Line Guys, show us your stuff: How will BUF attack and how will NY stop it?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I'll give a DB's perspective on line play and try to explain (with as many words as I can remember from the part of meetings I never paid any attention to) what I think we could see.

If I remember correctly, Ferguson has had pretty good success against Mario Williams in the past. I doubt Buffalo would line up Williams on Howard; it would be a waste. In other words, if Buffalo can rush the passer, they can beat Howard with someone else.

Whether Buffalo sees it or not, there appears is a lack of communication between Brick and Slauson as evidenced by the confusion they've both exhibited at times. Faneca and Brick had a much better connection and I think that's more than just a result of Faneca being better than Slauson.

So I expect Buffalo to use stunts to try and work Williams inside and attack the B gap. I wouldn't be surprised to see him lined up as a 3 technique a few times.

I've seen outside rushers beat Ferguson more in the last couple years and I think it's because Brick isn't all that confident that if he leaves the inside rusher, that guy will actually get blocked. I also saw a preseason game this year in which Brick and Slauson had a double team on a tackle, then Slauson left Brick one on one to find another man to block and couldn't find anyone so he joined Mangold and Moore to triple team another DT. Brick got pushed straight back into Sanchez on that play.

So aside from the typical Williams vs Ferguson plays we'll see plenty of, I think they'll use outside blitzes to draw Brick outside and open up the B gap...maybe even using Williams as a "decoy" (have him take an outside line) to make more room for blitzing DBs and LBs to slip through. Although these plays would probably be set blitzes. I think Williams will also freelance a bit with his techniques....most of the good guys do.

With Austin I think they'll try to just plain beat him the way everyone did with Hunter, but I also expect to see a lot of movement to try and confuse him.

How do we stop it? I don't know...we need to be better than them and our QB has to complete some short, quick passes early to get the D to lay off. There's gonna be pressure no matter what. Sanchez has never had nice, cushy pockets and he won't this week. Slauson needs to stay composed, I see him in trouble primarily based on what appears to be his mental game. Blocking-wise he can get it done. And if Powell is as good a blocker as Rex says, then we may see more of him than Greene if pass pressure becomes an issue. I just hope the Jets are still in the game if it comes to that. Too bad we don't have a TE we can rely on to stay in the game on all downs. A guy like that would be a real asset for our new tackle.

#1 Jtuds, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

D'Brick never had to cover for Faneca the way he has had to cover for Slauson. That's not saying that Faneca was a better pass protector than Slauson, because I don't think that is true, but Faneca was not perceived as a weak-link in some sets the way Slauson is and so defenses did not attack him the way they attack Slauson.

3. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Run the ball,

4. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

You say that as if it's a decision. Tell us what you'd do to run the ball. What type of blocking scheme will work against the Bills front?

5. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Oh, we know that no blocking scheme will work against the Bills' front. The Bills defensive front line is the closest thing to the Steel Curtain we've seen in thirty years. The Bills line has been the rock, upon which they've built their six straight Super Bowl championships. Not a single Jets offensive lineman has gotten a night's sleep since the schedule was announced, and they knew they'd be facing that formidable Bills' front in game one. What blocking scheme will we use, are you mad sir? We'll just be trying to survive!

6. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

7. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

With your WR's as a perceived weakness, I'd expect to see some corner blitzes sprinkled in as well. It really depends on your backfield picking up the blitz.

8. WhysoSerious?

WhysoSerious? Banned

Williams will be lining up against Howard. He has been going against the RT all preseason. Mark Anderson/Kelsay will be playing against Brick. Good luck with Howard.

9. BadThingsMan

BadThingsMan New Member

As already noted, Williams will be the Bills left defensive end for the Bills. This has been common knowledge all off-season. He'll go against Austin Howard. Being a Bills fan, I know we'll get to the quarterback a few times. That said, the Jets need to and will use the Bills aggressiveness against them. Draw plays, run plays to Mario's side as he can be overaggressive trying to get to the quarterback, and plenty of screen passes. This will be a good and close game. Best of luck guys. It's a big game, but definitely not make-or-break for either team this season.

10. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Howard will receive help from Conner a lot and probably Keller too. Mark Anderson is esaily taken 1v1 by Brick.

11. carolinabillsfan

carolinabillsfan New Member

Good point, Anderson only had 2.5 sacks against him last year

12. BadThingsMan

BadThingsMan New Member

This may not be the proper thread to ask this, but what happened to Conner? I've watched him for a while now, and he hasn't come close to my expectations of him as a fullback. I really thought he was going to be one of the best fullbacks in the league.

13. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i expect to see corner blitzes every week. its something sanchez has struggled picking up his entire career

14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

im not sure the jets have a screen play in their playbook. its something this unit as a whole has struggled bigtime with.

15. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Well now they run a 4-3 there's not mucch to explain. Darreus is sposed to get everyone a 1 on 1 and they win their battles that way. Unless they have kyle williamsplay the 1 technique and move darreus out to rush as a 3 technique next to williams essentially. Making it williams darreus vs brick slauson.

Don't e surprised to see mario in at DT some plays next to darreus. This will allow the bills to try to attack the edges with their LBers.

But for exploratory sake......

4-3 is pretty basic its about the guys up front winning their battles. It really only gets complicated when they talk zone blitzes.

Williams will test brick. Your wrong about brick doing well against williams. I remember him being in the backfield, and making sanchez move in the pocket and rush his reads.

Im moreso worried about the rest of the OL. Mangold will need some help with the interior.

So he question is how well we can hold up 1 on 1 when it comes to OG vs Whoever they play at 3 technique. Howard making the right blitz pickups.

They can also slide both dts inside shading mangolds outside sides allowing williams to play 2 gap reads as they run stunts and twists with the other 3 DL and also mix some blitzes in.

This game will be a good barometer for what to expect from our OL. My guess is they get aggressive with their front 7 asking us to beat them with accurate short to intermediate throws.

Draws, counters, and stretch runs might be good to counter this if theyccan hold up on OL.

John conner will have to chip some OLBs and occasionally blow up the middle when they make overload blit reads up front.

All in all im looking to see how they handle a very talented front 4. I think the weakness is their age and LBers switching to a 4-3

Gilmore is gonna be a playmaker at cb but he can be too aggressive at times and I think the jets would be best suited to pass to setup the run and widen out the running lanes and get their run stopping lbers dropping into zone and stop keying in on our run heavy sets.

#15 Coach K, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  16. BadThingsMan

BadThingsMan New Member

Sounds like the Bills and their issues with running play-action passes.