guy he thought was horrible but went onto the AFC championship game shortly after.

regan62072 likes this.
  17. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Mehta had sources with the team back when Tannenbaum was the guy. Tannenbaum was relatively media savvy, and had been in NYC under previous regimes and saw how things go.

Idzik knew he was trash and wanted nothing to do with him. This was part of Idzik’s downfall; he drafted poorly yes but he also instigated Mehta and was thoroughly unprepared for the public teardown Mehta spearheaded, and with a lack of ability to deal with the media it became a snowball effect. Idzik took a lot of public criticism, and a lot of it legitimate, but it was not widely realized how much of a role Mehta had in it. A lot of people know the Marrone situation since it’s more memorable because it came out of nowhere, but it was a similar story with Idzik.

Mac decided to play ball with the POS, which is why Mehta’s “scoops” were a bit more accurate through that era. I assume Mehta threatened a similar type of professional assassination as in the Idzik regime.

Douglas came on board and said f*** off. Mehta tried to do his Mehta thing, but Douglas was clearly more prepared after years of high quality experience. That’s why Mehta has gone off the rails, he was neither able to bully the front office into access nor successfully help an unprepared executive dig his own public grave.

Douglas brings pedigree, experience, and professionalism to the organization. The success of his first draft class has helped keep Mehta’s aggressive narrative at bay for now, which makes Gase the unfortunate yet easy target for Mehta’s attacks. A coach with similar pedigree, experience, and professionalism would make Mehta’s role in the NYDN all but extinct.

Mehta probably knows more about how pro football works than he lets on, but he chooses to portray things in specific ways since the majority of fans out there wouldn’t know if it’s bullshit and likely would just accept it as fuel on the fire of frustration with a bad team. This is actually worse than being a football writer who doesn’t know what he is talking about.

Thanks by the way, I appreciate it.

18. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Is he a REPORTER or COMMENTATOR?

If he’s a reporter he needs to just report facts. Like xyz player has a bum hamstring.

that’s it.

Journalism is dead.

19. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Funny enough, he ain’t teeeting about the game today

20. Ralebird

He's both according to the Daily News:

"Manish Mehta has been the Jets/NFL columnist and beat reporter for 10 years. His breaking news, columns and analysis pieces have taken readers behind Gang Green's curtain."