Let's talk WR's

Discussion in 'Draft' started by REVISion, Jan 5, 2022.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Is Williams running by people bc he’s fast or is he leaving people behind bc of the ankle breaking routes he runs?

I like the fact he transferred to Bama. They put out quality WRs and he was able to learn from 2 different high end programs and expand his knowledge base.

Rockinz, Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. KingRoach

Cowboy are 16mm over the cap next year and only have 19mm is space for 2023. Even if the cut Cooper, they’ll still need to restructure some others.

I don’t know how they’d be able to keep Shultz but the Jones family has surprised me before.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If all of the top edge rushers are gone, then Hamilton would be a great addition at #4. The thing is that this D is built upon the DL and the pass rush. Too often this year our pass rush has disappeared. We need to add an elite edge rusher.

I'd love to add Shultz in FA. He should be one of their top targets if he hits FA.

I would not trade for Ridley or any player. Trades are too costly. Ridley is already 27 and he has never played/started in all 16 games of the season. The closest he came was in 2020 where he started 15 games. He has only started 5 games this season. He is too injury prone. There are LOT of very good WR prospects in the draft and there will be some good WRs to hit FA. IMO there's no sense in burning draft picks unnecessarily in trading for a WR.

Welcome to the board.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah but Adams and Hill are two of the best receivers in the league. We have no one even close to their levels right now.

5. REVISion

I like this a lot. Take Hamilton or Stingley with our first pick, a WR with the Seattle pick and a TE with one of the 2nd round picks. All impact positions and all positions of need.

Pepsiguy5, KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. REVISion

Probably both. His top end speed is insane, he just has a gear that almost no one else has. He's also really agile though, he switches direction while at top speed like a rabbit. I'm not the best at analyzing route running so I'll leave that to some other posters.

Alabama receivers have an amazing track record in the NFL lately but it worries me a lot that Wilson outperformed Williams by a ton when they were on the same Ohio State team together.

I do think Williams is the most gifted athlete by a considerable margin in this WR class so if he hits his upside he could be really good. I generally lean towards safer prospects in general though so I'm a bit uneasy about hoping a guy reaches his potential.

Curious to hear @IIMeanDeanII 's thoughts about Wilson and Wilson+Williams' time together at Ohio State.

#46 REVISion, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    KY Jets Fan and KingRoach like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

really because we just put up 24 (could have been 27 if we kicked a FG at the end) while missing davis, moore, crowder, becton, fant, mcgovern, carter, kroft, RG, daniel brown. so your only proving my point. 27 PPG is top 10 in scoring. and similar to the rams, packers, and cardinals.

I'm all for bringing in schultz and drafting a TE in the 2nd round. but WR can wait until the later rounds. 3rd or later. we can also make a run at juju who'd value isn't too high or another FA WR. our 1st 2 picks should be impact players on defense. our next 2 should be TE and RG. then we can look at WRs.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Burks looks to be faster than London. He is 6'3" 225 lbs. That's plenty big for a WR. We don't need another sub 6' WR no matter how good he is. That makes for smaller targets, smaller target windows and there's no size advantage over DBs. To help Wilson develop they need WRs and TEs 6'3 and above. No more shrimps. What do you mean by "clunkiness"? He looks smooth to me.

I don't possibly see how you could rate London #2. He looks pretty slow. He has great height, but his hands are no better than Burks.

I'm not that concerned that Wilson was better than Williams at OSU. Some players are slower in developing than others, or maybe the offense or CS didn't click with him and that's why he transferred and blossomed. With his speed, he could still blow by DBs in the NFL.

I rate them:

1. Burks
    2. Williams
    3. London

Wilson isn't even on my list. He's a great prospect, but not for the Jets.

blackssmagic and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Jets are averaging 18.8 points per game this season. That's 25th in the NFL. One good game doesn't tell the whole story.

10. GasedAndConfused

really? because adams was a 2nd round pick who got drafted to a HOF QB, hill was a 5th rounder who got drafted to a HOF QB. when they were drafted nobody expected them to be elite or they would have been drafted higher. both went into good offenses with 2 of the best OCs in the NFL (ried and laflaur) and 2 all pro QBs. adams didn't even have a 1k yard season until his 5th year. he's only had 3 out of 8. hill had under 600 yards his 1st year. who's to say moore won't be as good as these guys?

11. GasedAndConfused

over the last 4 we are averaging 20.75. a number brought down by the 9 we scored against the saints really good defense, a defense that shut down the number 2 offense in the NFL to 0 points. over the last 3 (2 of the defenses are good defenses too in miami and TB even with the injuries were averaging 24.6 per game. the numbers are skewed because of the early struggles of a rookie QB/HC/OC and tons of other young players. even with the injuries the 24.6 would be tied for 14th with the vikings. a team with cousins at QB, cook at RB and thielen and jefferson at WR. good for 14th and above average. considering all the injuries we've had at WR, not to mention starting a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string QB in 3 different games and lsoing our RB1 and 2 and our top 3 TEs. it's a pretty impressive feat

12. KingRoach

Williams is under 6’3.

13. REVISion

Definitely agree that Burks is faster than London, I just think London is so big that it doesn't matter that he's a little slow. He'll beat guys with height and by high pointing the ball.

Regarding clunkiness - it just looked like Burks has kind of heavy feet when trying to turn at speed. Wilson and Williams are notably more nimble imo.

If Williams took longer to develop than Wilson then that's a red flag to me. Wilson seemed to learn the position a lot more quickly and was asked to do more because of it. I don't want another Mims where he's got physical talent but not the effort part of it. I do agree Williams is fast enough where maybe that won't matter.

Watching Wilson to me was like watching Spider Man play WR. The guy is just so acrobatic it was really impressive. Great hands catcher too. He doesn't seem as fast as you'd expect a guy his size to be but everything else was A+ to me, I agree with @MaximusD163 there.

14. NCJetsfan

With regards to Burks, even if you're right that his feet are slow, it won't matter because of his height/size. He can bully DBs. He high points as well as London.

Why is it a red flag if Williams took longer to develop than Wilson? That doesn't make sense to me. Not every player deverlops at the same rate, but there's no proof that the faster developing wind up being better long term. It could just mean that Wilson has already peaked, and Williams is just starting to realize his potential. I don't want a player at any position who has already peaked. What makes you think that Williams didn't give effort at OSU? Did you read something to that regard? If so, then I understand your hesitance, and I would agree. If you haven't read anything to that extent, then just because a player takes longer to develop doesn't mean that he wasn't putting forth effort. It could have been physical maturity and growing into his body/developing coordination, or it could have been the OSU scheme or the way the OSU position coach coached them.

15. REVISion

Here's a comparison of Wilson and Williams' stats during the year they played together at OSU:

Wilson:

8 games
    43 receptions
    723 yards
    6 TD's

Williams:

6 games
    9 receptions
    154 yards
    2 TD's

To me that means that Wilson had a way better grasp of the offense or was significantly better at running routes. Watching Wilson's tape, he catches a lot of balls over the middle which also tells me he has a diverse route tree.

I don't take improvement as a given, so I'd be hesitant to draft Williams while hoping he continues to improve. Most guys get worse in the NFL, not better. It's a lot harder for many reasons. They go to teams that don't have a talent advantage over their opponents, the playbooks are a lot more complex.

From reading OSU fan comments on Wilson it sounds like he was a natural from his freshman year on.

16. NCJetsfan

Yes, I looked up their stats.

Most guys get worse in the NFL? How is that? When most haven't reached their peack yet, either due to poor coaching or being later to develop physically? Why is ceiling so important if most get worse? Is that some other cockamamie stat you've read somewhere.

17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If we can't get Schultz, I'd go after someone a bit younger (Njoku, OJ Howard, Tonyan, or Gerald Everett) and give them a relatively cheap, multi-year deal. Thinking in the 2yr/10-12M range that essentially would be a 1yr/5-6M prove-it deal.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. REVISion

Because the NFL is a lot harder than college. There's a reason most draft picks bust other than the guys taken at the very top.

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think it's a little bit of both. He's a very good route runner with elite top end speed.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

No offense but I think this whole argument you're trying to make is irrelevant.

Williams just put up 1500 yards and 15 TD's in the SEC, a conference that is going to have at least 5 CB's go in the first 3 rounds (excluding Stingley here because he sat out this year) and played well against Cincinnati who will also have 2 CB's go in the first 3 rounds. His stats this year are comfortably better than anything Wilson has done in his career so far.

It may have taken a little bit longer for Williams to hit his stride but he's hit it. I'm not sure how you can say his lack of production as a Sophomore is a red flag while seemingly dismissing the fantastic season he's currently having.

Borat, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.