Looks like Plax is saying "Bye-Bye" to the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Braylon4ever, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When was the last time the Jets had a prime time pass rusher?

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am a bit surprised how in relation to this Plax deal how nobody is talking about the FO part of it. Seems like some of the people down there thought the way to go at receiver this past year was bring in Plax and Mason, and it seems like neither will be back next season, with Mason not even making it to the halfway mark this past season, and I believe is currently out of the league.

So, is this not another indication that the FO is not getting it done?

Yet another?

Time for the Tanny defenders to answer with how great Revis is or some such off the point nonsense.

3. Nyi28nhl

Nyi28nhl New Member

Good riddance. Plax is big and has pretty nice hands. That's it. It would be nice if he could actually beat a defender instead of having to catch the ball with several DBs on him.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The defense is pretty good. The offense, not so much.

5. Nick

Nick Member

Plax wasn't effective outside the Red-zone. The Jets need to find a deep threat WR, Meachem or maybe even Dwayne Bowe if he's available.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'm here.

/filler

7. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Does this change anything?

“I think we’ll be fine,” Burress said. “You know, I think the Jets will rebound. They’ll make some moves. Mike Tannenbaum is one of the best GMs in all of football. They’ll make the decisions to get the right people and get that train on the right track, and I think they’ll be just fine.”

I asked Burress if Mark Sanchez, criticized from within the locker room for his shaky play down the stretch, can evolve into a franchise quarterback for the Jets.

“Mark can play better,” Burress said. “You know, I know him. Going into this offseason coming up, those quarterbacks and receivers have the opportunity to work together. I know that he doesn’t like the way that he went out and the way that he played, and I’m positive that he’ll work hard in the offseason. He’ll get better as a quarterback, no doubt about it.”

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I really like Floyd, would be tough to pass on Upshaw if he's there though.

klqjlkqjkjwqe I really like them both....

10. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

No question. They would never make a play like that after injuring a hamstring. I'll always love Cotchery just for that play alone.

11. The_Darksider

He was HURT. Got hurt in the preseason and never got untracked. What's your point?

12. The_Darksider

I love the guys who look at stats and claim this is a top-5 defense. Anyone who knows football at all and has watched this team this past season knows that this was anything but a top 5 defense. Shambles may be a bit rough, but I am not under the illusion that the defense is great, or even very good. Too many big plays, too many missed tackles, and most importantly, too many big 3rd and longs converted in big spots.

13. The_Darksider

An inordinate amount of those passes were to Braylon Edwards. THAT'S what happened to THAT Mark Sanchez.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The guy in Detroit would be about half as good as he is without Calvin Johnson who he has been throwing too for every year he's been in the NFL. Sooner or later the Jets will get a clue on this issue although maybe not until Sanchez is ancient history.

A lot of developing a young QB is timing. First you draft the left tackle and make the line good (check.) Then you get a a couple of receivers in or have a few that are good and mid-career (missed.) Then you draft the QB and suffer for a year or two as they develop with subpar teams as a result (Brees/Aikman/Manning) Alternately you coddle the guy very heavily and put almost no load on his shoulders for a couple of seasons (Roethlisberger.) Most importantly, after everything else is done you put a great weapon near the guy in the backfield to take some of the pressure off.

The Jets just went MARINO! ignoring many of the pre-requisites in the process and fell flat on their faces as a result. This leading to the total shutdown of the passing game midway through the season they were supposed to be tossing to develop their franchise QB.

Peyton Manning had Marvin Harrison and Marshall Faulk on the roster when he showed up. He had Edgerrin James and Reggie Wayne shortly thereafter.

Drew Brees had LaDainian Tomlinson standing right behind him on his first snap and LT was one of the top 5 offensive players in the NFL for the next 3 seasons.

Troy Aikman had the ghost of Herschel Walker as the focus of the Cowboy offense and Michael Irvin already there next to him their rookie years. Emmitt Smith showed up the next season and it all jelled in Aikman's third year.

The most amazing QB development story of recent times was in Pittsburgh where the Steelers were forced to develop a young QB instantly when their starter went down to a game two injury in 2004. What did they do? They had Ben Roethlisberger throw 295 passes in 13 starts that year. They all got on the Bus from the get-go. That was the plan right off the bat. Roethlisberger didn't throw more than 30 passes (finally in the playoffs) all season long and was in the teens in about half his starts.

That's the professional way to deal with a young QB on a contending team. It took the Jets 7 games and a flurry of trades to get there.

15. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Aren't there a lot of useful FA WR's this offseason? I think that was part of Tanny's train of thought in regards to having your #2 and #3 receivers both be stopgaps this year. Plus there's only so much money you can tie into the WR position anyway, and we tied a lot of it into Holmes. And Edwards wanted big money, long-term...you can't tie up two guys with sketchy character for long-term money. We paid the piper enough doing it with one.

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Plaxico Burress said Nothing else would make him happier than to sign with the Eagles. I wish he had done so last offseason.

17. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

He would have barely seen the field for the Eagles. MAYBE in the red zone but Desean, Maclin and even Avant at this point are better receivers.

18. thegreatwayne80

good. dont let the door hit him in the ass on his way out

19. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

It will hit him, he's too slow to avoid it

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Hopefully the bullet will again next time he's in the club