Loss is on OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by typeOnegative13NY, Nov 1, 2009.

1. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Also, I thought in the 3rd Q we should have banked XP's instead of going for 2 every time simply because "the chart" says to. Only go for 2 in the 4th or when it clearly makes sense to.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Then when the run gets stuffed we would see a thread saying we should have passed the ball. I think they were far too conservative w/ the O until Miami scored their ridiculous TDs but this loss is on the STs not the O.

3. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

Disastrous, yes I do recall that halftime score or 3-3 , guess a few 2nd qtr passes got us in big trouble. I suppose if we ran the whole 2nd qtr the score would have been 3-0. Yes, that's right if we have a 3-0 let's just run out the clock.

I can accept the bitching after the Bills game to an extent since their D is horrible stopping the run. Do you people realize Miami was playing with two rookie Db'a and have been burned by everyone via the pass. Don't get blinded by two 300+ yard rushing performances - There aren't anymore rushing D's out there worse than Buffalo/Oakland. This whole notion that if we just play smashmouth football and run 90% of the time - we'll win, is utter BS.

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Ok,disastrous was the wrong word. We lost what was great field position in the 1st hlf because we abandoned the run. We could have went in the locker room up instead of tied imo. Regardless of your whole post,had we run 3 times,we would have got the 6 yards and probably won the game yesterday. Throwing on 3rd and 4th down was retarded. Should i have worded the thread different,saying the THE OC was A BIG PART OF WHY WE LOST YESTERDAY? Fine,granted. I hope people read THIS post befor further responding to the original so we can clear that up.

5. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Oh,and shottenheimer is still a football retard. fuck him

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

OK i read the first 7 pages and can't take it any more.

Who ever is on the field at the end of a 'winnable' game that is lost, is to blame for the loss.

If we HAD scored at the end, up by 2, and our defense allowed miami to kick a winning FG as time expired, then who's fault is it?

If we are down by 2 and have a chip FG for the win blocked, then who's fault is it?

Shotty blew this game by NOT running on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th downs. Christ, we only needed 6 fn yards to take the lead. Plus, as many others have pointed out, there was almost 2 mins left on the clock so running takes precious time away from miami.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And Buffalo. There's no way in hell the OC should have had Sanchez throwing the ball around like that in a in bad weather in a tight game against a bad team that we had proven we could run on. That was more of a brainfart loss for Schotty than yesterday.

Make the right calls in those two games and we're 6-2 right now and heavily in the playoff hunt instead of 4-4 and on lifesupport at midseason. There is no way to defend the calls in those two games.

8. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

No, loss is on Special Teams play.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for because if you get it you might not be happy with it, personally I don't think BC is the answer, he uses the same west coast offense and he was a pass happy Coach with the Raiders.

10. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Hey, I could care less about Shotty. I just think that using the OC as a scapegoat is too convenient.

When they executed properly on offense they moved the ball up and down the field pretty easily.

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Thats cheap shot. No matter how you look at it, my team lost yesterday. My home team, the Cowboys, won yesterday. I really don't know how that relates to your opinion and this topic...?

12. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Schottenheimer deserves to be fired today. He did exactly what he was not supposed to do. Through his assinine and stupid playcalling Schotty made winning this game come down to whether or not a rookie QB could execute with the game on the line. STUPID. And exactly what Rex talked about NOT DOING after the Buffalo game. Schotty is a screw up. All that he had to do was RUN THE BALL, get the first down and then drive the ball into the endzone on 4 plays. Instead the idiot starts trying to get cute and Sanchez winds up in an obvious passing situation with the game on the line.

Schotty knew that he was supposed to call plays to avoid this scenario but apparently he is just too stubborn or too stupid to learn his lesson. Under either scenario he needs to be fired - TODAY.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous. Schotty made the necessary halftime adjustments to move the ball and put up points. I don't particularly care for him but I don't understand how everyone is blaming him for this loss.

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

How was he supposed to avoid such scenarios when the special team unit alone gave up more yards and pts than the D did? When the opponents suddenly get 21 pts within 6 minutes, what do you expect to be doing? Still gonna run it while down by 3 scores? We passed 35 times and rushed 40 times in a game where we trailed almost the entire second half! We still ran more than we passed and the passing game was working, wasn't it?? Ya'll didn't have a problem when it was working, but now that Sanchez threw 3 straight incompletes (right after he went 8 of 9. Rhythm?), the game falls on his shoulders? Im not saying he was great, but it wasn't his fault yesterday. Being a Jets fan, you should learn to live by a few losses as well!

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Buffalo game had a lot to do with Schotty, but I'm not even close to putting this game at his doorstep. Of course he didn't call a masterful game, and a couple of red zone opportunities were ruined with his impatience, but this game was on special teams, easily. Schotty did enough to win the game, we lost in another phase. 25 points is good enough to win most games.

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

+1
    Exactly my point.

17. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

We seem to hate his trick plays when they don't work. Guess what, we love it when they work. Its the same with all the plays. If they work, we'd love em. If they don't, we'd hate em. He was 'trying to be too cute' with the Sanchez roll out TD run. I didn't see anybody complaining then...

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When you have a rookie QB you cannot afford an impatient offensive coordinator. Seriously, which of those two guys is more important to the Jets over the next 5 years? Think about it.

This season cannot be about Schotty putting up credentials for his next job opportunity. It needs to be about Sanchez advancing and the Jets not losing games needlessly once condition one has been satisfied.

I think you can make a really good case that Schotty's "impatience" is retarding Sanchez development. I think you can also make a good case that it has cost the Jets at least one game so far.

I think you can make a VERY strong case that the Jets would be better off with Bill Callahan taking over the reins on offense for the remainder of the season.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

By no means am I happy about how Schotty has developed as an OC, and I have begun to wonder if this is really the guy who we want to develop our new franchise QB...

But that's not what this thread is about. If the Jets are going to go with a new OC, they need to find out quickly and give Schotty the axe. Because this is a critical stage in MS's development and we need a stable structure in the offense to bring him along.

But... I don't put this game at Schotty's doorstep. He called a passable gameplan, nothing genius. The unthinkable happened on STs.

If we're going to talk about the future of the offense, maybe we need a guy with a solid offensive philosophy like Callahan versus a hodgepodge mishmash of philosophy like Schotty is force-feeding to Sanchez, a change is probably in order.

And even with Greene's fumble, he didn't see the field enough - 8 total touches, and he only got one carry after the fumble in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Way to show the rookie that they have confidence in him.

It only took us half a season for us to try to find out if Clowney can be clutch in the regular season, maybe that can be a gauge to how long it will take to let a solid player see the field.

20. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Schotty under utilized Green and ran way too many run plays right up the gut. Is he afraid to run outside more than once a game? Pull some guards, pull Mangold outside and see what we can do.

This run offense is way too one dimensional and reliant on the HB counter. It's ok to run straight to the outside with guards pulling, straight up power blocking.

And how many screens do we run? 2? The play has been very limited.