Looking forward to training camp and pre season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, May 10, 2015.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to the news and stories coming out of training camp this year. l truly believe we can expect to see a more structured and in depth approach from this leadership team in evaluating talent and selecting who will make the team and why. This coaching staff and front office seem to have a very proffessional, balanced, no nonsense and organized approach to running an NFL team.

I don't know about you guys, but there are a few things I'm dying to see from day one of training camp:

1) True competition - For once each player at each position needs to compete in earnest. Not some fake BS competition for the annointed ones at the top while the bottom 20% battle it out. I have a strong feeling that with Bowles they will have to earn it, and not getting a role due to entitlement, politics or favoritism. Competition needs to be far more engrained across the board not just than for the players on the bubble but for the whole 90 on the way down to 53.

2) A drag out, knock down battle for QB, RB, WR and Offensive lineman. I think we have some real tough choices to make there.

3) A quick resolution to the Mo situation one way or the other. I don't want to see a hold out in the making.

4) Rookies with promise. Football players above all, not athletes. I'm hoping a couple of undrafted free agents crack the team with talent and some of the old wood goes by the wayside

5) A disciplined, hard working team with no major injuries going into preseason.

6) No more glowing reviews or talk about how good we think we are, but rather how hard we will compete.

7) Will the real Milliner please stand up

Can't wait. How do you guys feel about training camp?

boozer32, HAYN, Axel3419 and 2 others like this.
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well, Mo won't hold out at this point. Unfortunately for him, he has absolutely no leverage. If he holds out all he does is decrease his value because Leonard Williams will be ready to step in and make him look expendable. If he wants to make big cash, he has to ball out this season.

3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Offseason and draft def. has me on the upbeat!

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to a more disciplined team that's held accountable.

I'm also looking forward to building some respect within the league, as an organiation .
    I feel Maccagnan has shown already that he has a plan and knows what he's doing, therefore we finally have the right pieces in place to stop being looked at as a rudderless ship.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I just love footage of guys in green playing football. That's so exciting for me. I've been watching any clips and looking at any photos from the rookie camp and veteran camp a bit before that and just watching a WR catch a ball or a DL attacking the bags gets me pumped.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

There should be alot more upside going forward.

In Phase One of retooling this mess of a team, Mac lands us primo FAs and IMO Aces his first draft with offensive and defensive talent.

Phase Two is really the Todd Bowles show. He now has a better defense than Rex and prob. most of the league so he must figure how to use this advantage (I am sure he is better than loudmouth) Chan Gaily I think is under the most pressure since he has to trust in Fitz or Geno. One really sucks and the other coming off a broken leg. This is a true "between a rock and a hard place". May come down to which one is more accurate at hitting the long ball to DSmith plus any degree of accuracy throwing to Marshall, Decker etc. In Fitz you will not lose on dumb and hes worked well with Gailly before so he probably praying the Rosary he beats out Geno. Wouldnt want to be Chan Gailly right now. Hes lucky Bowles said publically he is interested in the offense not just blowing up some defense records

#6 NYJetsO12, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    HAYN, No Fly Zone and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I personally can't wait to find out who the next Bret Ratliff or Ryan Spadola is. And then I can't wait til that guy gets cut and another team picks him up and everybody freaks out.

On a more serious note, and it's kind of related, my favorite part of camp is finding that guy that no one has ever heard of but sticks out above the rest and ends up making the team. Last year it was Rontez Miles for me.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That's unusual. Football isn't really that popular and most people usually don't get interested in it until the playoffs.

AlmostNamedMyDogRevis and FJF like this.
  9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

when does camp start exactly? is there a date?

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah Mac brought a ton of talent in. Now we need to keep the best guys as we will have to cut it down to the 53 best. It will be really fun to see them compete for a spot because a think for once we have a lot of guys that are very talented from the top down that will push the others. We have 5 runningbacks, I wanna say like 10 receivers, 4 Quarterbacks, and a ton of defensive linemen that all can't make the team. Even guys like Mauldin could beat out Calvin Pace for the starting spot. I don't think this roster is set by any means.

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Miles is a guy i'll be watching for again this camp.
    last year, i focused in on special teams during preseason games. Bellore (of course) and Miles both really stood out.
    he has a good chance to make the team on that alone.

not sure about his coverage tho. if he can play physical against TE's, i could see him competing with Allen for a spot.

another guy i'll be looking for is Marcus Williams.
    would like this guy to earn a spot, and be developed. he'll need to contribute on special teams as well, as spots will be tight.

Taiwan Jones same thing, although he may be more likely for practice squad unless he really impresses on ST.

common theme with all these guys.....UDFA's who aren't all that fast, but are tough football players who will play with a chip.
    it's always great to see someone rise from that category.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Taiwan Jones same thing, although he may be more likely for practice squad unless he really impresses on ST.

common theme with all these guys.....UDFA's who aren't all that fast, but are tough football players who will play with a chip.
    it's always great to see someone rise from that category.[/QUOTE]

Agree Back to Queens

My three UDFA dark horses:
    1)Wes Saxton TE, 2)Taiwan Jones LB and 3)Julian Housare LB (small school speedy guy)
    My prediction for the "steal of the draft rookie" sure to impress
    1) Lorenzo Maulding
    My prediction for the "better than advertised" rookie
    1) Devin Smith

Most pleasant surprise of training camp and pre season
    Milliner and MacDougle (tied) they become key contributors.

Biggest question mark going into the first game of preseason.....QB.

Biggest shocker of all. Jets finish pre season without one negative article from Cimini or Metha, LOL

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. AlmostNamedMyDogRevis

AlmostNamedMyDogRevis Active Member

Routes Miles should make the cut, I agree

14. AlmostNamedMyDogRevis

AlmostNamedMyDogRevis Active Member

Also just read a great headline about how "Leonard Marshall" (?) of the jets reached out to Fowler

15. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

Can't wait to see this D in action. The talent on that side of the ball is unbelievable.

16. NYJetsO12

17. NYJetsO12

18. NYJetsO12

Chan Gaillys offense is like he was given a Lexus that's loaded but he can't find someone on the team who has a drivers license

TNJet, Brook!, lucrazy719 and 2 others like this.
  19. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

LOL at least pick an expensive car that is worth the price

20. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I like what Mac has done to date but I am a little concerned that he spent a lot of future cap space. As you mentioned, Gailey is under the most pressure. They have GeNO who is epically bad and Fitz coming off a leg injury. While I do like that Petty has time to sit, watch, learn and mature this year if Gailey and CS feel he's not the answer going into 2016 they'll need to sign an experienced vet QB at some point because this is a win now team and they 'll also need to deal with contract issues for Mo, Snacks, Richardson etc). Yes there is a lot of youth but there is age at key positions (D'Brick, Mangold, Marshall, Cro etc.) I'm not sure they can do that given what's left of future cap space unless some combination of D'Brick, Mangold and Cro are cut or re-structured after this coming year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.