Lets not screw this up

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Aug 23, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

With all the discussion here about going after guys like Fowler, Mack, Bell, et. al., some are urging Macc to get one or more of these guys at all costs. While I think they can certainly help the Jets, I would hope Macc doesn't fall into the trap from a few years ago when he spent all that money and set the team back a few years.

IMO, if he can get Fowler for no more than Teddy (and assuming he thinks his character issues are manageable), then I'm good with that. But I think Mack, as great as he is and would be, will cost way too much to acquire, and cripple their ability to keep building a sustainable SB contender. As for Bell, as great as he is, he reminds me of the Revis debacle waiting to happen again. Even if they signed him and he was on his best behavior for a year, the Jets aren't going to the SB this year with the other holes they have, and so that would be one less year of his peak that would be burned.

I think Macc learned his lesson and is committed to primarily building through the draft. I'm at least as impatient as anyone here, but while there are times to sign or trade for established studs - who are still young and reliably productive for 5+ years - the bulk of your superstars needs to come from the draft. Let's hope Macc doesn't get too impatient with his own blueprint and cripple us again.

2. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

No thank you to Bell, I agree with your sentiments ... same goes for Mack sure I would love to have him but this isn't realistic ... as for Dante Fowler here is an interesting possibility. He has the potential to be a double digit sack guy heck I would take 7 a year and would gladly give up a third rounder for him.

NCJetsfan and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Draft a stud LT with our 2019 first rounder and we're good to go.

4. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

IF Khalil Mack were in the 2019 draft would he be BPA for the Jets?

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Even forgetting his cap cost, not at 27-28 years of age.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Doubtful since the 2019 Jet draft position will be significantly better than 2018. We should be in the top 15, but not the top 5.

TonyFtLaud and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

agree with what everyone said here re: overspending etc however...

I could be wrong on this but....Under normal circumstances a team would have to over pay for them but I think people are failing to take into account the cap hell the raiders and jaguars are staring down. Other teams know this. They aren't going to get fair compensation for Mack or Fowler. They're going to have to take what they can get or let them walk in free agency.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

If all of that is correct then the Jets should be in competition for both. But, Mack may want too much to resign so that might not be worth it and Fowler could be headcase and therefore not worth it.

I hope they have no interest in overpaying or signing problem children.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Mack would be a top 3 pick in most drafts

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we make the playoffs this year I would settle for a pro bowl guard in round one next year.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Mac spending money in 2015 did not set the team back years.

The premise of this thread is false imo..
    Spending in FA does not prohibit a team from drafting well.

I expect the team to be very active in FA next season, and rightfully so.
    I also expect them to draft a few solid players.

IIMeanDeanII, Brook!, Noam and 3 others like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

It certainly set them back a few years. They could've done then what was done last year and we would be in Year 3 and looking to contend. Instead it will be Year 4 before we likely make the playoffs, and Year 5 before being legitimate contenders for the Sb.

Spending on FA's in theory doesn't necessarily preclude drafting well, but in practice it does because when you sign a FA you change your perceived needs. If that means that you then pass over a stud in that position who goes on to becoming a Pro Bowler, that FA had better be at last tat good, and even if he is, the draftee will wind up playing longer for you.

I hope that they draft a few studs in 2019,and 2020 but if they trade away their top picks, that reduces the odds of that significantly.

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I think Mack is a pipe dream, but Fowler might be a realistic option if he's actually available. He wouldn't cost us a first round pick an $20M a year like Mack would.

Bell is an interesting take. Personally I wouldn't want to sign Bell to the mega contract he wants, but I would throw something at him in the ball park of a three year range with most of the money front loaded. Even though he has a lot of wear and tear, he would still be an excellent addition to our offense and he would be of immense help to Darnold. It's just a matter of $$$ with Bell.

EDIT: Do agree with you that we can't rush it. If Darnold is the real deal we have a four year SB window because of the rookie pay scale, there is no sense in blowing our loads after year one with Darnold.

13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ColoradoContrails

So much for supposedly being a Jets fan growing up!

15. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Hypothetically speaking Kahlil Mack would not be around by the middle of the 2019 draft, hence he'd be a steal. :D

Cman68, FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  16. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Fowler is 100p available. He will be leaving the team this off-season. They want to get something for him.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

While drafting well is important, we also need to take advantage of having a QB on his rookie contract as it won't last forever. Need to be active in FA and go after the productive players in their 20's like Robinson, who signed with the Bears. As I said in other threads, there are certain position we need to find in the draft like RB and LT. If Diggs hits the market, he'd be one of my top targets. Ditto Clowney and Barr.

nyjetsmets89 likes this.
  18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

For Mack I would be willing to part with a 1st, but not for Fowler. I would be willing to trade for him in general but for something like Teddy and a 3rd.

19. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

And if I was a GM this is exactly why I wouldn't go after Bell, he wouldn't come here for the amount of money I'd offer him.

EDIT: But if Darnold shows he's the real deal then players are going to want to come here, at that time in the off season we didn't know who our future QB was and were coming off a 5-11 season (albeit 3 or 4 really close games that could've been won)