Let's talk WR's

Discussion in 'Draft' started by REVISion, Jan 5, 2022.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Your post came across as very defensive and hostile, not at all like our previous exchanges.

Do you remember in which games he threw his little diva fits, because again, I never saw him come close to doing it even once? As you said, however, even if he did, young players due to immaturity do that some.

We can agree to disagree regarding Wilson's fit on the Jets. I admit that he is the most polished, most NFL-ready WR in the draft. From that perspective, if we didn't have Moore, I'd be glad to have him. He's close enough to Moore in size, that for me, it's a no-go. I think we need a WR like Burks who has size, great leaping ability, speed, good hands, who will always be a good target due to his catch radius and his ability to go up and get the ball in contested catch situations. Zach would not have a bigger or safer zone with Wilson over Burks in contested catches. I'm sorry, but that's just silly and shows your bias. No 6'0/6'1" WR is going to have a bigger/safer catch radius than a 6'3" WR who can sky for the ball and how 10 1/4" hands.

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I love me some Burks. He reminds me of another contested catch beast from Western Michigan who was drafted back in 2017.

For those who think the Jets should draft another big body receiver: I assume you also want us to get a TE…. Is stocking up on big-bodied receivers the best strategy for this precision based system?

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

6’1 is slightly above average in height for WRs.
    Having a receiving core made up of:
    6’5 TE
    6’3 Davis
    6’1 Wilson/Ridley
    5’10 Moore
    Sounds like a better idea than
    6’5 TE
    6’3 Davis
    6’3 Burks
    5’10 Moore

You’re way seems a bit repetitive. Do you have so little confidence in Zach where every catch is going to be a contested catch?

4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Trade for Ridley. Second rounder and Mims etc.

KingRoach likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I have been watching Wilson more, and there is a lot to like. But why are people saying he may be 6"1'? He is listed as 6 feet in Ohio St, and let's face it, they rarely (if at all) under list. If he is anywhere near 6"1', he would be listed as such. I think the best case scenario is 6 even, but could be 5-11 and change.

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing there's a team with a later pick that is willing to trade a No. 1 for Ridley and view his as the last piece to the puzzle, but if you can get Ridley without dealing 4 or 10, I think that's my preferred option.

KingRoach likes this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting for the official at the combine. The listings a lot of times aren't right. I'm 6' tall, he looks taller than me In person. So, idk. Doesn't matter though, he's adequate height for a WR regardless.

8. IIMeanDeanII

I think It will likely be a moot point anyway. I have a feeling that JD will try to upgrade the WR position again In free agency or trade. We shall see.

I'm not a fan of Burks at the moment, maybe that will change, I doubt It though. I think he will be one of the fan favorites amongst Jets fans that will get overrated for one reason or another. It happens every year.

We can disagree on, Wilson.

However. Again, not biased. Me stating that Wilson Is extremely good at contested catches doesn't make me biased at all. The 3" that Burks has over Wilson doesn't mean anything In a vertical jump, other than, Burks was spotted 3" from jump street. You really think someone at 6' can't out jump someone at 6'3"? It's entirely possible. In this case. Burks Is extremely athletic, so I would assume that he will have the better vertical. I highly doubt It's world's better though.

The only biased opinion I see right now, Is yours. You really like Burks. That's okay. Not sure why you think you need to attack my fandom, call me biased, and act like your opinion Is gospel along the way.

It's okay that you have your favorite. Not sure why you feel you need to make sure everyone else feels the same as you do, It's okay for people to disagree and agree all at the same time.

9. NCJetsfan

I didn't say that it wasn't possible that a 6' person can't outjump a 6'3" person. I said that I don't think that Wilson can outjump Burks. Again, I could be wrong, but that's what I see.

I'm not biased, either. I like Burks a lot, but he's not a finished product by any means. There are question marks about him, but I think his ceiling is higher than Wilson's, while Wilson's floor is higher. As I read more about him, see more footage of his, and other WRs, my opinion can change. I have an open mind, but his size, hands, speed, and athleticism are going to be hard to beat.

I don't have the need that everyone think like me or agree with me. I thought this was a discussion list where we share our opinions and debate about them, but I guess I was wrong.

10. IIMeanDeanII

This Is a discussion board. Forum.

My point.

You've called me biased twice now within this discussion. You've called It silly to suggest that Zach Wilson would have a safe zone with Garret Wilson as his WR. If you re-read what I initially put, I didn't say who I thought would be better between the two WR that we are currently discussing. You either miss-read or assumed this. I think they would both be assets In this specific aspect of their games.

You constantly use words that suggest that nobody can possibly be correct when In a discussion with you. I'm not sure If you even realize the way you speak down to people a lot of the times.

I like you, NC. I do.

I just think that you could reflect a little and maybe realize the condescending tones that you often bring to the table when you do discuss things with others. Specifically when those views don't meet your views.

Anyway. I don't have an issue with you, you don't have to take my observation If you don't want. I'm just saying, I enjoy having discussions, debates, I don't enjoy It as much when someone wants to act like they know It all and nobody else could possibly have a point opposite of theirs.

We are good. All I will say on the matter. Perhaps I should've PM'd you this instead, I'm far too lazy for that now.

Have a good night. We will discuss more In the future.

11. NCJetsfan

With regards to the bold, please re-read what I said. I did NOT say that it would be silly to suggest that Zach Wilson would havfe a safe zone with Garrett Wilson as his WR. You were trying to intimate that Wilson could outjump Burks. What I said was silly was the thought that Wilson could provide a bigger safe zone than Burks, and it is. Burks has 3-4 inches on Wilson. He's got longer arms and a bigger torso, resulting in a larger catch radius. Burks can jump. Even if Wilson could jump as high as Burks, which I doubt, he still would have a smaller catch radius, and thus a smaller window for passes.

If I misread your intent or twisted your words, I apologize. It was unintentional.

I will take you at your word that you aren't biased. I've never known you to lie, and you have been unbiased in the past.

Thanks. You have a good night as well.

12. IIMeanDeanII

That's what I mean. I wasn't trying to compare the two. I was just saying that Wilson would be a good safe bubble with a good catch radius, just in general. He's a chain mover for sure.

Absolutely. We will put a pin In this one for now.

On to the next one. Ha

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

@IIMeanDeanII @NCJetsfan @Jonathan_Vilma

Folks, thanks for you insight on the WR prospects by watching games throughout season and sharing here. I finally got a chance to watch a tape on major prospects this weekend and dive into the stats. While @IIMeanDeanII, I completely understand you look at Jameson as a guy who as a sophomore was a special teams guy and who was not good enough to beat out Wilson, Olave and Smith in Ohio, he took a major leap last off season and surpassed Wilson and Olave, while a year young than them. Jameson was a top 10 pick before the ACL injury. After the ACL, especially given his body type, there is no chance he will be picked unless he slips into second, which he won't. Too bad Smith cannot declare, that dude is a beast. Already best WR in Ohio St and two years younger than Wilson.

Right now I feel there is only one top 10 receiver in this class, and this is Burks. Garrett is good, but the upside is concerning. No problem to take him later in the draft if we drop out of #10, but he looks like a solid WR #2. Kind of like where I see Moore. Watching Burks, I see a freak athletically, who managed to stay free of major injuries, and is very shore handed. He only had 4 drops this year for 5.8% drop rate, compared to 7.9% or Wilson and 8.3% of London. He is also superior on YAC. 9.3 YAC compared to 6 for Wilson and 5 for London. London is quite promising too, but Burks is faster, more athletic, and didn't have major injuries, which puts him ahead in my book.

Another point Vilma noted earlier is that Burks is in run heavy offense, which is explains his YPG being only 92 (vs Garrett's 96). However, he had something like 43% of his team total passing yards. That's pretty insane. Also, while Jefferson, his QB, is a good QB, he is not yet Heisman candidate like the Ohio St one. Burks' catch % is 73.9 this year, and similar last year, which is at the top of major prospects along with London. Garrett is at 68.6%. Also, Burks is a good blocker as well, which is important for our scheme. On top of that, the guy had the highest overall speed clocked last year.

The bottom line here is that Burks checks pretty much all the boxes. Size, strength, speed, YAC, overall production, athleticism, low drop %, high catch %, ability to block, no injury history. Out of everyone he has the most potential to be long term WR1. He is what we were hoping Mims might become, but better than Mims in every area, hence having a much better chance to achieve WR1 status in NFL.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Glad you looked at video of the WRs. I spent much of the weekend (when I wasn't sick, which was a good half of the weekend), watching analysis tapes of Burks. He has some things to work on. I think part of his drops problem is that he sometimes jumps and then tries to basket catch the ball rather than raising his hands and arms and high pointing the ball as he does at other times. He will need to break that habit.

He also has a limited route tree, but as was pointed out in one of the analysis videos, he's showing signs of doing some higher level things on the routes he runs, so shows the ability to learn and progress. He seems to have a high football IQ. Most of his snaps at Arkansas were in the slot. That wouldn't be the case with the Jets, so there will be some adjustment period for him, but I think he can make that move easily enough. He also lined up in the backfield, took direct snaps, ran reverses and double reverses, threw a pass, and lined up like an H-Back and out wide. It's amazing that at his size, he's a Deebo Samuel type player, but with his size, he can also be more than that. The beauty is that while he's adjusting to lining up wide most of the time and running a bigger route tree, he already has ways in which he can get on the field and contribute. He'll have no problem learning the slot plays like Mims did He looks to be a true Alpha male, where Mims was never that. He even returned a couple of punts and a KO or two his freshman year. He also needs to work on his blocking and his route running. He doesn't have quick feet so he won't be as agile in and out of his breaks as a smaller WR, but there are compensations with his speed, leaping ability, and size. Watching the video it's fun watching all the collegiate DBs underestimate his speed and taking bad angles, and he bursting right by them down the sidelines. He wasn't pressed often but with his size, hand use, and speed, he beat the press easily every time.

I think his floor is pretty high, definitely higher than Mims. Even if he was unable to fix his route running and learn a bigger route tree, with his size, hand size, speed and ability to high point the ball, he can still contribute at a pretty high level. He just might not reach his full immense potential.

He has a lot of little things to work on/refine. If he has the work ethic, can do those things, and has the burning desire to be great, I think he could possibly be a Megatron light in the NFL. IMO the key will be the interview process and determining his work ethic, love for football and desire to be great. If he has those things, and is there are out 2nd pick of the 1st round, then I think we should sprint to the podium and take him, whether that's at #10, or after having traded down a little. If he's there at 10, however, imo they shouldn't risk trading down and missing out on him, unless JD doesn't like him.

Borat likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen any of the bold or even see any of it pop up on scouting reports? Got anything substantial to view?

Wilson is also going to be great. I’d be good with either.

16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I like Olave a lot in the 2nd round. He is definitely lean and lanky which could lead to injuries. I find he also looks lean on the field.

17. IIMeanDeanII

I think It was an initial take that I had after watching a few games, It's minimal overall. I shouldn't have went that way before I watched all of his games. I'm doing that now.

I spoke on a few times he did act out, nothing crazy though. Couple times In the first half of the Alabama game. I remember once In the 3rd or 4th quarter before the drive that ended with him getting a TD in the Mississippi State game. He kept clapping his hands mid route aggressively because Jefferson wasn't looking his way. Understandable though If I'm honest. Another time he spun around In a circle In frustration with his fists clinched against AL. Nothing crazy. I haven't watched all his games yet but I misspoke overall If I'm honest.

So far I've only watched him vs LSU, AL, Mississippi State, and just finished watching against Ole Miss. Which was a very low effort game for him..

Anyways. I still got a lot to watch yet on the kid before I start throwing things around like that.

18. NCJetsfan

@IIMeanDeanII

The link below is to an article by Daniel Kelly that rips Olave. I thought you'd like the honor of responding to his point. You know Olave and his ability probably better than anyone else on this board.

I don't agree with the author. Admittedly, I haven't seen tons of Olave, but what I have seen was good, although I wasn't really zeroed in on him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/fo...-ohio-state-receiver-chris-olave-will-be-bust

He does like Garrett Wilson and thinks the Jets should draft him. https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/ne...receiver-garrett-wilson-first-round-nfl-draft

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  19. IIMeanDeanII

I don't think he would be the best option for our offense. I think Olave Is legit though and I think he has potential to be the real deal for the right team. He could work In our offense, I just think other prospects fit better In our offense.

The dude Is fast. Very fast. It shows on tape. I don't agree with that first take of his. He can get rerouted at times, I agree with that. I don't believe It's often but enough to consider a red flag there. He Is a very effort based player, that take Is just not true. He gave a lot of effort and passion to the team, even going back to school at a chance to win a National Championship. It didn't pay off, this past year probably hurt his draft stock a bit even, still, he's a competitor. I don't agree with him taking It easy If the ball doesn't go to him comment. I never got that impression at all.

Honestly, I think this guy Is getting him confused because he Is a very long strider. I'm sure you get what I'm saying with that, but, the way he runs, the long steps he takes In his sprint, makes It look like he Is slower than he actually Is. The long striding illusion. Burks looks similar when he runs, long strider as well, but, super fucking fast. This guy Is confused. IMO.

Olave Is fantastic at manipulating DB's, creating space, running routes.. Confused at that take as well.

I think he Is weak (willing though) at run blocking for sure. On the weak side In general. If he gets caught up at the LOS, It's hard for him to recover. As It Is for most WR's. That could be a big issue In the NFL potentially. Hopefully not though.

I don't know. I don't agree with most of this guys assessment. Some of It Is just baffling even. I do agree with some though for sure.

Honestly.. I think Olave has weaknesses for sure. I don't think he has a lot though.

Weak In the run game. Can be derailed with more physical DB's. Struggles at the LOS when faced with DB's with good press skills. He CAN beat press, he just struggled more with that than against off-man.

If Olave doesn't get out done physically In the NFL, the kid will be great I think. He has a very strong football IQ, someone that truly knows how that offense operated, not just his position.

I could keep going I'm sure. ha

Hopefully that sheds some light from my perspective though.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Was looking for a FA thread but... anyway... this is a FA that I think is worth checking out
    DJ CHark... what think yall?