Looks like Gamble might be our guy.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jollygreenjet, Jan 5, 2013.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I like the way that's described with both separately reporting to the GM. The way Tanny was supposedly bending to the will of Mangini and Rex on draft picks, that's something we should avoid doing. The coach, as always should have voice, but the GM gets final call and shouldn't feel pressured by the coach/owner to pick a certain player.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Interesting perspective.
    Does the English Premier League have a draft, or is it all FA?

Not every NFL team operates the exact same way, but typically the GM is the boss. Certainly the personnel dept, and the scouting depts, report up to them. They are ultimately responsible for all personnel moves and have that final say. The input they receive of course involves the coaching staff, scouting and personnel depts.

The HC is typically responsible as final say for all coaching staff decisions.
    Again, he would receive input from the GM and others, but typically his decision.

Usually the HC reports up to the GM.
    As other have pointed out, not every team has the HC reporting to the GM, although that is usually the case.

So i agree it is hard to separate the responsibilities, as a good HC and GM need to work as a tandem.
    From what i gathered yesterday, the Jets FO would evaluate how the short list of GM candidates meshed with Ryan in terms of philosophy and direction during a collaborative brainstorm session. That is not uncommon, due to the nature of how close the 2 will work together.
    I did not at all get the impression Ryan was making the GM decision, or conducting any interviews in the search.